cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

Low FPS with sapphire radeon rx 5700 xt nitro+ special edition

I bought yesterday new Shappire AMD RX 5700 XT Nitro+ Special Edition and installed new amd adrenalin driver 19.12.3 and Update Windows all... worked all good testet Benchmarks and that GPU can up to 2050 MHZ without Problems! But when I start Starcraft 2 and play it I see the FPS is so slow Avg less than 45 FPS.... before I got nVidia GTX 970 never had that Problem with Starcraft 2 FPS up to 60....

How is that possibile that sapphire radeon rx 5700 xt nitro+ special edition less than 40 FPS under Starcraft 2 and Call of Duty WW2? I see my friend get over 160+ FPS... that impossibile why I have less than 40 FPS...

Thanks and greetings

Peter

69 Replies

The Game Advisor in Adrenalin 2020 often reports total nonsense for Average FPS.
It is always on so if a game cutscene video runs at 30 FPS or alternatively a loading screen runs at 300FPS that gets counted.
So if you game crashes or you only run for a few minutes after launching the results are especially skewed.

Sometimes just using the Performance Overlay to display FPS degrades performance by a few percent.

Is the Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2 driver reporting the correct clocks for your card now?

Please post screenshots of the graphics settings you have used on CSGO. Please expand the Advanced Tabs.
Also please post a picture of all of the Graphics and Global Graphics and display settings you are using.
Also please post expanded view of the Tune Game Performance Tab.

I realize this may take many screenshots with the new Adrenalin 2020 interface but it is the only way to check your settings.

I can take a look at COD performance on RX Vega 64 Liquid if you show me the settings you are using.
It generally performs ~ as well as an RX5700XT if I overclock the HBM2 memory a bit.

I can also compare RTX2080 performance.

Others may be able to complare performance on their RX5700XT cards.

It may be that Nvidia cards run CSGO better in DX11 because they have a Multithreaded DX11 driver.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Correction : I can take a look at CSGO performance on RX Vega 64 Liquid if you show me the settings you are using...

0 Likes

So whenever I see the clock keeps changing. In my Nvidia Card the base core clock was 1600 Mhz and it never went below that. But this thing is playing with frequencies like it is meant to take care of its own well being first before actually giving me some good fps. I dont know maybe AMD thought I was an FQA Compliance tester or what rather than a gamer. I am almost having a heart attack now cuz the seller wont take this card back. I am literally crying right now while writing.

Anyways as you can see the settings are default and I dont know whether it has multiple BIOS or what. I have posted a screenshot below. Please have a look at them and I really appreciate you are looking into this sir. I am 30 year old grinder  But still crying

pastedImage_6.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_5.png

0 Likes

There is a picture of the BIOS switch here:

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+ Special Edition Review | TechPowerUp 

Sapphire made good use of that area by positioning their BIOS switch feature here. The second BIOS runs at reduced fan speed for a quieter experience. Please note that the BIOS switch supports three positions. From left to right, these are "default", "quiet", and "performance". With the default setting active, you are able to change the BIOS selection using Sapphire's TRIXX software. While the switch itself is instant, a reboot is required for the new BIOS to activate as the BIOS/driver only reads the BIOS during startup.

Testing CSGO now with your specified display resolution and settings.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

CSGO Settings. I have FRTC turned on for the Nvidia Palit RTX2080 OC used as the GPU in this screenshot.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

If you are not a csgo pplayer then I must tell you that you need to enable console from game settings, then hit ` button and enter fps_max 0 to enable max fps

0 Likes

Yes I have tried max_fps 0, max_fps 300 etc.
I checked if there was a max_fps limiter in the game engine.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Palit RTX2080 OC. CSGO Italy Deathmatch against BOTs. ~ 220 FPS outside. GPU running at stock but fan speed maxed out.
Ryzen 2700X running at 4.3GHz.
64GB RAM running at 3200MHz.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

I retested the above and I can get 352 FPS at same settings.
It looks like MultiCore Rendering may have been disabled, even though settings show it is enabled.
So I advise changing settings, applying, exiting and restarting the game and rechecking to make sure the graphics settings are correct.
The RX Vega 64 Liquid is still producing better FrameRates so far though.

0 Likes

RX Vega 64 Liquid.
Undervolted and 0.5% GPU SCLK Overclock.
HBM2 running at 1120MHz.
Ryzen 2700X running at 4.3GHz.
64GB RAM running at 3200MHz.

