cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

episke
Adept I

My RX5600XT keeps crashing

I own a Gigabyte RX5600XT gaming OC-6GB, I have been experiencing game crashes which occur at random and BSOD while exiting full screen on YouTube. Sometimes I can get an hour in and sometimes it crashes five minutes into the game. I have turned of GPU acceleration in background apps, added 15% to power draw and set manual fan control to keep the GPU from having any thermal issues. All Radeon features are off including re-live. My windows version is 1909, up to date, and even updated the chip-set just to see if it might work. Any tips to work around or fix until better drivers release?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000 MHz

MoBo: AsRock B450 Gaming K4

GPU: Gigabyte RX5600XT Gaming OC

PSU: EVGA 550W

Windows: Ver. 1909 with the latest updates.

Adrenalin Ver. 20.4.1

I have already sent a couple driver issue reports to AMD regarding the crashes, maybe they're already fixing it?

0 Likes
10 Replies
benman2785
Big Boss

i think your RAM (Vengeance RGB 3000) is not stable
what you described sounds like it.

also try to use 19.12.1 or latest driver and check again

if still BSOD you should revert XMP/OC of RAM to 2133 and check again

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes
episke
Adept I

My RAM is by default 3000Mhz. But I have noticed while using the metrics overlay that my card struggles to reach over 140w, even with a +20% power limit,while at 99% utilization while the new VBIOS said the new TDP would be 180w. With a 500W 80+ Bronze it should be sufficient enough to reach its full potential. Could a problem with power delivery be the cause my card to be unstable?

0 Likes

I don't know the answer in detail, but I can try to help by using the power

of the Googles

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes

The Short answer to your question is Yes.

The medium-sized answer is that your PSU and MB might not be supplying

enough power to the devices or that it could be getting cut off by the OS.

The fix? Create a custom power plan with your PCI-E Power Settings Set to

Maximum Performance and turn off any suspend settings.

also, Take the Silicon lottery into account and possibly accept that your

card has a hardware issue... It could be overheating due to

inadequate cooling, or your GPU Drivers might be Outdated.

The Navi cards share a similar issue, Roses are red, violets are blue, if

you're AMD then ASUS is blaming you.

Hope this helped, also if you need more clarification,

feel free to reply to this comment...

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 4:16 PM Alexander Hixson <alexanderh3014@gmail.com>

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.

RE:" Roses are red, violets are blue, if

you're AMD then ASUS is blaming you."

I do not know what ASUS have been doing w.r.t. AMD GPUs since their RX Vega AIB cards were launched.
I did see they announced some newer models to fix the RX5700XT problems though.

Sapphire and PowerColor at least seem to have been consistently doing a professional job and manufacturing very high quality AIB cards for both Vega and Navi, although the PowerColor Red Dragon RX5700XT seems to be getting bad feedback on a number of retailer sites, whist their cheapest dual fan RX5700XT is getting very good feedback from what I can see.

0 Likes

Umm, Will this help. ASUS Warns Of ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700 Series Thermal Issues And Points To AMD 

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes

Thank you for this!

You haven't tried to install it yet... You might not be thanking me at all.
Quite the reverse.
Make sure you update Windows before you attempt to install it and run a full system backup first. 
I am having a hell of a time trying to get it to install.
Thanks.

0 Likes
episke
Adept I

I have found a fix. Turns out the 5600XT is quite sensitive to VRAM overclocking. Please revert your VBIOS to the more stable version (F2 for gigabyte) and use the radeon settings to overclock the GPU only, not the vram. With some tinkering I have found that OC the VRAM to the new VBIOS standards ends in a green screen/ crash and this may be the underlying issue for hardware crashing/ hard reboots.

To fix the driver issue, this video helped a lot and have not experienced a single game crash (Just a green screen from manual VRAM OC). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5f6wJ5Jz_Q&list=WL&index=28&t=0s

0 Likes