cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Team Discussions

iamthesaga
Miniboss

New GPUs Announced from the Green Team

With the oh so recent announcement of the new line of NVIDIA GPUs, what is everyone's thoughts and feelings about it?  Coming in with some impressive specs and very competitive pricing, do you think Polaris will out match it? With the GTX1080 coming in at $599 and the GTX1070 at $379, how well will AMD's new line compete with them.  I believe there is a perfect product for everyone and these are not for me.  I am anxious to see what will come from AMD.

1070.PNG

1080.PNG

Tags (4)
32 Replies
william
Challenger

Re: New GPUs Announced from the Green Team

I think Polaris will be worth it and even if they have the same performance and pricing I would go with Polaris card because as someone who had products from both brands I like AMDs card better.

Not to mention that I want AMD to success and compete against intel and nvidia. The more competition and motivation to push the development of new products the better for end user. And this can only happen if we support AMD.

benman2785
Big Boss

looks like Nvidia is pushing baseclock to the sky to reach high TFLOPS

i think Founders-Edition are factory-sorted chips that take higher clocks or/and spread less heat

just think about it -> Fury x gets 7% less TFLOPS with just 60% base-clock => Fury calcs (again) WAY BETTER than Nvidias new generation, but Nvidia managed to save some power // will be hard work for a new AMD NANO

PC: R7 2700X @4.1GHz + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
akariko
Adept III

AMD built towards the future with DX12 (Mantle) where NVIDIA and even microsoft were lazy. NVIDIA might just take a hit because of it (yes I know, they SAY once again that this time the card will support async.compute). The released specs from the 1080 and 1070 seem sweet, but we have no insight in the benchmarks (which resolutions were used?) and those events are always highly exaggerated. 1080 is better than a Titan X - okay so was the 980ti. Better than 980 sli, but the 980 wasn't such an impressive card. If you would adjust the clockspeed of the 1080 to those of previous cards the performance gain is actually very unimpressive. I have complete faith in AMD, who delivered the first HBM card, who has been investing in DX12 for god knows how long and who is building on 14nm now! The bang for buckness of AMD has always been sweet, and I think it'll be sweeter than ever with Polaris (and Zen!).

The only thing I really hope for is that AMD just blasts NVIDIA away without a doubt. 390 over 970 anyday, a no brainer even, yet the difference isn't quite compelling enough to get rid of bad comparison reviews and silence green team fanboys.

0 Kudos
iamthesaga
Miniboss

That is exactly what I was expecting to hear.  I think the AMD Radeon cards are fantastic.  It is exactly why I am working towards getting an AMD card.  I also believe that it was kind of a good thing that NVIDIA came to market first with the new generation of product because now AMD will know exactly what the competition has to offer.  Personally, as of now, I think the R9 380(x) would be great for me.  It would be more than what I need but give me room to grow into it and at a very good price point for what it offers. 

0 Kudos
qwixt
Forerunner

From the one report I read, the founders edition is nothing special.

Difference Between GTX 1080 'Founder's Edition,' Reference, & AIBs | Gamers Nexus - Gaming PC Builds...

geekavenger
Adept II

Until independent benchmarks come out it is hard for me to even read numbers published by the chip makers (AMD included, but Nvidia even more so).  They are always honest but with an eye towards trying to put on their best face.  I think one thing that is a good sign is that with the process shrink they were able to push a lot of clock speed on only one 8 PIN power Connector.  I am very eager to see what Polaris has to offer, being slightly smaller @14nm instead of 16nm and after seeing what AMD did with the Nano.

Red Team or Green, 2016 looks like it will be pretty exciting for PC gamers.

brucer
Forerunner

The first thing I will do is wait, AMD has not impressed me with the Fury gpu.. The new amd architecture hasnt proven anything to me as of yet.

0 Kudos
brucer
Forerunner

The 1080 running Doom with Vulcan api..  DOOM with Vulkan API on GeForce GTX 1080 - YouTube

0 Kudos
brucer
Forerunner

The Founders edition is basically the reference card..  The only difference is AMD is going to keep their gpu's in the mainstream market.. The secondary manufacturers (evga,msi and such) gpu's will be cheaper than the founders edition gpu's accordign to several guys on youtube, evidently nvidia is changing their business model..

What interests me is Nvidia stated at the press release, the 1070 will run faster than the current titan-x at 1/3rd the power and priced at $380,  if so thats going to wreck the current market, Fury's, Nanos and Fury-x will have to be priced at $300 to just compete, which if the numbers of the 1070 are actually fact, the fury,nano and fury-x will be pretty much obsolete..

I dont think dx12 is going to be all its talked up to be, just look at windows10, its not that impressive, so I dont see dx12 being all that.  Anyway, I bet nvidia isnt left out of dx12, they are a sneaky company and much smarter than that.