I am getting 362 FPS on the RX Vega 64 Liquid.

pastedImage_4.png

Here are the game settings:
pastedImage_5.png

pastedImage_6.png

As you can see I had to run the AMD RX Vega 64 Liquid at slightly higher resolution of 1280 x 1024 on DisplayPort versus 1280x960 on the RTX2080 OC on DisplayPort.

Since RX5700XT is supposed to be faster than RX Vega 64 I would expect your card to do better, however it is probably compared to RX Vega 64 reference at stock settings and not an HBM2 overclocked RX Vega 64 Liquid.

Note the resolution is so low the MCLK is sitting at 800 MHz though.

I am using Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 for the above test.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes

I just noticed that I had FXAA enabled for some reason for the RX Vega 64 Liquid with Adrenalin 19.12.1.
This will reduce performance by a few FPS for these settings.
Since there is NO WAY I am putting up with the Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI - I will uninstall it and reinstall Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 and report the difference in FPS by running with FXAA off.
Thanks.

0 Likes

FXAA off = about the same performance as FXAA on in Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1.

Here is a working Game Advisor Result:

pastedImage_1.png

I can run the game at 4K with similar performance...

0 Likes

4K Maximum settings:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Dropping the frequency of the 2700X from 4.3GHz down to 3.6GHz dropped the CSGO FPS from FPS = 362 to FPS=347.
I will reluctantly (I hate the GUI/UI and it has been unstable so far) install Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2 and see how it performs on CSGO next.

Interesting that the AMD XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid can beat a Palit RTX2080 OC on this DirectX 9 game based on my attempt so far.
The RX Vega 64 Liquid has been undervolted and overclocked, especially the HBM2 memory.
I will go back and take a look at overclocking the RTX 2080 OC later, but for now, AMD is winning hands down...

RE: It may be that Nvidia cards run CSGO better in DX11 because they have a Multithreaded DX11 driver.

Except that CSGO is DirectX 9 ...
My mistake.

0 Likes

Right here goes.

I have run DDU and performed Factory Reset install of Adrenalin 2020.
Here are the screenshots of this awful, messy, badly layed out and hard to use interface.

Global Graphics:

pastedImage_1.png
pastedImage_2.png

Game Graphics:

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

Global Display:

pastedImage_5.png

Performance Tuning - which I just noticed does not understand 0.5% GPU overclock on the performance slider when loaded from Adrenalin 2019 Profile: 

pastedImage_6.png

pastedImage_7.png

Adrenalin 2020 GUI delenda est.

0 Likes

What frequency are you running your Ryzen 1800x at?
I am running the 2700X at a constant 4.3 GHz.
The CPU speed will likely dominate performance at such low resolutions.
I will drop teh CPU frequency to 3.6GHz and see how much the FPS drops to on the RX Vega 64 Liquid next.

Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2 seems to be giving me slightly lower performance and I do not believe the GPU1 SCLK numbers.
Here is the result of running CSGO on the RX Vega 64 Liquid with Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2.

It is slightly lower at about 356 FPS is you believe the Radeon Performance overlay or 353 FPS if you believe Steam FPS counter.
They do not match despite using fastest polling rate.

The Radeon Performance Overlay Custom location would not work at all.
I was unable to display the overlay in the Top RHS or Bottom RHS of the screen.

The Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI is a total pain to use.

pastedImage_1.png

Here are the settings used:

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

Here are the reported FPS numbers from the Always On Game Advisor it is reporting only 112.1 FPS...
pastedImage_4.png

game_p
Journeyman III

Yes it is. but what am I supposed to do with this. My question is, is there any way I can keep the base frequency of this card at fixed 1840 Mhz which might give me constant 220-230 fps or maybe I should accept the fact that Nvidia is really the game changer, which might provide lower frequencies but is good with its CUDA cores and solid structure.

Seems like I will have to beg to the seller to take this junk of card back and give me a 2070 Super instead for some extra bucks. At least I will have a decent fps to play. Anyways thanks for the help.

0 Likes

RE:

Yes it is. but what am I supposed to do with this.

I do not own an RX5700XT because I have refused to buy one because of price, AMD Drivers and AIB card construction issues.
I have given a data point to show that an RX Vega 64 Liquid can run at high FPS in CSGO.
The assumption is the RX5700XT should also be able to do that.

So we need someone to help who owns the same card as you and a similar CPU  to run CSGO with Adrenalin 20-2-2 and Adrenalin 19.12.1.
I know someone who does own the same card and a newer version of the Ryzen Processor.
I will try to contact them next and see if they are prepared to put their Superman Outfit on and fly in to help you out.

