cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Team Discussions

os2wiz
Elite

Re: How AMD screwed themselves and their enthusiast customers

Sounds like you have a lot of "science" behind your prognostication. I will remain skeptical if you do not mind.

os2wiz
Elite

Will there also be a refresh of  of Rx6000 with RDNA 3 in the 4th quarter??? Will it still be on 7nm or 5nm?? Will there be an inadequate supply of wafers on 5nm TSMC??? Apple is already on 5nm TSMC and NVidia has ordered some 5nm wafers possibly on TSMC.

deepcuts
Adept II

@os2wiz 

Just search for 5950X whea or 5950X reboots
Replace 5950X with any other 5000.
Just a small sample here

os2wiz
Elite

That does not mean it is a hardware defect , why do you presume so??? It could be a bios defect.

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Still on 7nm for worhol.

Why would the RX 6000 series be refreshed with RDNA3?  Wouldn't that be the RX 7000 series?  

os2wiz
Elite

You are correct. Especially since they can't produce a significant amount to begin with. 

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Yesterday, my local Microcenter listed stock at 25+ units for all four Vermeer processors.  By the time I got there mid day, there were plenty of 5600X and 5800X and even 15 or so 5950X but no 5900X left.  I think you are likely interested in the most popular model.  I see there are four 5900X available right now, if I do manage to snag one I can send it your way.  But it does look like shipments are ramping up.  That was the largest single drop I have seen at my local store yet.  

0 Kudos
apc900
Adept II

While I don't take any of this personal, I have to agree AMD did not do this right. The low allocation for the PC gaming segment seems an odd choice. Sure!...the console manufacturers would have made guarantees but the AMD core audience has always been PC driven. They were always going to go away with a bad taste once they found out that they'd been passed over. Having planned a serious look at AMD for my GPU needs this time out...after years of using the competition's products, I patiently waited after the Nvidia 3000 series was announced. I actually had an opportunity to buy one of the RTX3080 FE cards early on but rejected it in favor of waiting for the 6800XT. That now seems to have been a very bad choice since months in, I still cannot buy one. Guess I will wait now for either Nvidia's stock to normalize or for Intel to produce something decent.

ajlueke
Grandmaster

I feel your pain there.  I actually also had an opportunity at the 3090 FE when NVidia did the store dump to Best buy, but I went for it.  In this market it is better to just snag whatever is available. 

I normally had purchased AMD GPUs, but NVidia was better on the pro application side this time.  I also got one of the Ryzen 8 5950X that was available at my local store.  No scalpers paid.  Now I'm just waiting on the EK block for the 3090 FE.

0 Kudos
ajlueke
Grandmaster

On the plus side, with etherium 2.0 moving to a proof 0f stake vs proof of work system, a lot of these large mining rigs will be completely superfluous.   So we may see a lot less demand in the market for GPUs for mining.

https://www.computer.org/publications/tech-news/trends/end-bitcoins-blockchain-dominance

0 Kudos