cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

marcchoi1998
Adept I

Image sharpening/Resolution upscaling

I saw a video showing that 75% resolution scale with image sharpening looked as good as the native resolution. How true is this? Wouldn't this increase fps and quality from a lower resolution, which is what DLSS does? Like it may not be from the same method, but if it produces the same result, then who the heck cares? I am just getting confused because if what I am saying is right, then why do people say AMD does not have a counter to DLSS? This is all just speculation, but if AMD made a preset option to apply the above settings, give it a cool name, then AMD has an immediate and temporary super-resolution like thing. Benchmarks favor Nvidia especially when DLSS is turned on, but they do not talk about AMD's settings that are like it. It makes it all seem biased, and also why is the only video that helped somewhat clarified what image sharpening did was from a year ago and that no one knows what it is, including major tech reviewers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MLr1nijHIo&t=442s&ab_channel=HardwareUnboxed

0 Likes
1 Solution

Currently AMD doesn't have settings like DLSS. That is why people say that. The literally have nothing like it. They say they are working on something but don't say if it is or is not like the Nvidia solution but do say that they are working toward a solution that will be open source. Right now even without DLSS at native resolution. With RT enabled Nvidia looks better than AMD's implementation of Ray Tracing according to many reviewers. I personally don't have either camps new cards so no personal experience. I do however have an RTX 2070 super and can tell you for instance that DLSS 2.0 and the upcoming DLSS 3 are the real deal. Yes when DLSS fist came out it looked pretty bad and not worth using because of it. However that very quickly changed. Within a few months not only did it look better but frame rates improve even more, in some case by a lot. Many of the games with ray tracing right now don't support but 1 or 2 features available. In those games AMD is comparable to last gen Nvidia ray tracing if you didn't use DLSS on nvidia. However a game like control that uses all the features or minecraft rtx that is fully path traced well the AMD RT implementation just bogs down to unplayable. If and when they get DLSS like tech thqt will help AMD a lot. I will bet that RDNA3 will likely have much better RT speed as well. This is after all AMD's first gen on RT. 

Now I agree with you and in general I really am not that discriminating with a picture being a bit worse personally for better frames. I use the sharpening feautures to make older games or even some AAA games at 1440p look better on my 4k tv, as my 2070 sup just can't do 4k in many new games. It still looks pretty good to me. Plus the TV itself has upsampling tech built in. As far as normal image sharpening goes team red and green are pretty much equal in that regard but that tech is not the same thing as DLSS.

DLSS isn't just sharpening the pixels on screen. It uses artificial intelligence to take a lower resolution and upsample it to look like near native resolution. Thus reducing bandwidth and being much faster to draw. While similar results to just sharpening a lower res image it is yet very different. I guess the best way I could work it is that sharpening can only sharpen the pixels that are there. The AI can actual interpolate and sharpen more pixels than what are there. 

I hope sorta answered your question It really was a good question too.   

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Currently AMD doesn't have settings like DLSS. That is why people say that. The literally have nothing like it. They say they are working on something but don't say if it is or is not like the Nvidia solution but do say that they are working toward a solution that will be open source. Right now even without DLSS at native resolution. With RT enabled Nvidia looks better than AMD's implementation of Ray Tracing according to many reviewers. I personally don't have either camps new cards so no personal experience. I do however have an RTX 2070 super and can tell you for instance that DLSS 2.0 and the upcoming DLSS 3 are the real deal. Yes when DLSS fist came out it looked pretty bad and not worth using because of it. However that very quickly changed. Within a few months not only did it look better but frame rates improve even more, in some case by a lot. Many of the games with ray tracing right now don't support but 1 or 2 features available. In those games AMD is comparable to last gen Nvidia ray tracing if you didn't use DLSS on nvidia. However a game like control that uses all the features or minecraft rtx that is fully path traced well the AMD RT implementation just bogs down to unplayable. If and when they get DLSS like tech thqt will help AMD a lot. I will bet that RDNA3 will likely have much better RT speed as well. This is after all AMD's first gen on RT. 

Now I agree with you and in general I really am not that discriminating with a picture being a bit worse personally for better frames. I use the sharpening feautures to make older games or even some AAA games at 1440p look better on my 4k tv, as my 2070 sup just can't do 4k in many new games. It still looks pretty good to me. Plus the TV itself has upsampling tech built in. As far as normal image sharpening goes team red and green are pretty much equal in that regard but that tech is not the same thing as DLSS.

DLSS isn't just sharpening the pixels on screen. It uses artificial intelligence to take a lower resolution and upsample it to look like near native resolution. Thus reducing bandwidth and being much faster to draw. While similar results to just sharpening a lower res image it is yet very different. I guess the best way I could work it is that sharpening can only sharpen the pixels that are there. The AI can actual interpolate and sharpen more pixels than what are there. 

I hope sorta answered your question It really was a good question too.