RE:
My question is, is there any way I can keep the base frequency of this card at fixed 1840 Mhz which might give me constant 220-230 fps. 
First of all did you check the VBIOS swich on your GPU?
Can you please tell me what position it is in?

You might be able to use Wattman states to prevent the GPU from downclocking if that is the issue.
You may have to set your power limit to maximum. 

You might have to set the fans to maximum.

There may simply be a problem with running DirectX 9 on these GPUs.

RE: Or maybe I should accept the fact that Nvidia is really the game changer, which might provide lower frequencies but is good with its CUDA cores and solid structure.

Yet an old (launched 14 August 2017) RX Vega 64 Liquid on GF/Samsung 14nm process is able to beat an Nvidia RTX 2080 OC (launched September 20, 2018) on TSMC 12nm FinFet process n this instance.
Nvidia is not always better.

Seems like I will have to beg to the seller to take this junk of card back and give me a 2070 Super instead for some extra bucks. At least I will have a decent fps to play.

You might have to return the GPU to the seller.
Or you might want to keep it for now and see if we can get you some help to fix the problem?
That Sapphire Nitro SE card must be one of the best RX5700XT GPUs available.
How does it perform in DX12, Vulkan, and modern DX11 games?
It does look like AMD are working hard to fix BlackScreening and Hanging issues in the latest Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2. drivers.
At least you have only had this GPU for a short time and it seems like AMD are trying to improve driver reliability.

RE: Anyways thanks for the help.

No problem.

Let me see if i can get someone with the same GPU as you to test CSGO at the same settings.

Bye.

0 Likes

I have asked someone if they are prepared to repeat the testing using their Sapphire RX5700XT Nitro SE for you.
Let's wait and see what happens.
Maybe someone else will read this thread and try to help as well.
That's all I can do for you for now.
I will go back and look at the RTX2080OC performance just for my own interest.
I will post here if i manage to get better results with that GPU.
Good Luck.

Test map used to look at performance on CSGO:
pastedImage_1.png

I tried again with the Palit RTX 2080 OC. Fans Maxed to 100%.

pastedImage_1.png

Here are the settings used:
pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

0 Likes

Ok, so after hours of digging and begging, I might have come to the conclusion. First thank you for the active support you tried to provide. Really appreciate it. Second, I tried returning the Card to the seller but he shooed me away, without understanding the concern . I must say to my fellow Indians if you are reading this and live in New Delhi India or around do not purchase from Laptop Computer Store in Nehru Place. Those guys dont have any idea what they are selling to customers like us who just throw money for better fps. Many people in Youtube comments are complaining about this same issue as I have.

Now coming to the point maybe I have figured what is wrong :

1. It is inevitable that the GPU 'will definitely underclock' itself under high temperatures as this particular card gets hot as hell. I changed the BIOS switch to performance mode and the temperature while playing games was going to 90 degrees. I would not recommend doing that if not liquid cooling the card. Btw the fps issue was not solved even in performance mode.

2. My processor is three Generations old, I have a Ryzen 7 1800x sitting its back on my Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming Ultra Mobo. Now while reading the specifications again after my 1.5 years of purchase, I noticed that PCIE slot x16 and x8 conform to PCIE 3 standard and my GPU is inserted in my PCIEx16 slot which ideally should not be compatible as the GPU has a PICE 4  chip. Maybe because of this my GPU is not able to work at full potential and not able to to draw actual performance from the CPU. 

Screenshot from Aorus website

pastedImage_1.png

Screenshot from Sapphire website: 

pastedImage_2.png

colesdav‌ I would really appreciate your opinion on this if that is the reason for the underperformance of my GPU. maybe getting a motherboard with PCIE 4 support and newer generation processor will help. Thanks

0 Likes

Hi,

I think you should thank buggzluva since he agreed to help me out and ran a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700XT SE card for you and posted a video for you showing it running CSGO.

What Ambient temperature are you running at? I am ~ 18'C.

What temperature is going to 90'C?
Are you talking GPU peak Temps, VRAM Tremps or GPU Average Temps?
Note that RX5700XT report peak GPU Die Tems as well as average GPU Die Temps.
An RX Vega 64 Liquid only reports Average GPU Die Temps.
Both Radeon VII and RX5700XT have improved thermal control versus RX Vega 64 cards.

I do not think that PCIe 4.0 versus PCIe 3.0 bandwidth should be a concern at all, especially not for CSGO running at low resolution of 1208x1024 or lower.
I think the RX5700XT has full PCIe4.0x16 interface.
So dropping doen to PCIe 3.0x16 should be fine.

