cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

korinogaro
Adept III

I wonder why AMD is not more open about GPU availability.

So like subject says, I wonder why they are nt more open about availability. Like, we have so and so cards ready/in shipment. So many for US, so many for EU etc. Yeah, I know there would be whining "why so little here, and so many there" but I think it would be more managable than **bleep** storm they are facing now.

0 Likes
3 Replies

The fact is that they don't really know how many they can have ready, because they don't make them. There's a shortage of GPUs and other components, so by the time they divide them out between the AIBs, and they divide them out between retail and OEM channels, and then the retail channel is divided among the different models and then by different versions of that model, and then the resulting products are divided out between all the authorized retailers worldwide, AMD themselves can't put out exact numbers. The retailers know how many products they're getting, but sadly few actually put out any numbers.

Oh please stop this nonsense... What you wrote is nothing that hundreds of thousands of companies do EVERY day. Like I work for certain company building pumps (among others). I would need maybe 20-30 minutes to say how many pumps are ready in one of couple of factories we use in 7 different countries (these are not our factories). How many I can expect that day to be finished. How many are in storage in every single place and how many +/- 5% every factory can build with parts they have (and parts come from multiple other factories in multiple countries). I can tell how many containers full of pumps we have, where are they (which ship, etc.), how long will they +/-1-3 days to get to their destination. I worked at couple other big companies that were outsourcing manufacturing and there was no problem with finding data like that. Like... AMD knows how many GPU kits gets manufactured every day. They know where and how many is sent to. They can also simply ask AIBs how many they have ready etc.

0 Likes

The only AMD Gaming GPUs I can get hold of for new builds are: 

A few overpriced and now obsolete Navi 10 RX5700XT, and even those are only  "pre-order" and expected to deliver start Jan 2021. 

Similar with lower end Navi 10 RX5600XT GPUs. Only one PowerColor Single fan ITX RX5600XT 6GB card available for purchase right now. Not many are interested in 6GB GPUs in new Gaming build though. 

The "more expensive  similar performance to RX580 " RX5500XT are same. None available. 

RX580 8GB GPUs are available. 

Other than that, second hand RX Vega AIB cards on Ebay are going for ~ 200, but few of those.

As for RX6900XT/6800/XT - they did not even turn up on launch day. 

It is a farce.

Here we are, end of 2020, and only new AMD GPU I can get to put in a new build is the RX580 8GB which is a respin of the RX480 launched on June 29, 2016 ~ 4.5 years ago.

0 Likes