cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

andys876
Adept I

Newer Drivers causing issues on 144Hz

I use an RX470 dual monitor setup with the main monitor being a 144. Initially when I first tried out the 144, I was getting tons of lag and stuttering on the latest drivers. After tons of reboots, unplugging and plugging, swapping cables, reinstalling drivers, etc. nothing worked. I did all I could and reverted to older drivers. I started off with 17.7.1 and worked my way up gradually. I'm not 100% sure but anywhere past 18.5.1, bugs out my monitor. Again, not 100% sure but definitely know that newer drivers do cause lag/major stuttering. Is there any solution to this? Don't really like using older drivers but it's all I can do at the moment in order to play my games. If it's of any importance the monitor is an MSI G24C.

1 Solution
bernie8001
Adept II

Thank you for supplying the monitor type you have. Yes that is 100% relevant. I bought the MSI Optix G27C2 after a bit of research and though it would be good. I had the same issues with Display Port connected. Would get micro stuttering/freezing/lag. Tried a second computer with the same results. Dug deeper and it's 18.x.x drivers that cause this issue. Rolled back the drivers to 17.12.1 and it worked just fine. You can try HDMI, that worked just fine. I returned that monitor and got the MSI Optix MAG instead, no issues. I think it might just be something with the MSI Optix GxxC monitors since you and I are not the first to have this issue but surprised that it hasn't been complained about sooner to get resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
benman2785
Big Boss

RADEON SETTINGS -> DISPLAY -> SPECS -> OVERRIDE -> disable HDCP Support
try again

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Already is disabled

0 Likes

On the 144 HZ at least

0 Likes
bernie8001
Adept II

Thank you for supplying the monitor type you have. Yes that is 100% relevant. I bought the MSI Optix G27C2 after a bit of research and though it would be good. I had the same issues with Display Port connected. Would get micro stuttering/freezing/lag. Tried a second computer with the same results. Dug deeper and it's 18.x.x drivers that cause this issue. Rolled back the drivers to 17.12.1 and it worked just fine. You can try HDMI, that worked just fine. I returned that monitor and got the MSI Optix MAG instead, no issues. I think it might just be something with the MSI Optix GxxC monitors since you and I are not the first to have this issue but surprised that it hasn't been complained about sooner to get resolved.

0 Likes

Wow, thanks for the reply. I got the monitor on sale for $150, which is pretty cheap for a 144, in my opinion. Reverting back to 18.3.4 seems to work fine for all my games and there hasn't been any other issues.

0 Likes