Note my RX Vega 64 Liquid tests were run at PCIe3.0x8.

0 Likes

Your processor performance will be a big factor in the FPS you get in CGSO at these low graphices settings and resolutions.

Are you sure you are killing all uneeded processes?

Have you seen this thread?

Ryzen 7 users- what FPS do you get in CS:GO and what res/ display settings do you play on? : Amd

Specifically:

"For all you guys running CS:GO on Ryzen, you should definitely try out ProcessLasso

Specifically it allows you to set CPU affinity for each process (csgo.exe in this case)

After extensive testing with a friend of mine, we found that setting csgo.exe to use CPU 0,8,10,12,14 gave the best performance by far. (On my 1800X + GTX1080)

My benchmark results (running Ulleticals CS:GO fps benchmark map from the Steam workshop) are still a bit crude but I'll paste the relevant results:

Test 1 (No CPU affinities + 1280x1024 + all settings on low/lowest)

416.59 fps

Test 2 (No CPU affinities + 1920x1080 + all settings on low/lowest)

370.93 fps

Test 39 (CPU affinity 0,8,10,12,14 + 1280x1024 + all settings on low/lowest)

479.27 fps

Test 42 (CPU affinity 0,8,10,12,14 + 1920x1080 + all settings on low/lowest)

427.99 fps

Test 7 (4.0GHz + 2667MHz @ 16-16-16-38 + CPU affinity 0,8,10,12,14 + 1280x1024 + all settings on low/lowest)

501.64 fps (yes with a decent overclock, settings on low, and the right CPU affinities, CS:GO can break 500fps on the FPS benchmark!)

So with default CPU affinities @ 1280x1024 = 416.59 fps VS using 0,8,10,12,14 @ 1280x1024 = 479.27 fps... that's about a 15% improvement.

And default CPU affinities @ 1920x1080 = 370.93 fps VS using 0,8,10,12,14 @ 1920x1080 = 427.99 fps... that's again about a 15% improvement.

What's also really great about assigning CSGO to CPU 0,8,10,12,14 is being able to use the other CPUs for OBS streaming (right now I'm using CPU 2,3,4,5,6,7 for OBS). This way the OBS threads and CSGO threads don't clash at all.

I'm still working on finding the ideal OBS settings to stream at, but right now I'm able to run CSGO at 1920x1080 with all video settings on maximum, and stream at 1920x1080 60fps with pretty great quality, and my fps in-game is around 200-300 and it's nice and smooth no stutters or fps drops or input lag or anything like that.

Seems like Ryzen is actually a really great option for single PC CS:GO streaming!"

Thanks.

0 Likes

You could also use task manager

Make sure you are seeing all of the task managers, (if not, click show more

at the bottom of the window)

Then Right-Click the Application, ie CS:GO

Then click go to details

then find the app (should be highlighted)

Right-click in the details menu, and click set priority and then select the

level you desire for that app, also make sure that your affinity is set to

all cores. for games, I would suggest setting the priority to realtime, or

high. (Realtime is more recommended)

I have a lower performance PC, and I can notice a drop in latency when I

turn up the priority of my games. also, make sure you have the latest

drivers installed, and make sure that the drivers are the ones for your

graphics card and whatever other hardware you have. If you aren't sure

about what GPU driver to get AMD has an auto-installer that will

automatically choose the best GPU driver for your hardware.

also, Motherboard is SUPER important the better your motherboard the better

your computer will perform. also memory, and "Disc"

Overall, the fewer bottlenecks you have in your system, the better it will

perform.

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes

Issue is fixed now. And you know what, s***w AMD for this. I borrowed an AMD 3700x from....lets just say, I know a guy who knows a guy who happens to know a guy. Upon installing the processor the fps went from avg 120 to whopping avg 370. Thats it, just like that, my processor which was a total beast in 2017 when it was released is obsolete in just 1 year. Turns out people having 2nd gen Ryzen can have more fps because their processor is very much efficient than mine??? In a year??

So I sold my Mobo, GPU and processor at a cheap rate to a video editor, went to the market and somehow arranged for a 10th Gen Intel i5, cheap Asus Prime mobo and a MSI Gaming X GTX 1660Ti. Average fps....430-470 in high load combat and 600 fps in explorer mode.

You know, putting out new generation every year saying "New Technology" causing a dent and pushing back less fortunate people like me every year is not a good market strategy you know, good luck with your sales numbers, I will continue to enlighten people to keep faith in Nvidia and Intel. Goodbye AMD, my life was better without you.

0 Likes