Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

ghost13
Adept III

No FRTC in 20.4.2 Driver

Hello again!

I am still not Happy with the way AMD listen or do not listen to us!

No FRTC Frame Rate Target Control in 20.4.2 Driver / Not listet in Release Notes / Disappointing!!!

I will repeat that to the POINT where we get some Answers or much better where we get Frame Rate Target Control back!

Bring back FRTC!!!

Thank you!

S@M
13 Replies

you are better off using in-game settings

0 Likes

True, but in game FRTC setting is not always available. Even when it is, it often gives choices like 30, 60, 144, 200 and not allow user fine control to set 59 or 58 FPS. 
Alternative is MSI Afterburner RivaTuner if you can get RivaTuner to work standalone that's great.
If you have to use MSI Afterburner Rivatuner built in with Afterburner that can conflict with AMD Driver settings set by Crimson/Crimson ReLive/Adrenalin/Adrenalin 2019/Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI. Wattman settings and Fan curves are most often affected by MSI Afterburner. 

AMD Adrenalin seems to have obsoleted the functions in Afterburner I was using. I was using it for extra power and a custom fan curve. At least Adremalin saves settings so I do not have to manually intervene like I had to with Afterburner.

After the disaster of a bad driver from NVIDIA that baked my rig, I still to this day vigilantly watch for problems.

Steam has a FPS counter so I can tweak game settings if the game is too laggy etc

0 Likes

I disagree. My testing with Assetto Corsa on a fixed frame rate monitor with Enhanced Sync begs to differ.

0 Likes

assiduous wrote:

I disagree. My testing with Assetto Corsa on a fixed frame rate monitor with Enhanced Sync begs to differ.

I have the enhanced sync on my LG panel which requires a more recent card to be able to leverage it properly

0 Likes

Hi ghost13.

We have no chance of AMD putting it back in the Adrenalin 2020 GUI, based on previous response I got.
Global FRTC and running games with game engine VSync off, MultiGPU, or no FreeSync monitor is only useful for AMD "Boomer" Customers, apparently.

I think it is time AMD users come up with their own alternative GUI solution for AMD drivers.
Maybe since AMD is really into "Open-source software" for their Linux driver GUI (i.e. there isn't a decent easy to use one yet from AMD) they can tell us how we could start a project on GitHub using the old QT based GUI?

QT GUI Designer can be used for free unless it is for commercial use.
Who knows how long Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI code will be maintained or allowed to "work" with Adrenalin 2020 Drivers?
Might be time for a bunch of interested AMD users to get coding but we would need information how to hook directly into the AMD Driver interface.

I don't think so. It is not on us! We can deliver feedback but they have to fix that Driver!

Nvidia has a FRTC and we as AMD users had one and it was fine but they ... i don't know... Why AMD? Why remove FRTC?

S@M

RE: I don't think so. It is not on us! 

If you mean coding GUI software so we have some way to bring back FRTC? 
I agree we shouldn't have to do it.

I am "used to" AMD zero GUI/UI Driver support for Ubuntu & Linux OS.
I was so annoyed that I had to hunt through low level settings in the OS, just to check fan speed and clock speed.
I worked on testing and did some code modifications and compilations and feedback on this:
https://community.amd.com/thread/231110 

If you look at the GUI/UI on that it looks very outdated.
No time to write the AMD Adrenalin style GUI interface at the time.
If Adrenalin GUI/UI had been Open Source, then the GUI/UI could have matched the AMD style at least.

0 Likes
ghost13
Adept III

I don't now why this should be a problem to bring back FRTC. Nvidia now has one but AMD was first but they take it away with that new Driver update.

It is time for us to get some credit from AMD and that they talk with us so that they can learn what we as the users really need.

Why they not get in touch with us about some problems like the FRTC "thing" is beyond me! Why we have this Forum for when not 1 Person reacts.

I was sending PM to some AMD Workers but sadly there was nothing...

S@M
ghost13
Adept III

Hi there!

I got a message back from a nice Person. Thank you!

I will not post any names.

I was asking about FRTC and that was the response:

thanks for your feedback! I've provided your input to the team and they are aware of people asking for this feature to come back. Meanwhile, what you can do is enable Chill and manually set your min and max caps to the same target FPS. This will have the same effect as FRTC.  Hopefully this helps! 

S@M
0 Likes

Except it isn't the same...

0 Likes

I know i know... But Finally i got a Answer

S@M
0 Likes

I second this. I tested FRTC along side Chill, Rivatuner statistic server, and in game limiting and determined FRTC to be the only one that would completely eliminate stutter in my application. I was surprised by this but my testing was conclusive.

This Reddit post provides an explaination - Difference between Radeon Chill's max fps and FRTC? : Amd 

"4) You would basically prefer to use FRTC if you have a fixed-framerate monitor, and you want to submit frames at the refresh rate, but in this case it becomes the same as VSync....... "

...ah but we have the option to enable Enhanced Sync. The smoothest, most responsive, most efficient experience on a fixed frame rate monitor is achieved by matching the refresh rate, with just in time frame rendering through the use of triple buffering which requires the use of both FRTC and Enhanced Sync for Radeon GPUs.

Seems that if everyone had a variable refresh monitor, then there might be an argument to retire FRTC. However AMD has clearly moved too quickly on this to the irritation of many from what i can see.

0 Likes