Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Team Discussions

ebonclaw
Elite

Re: For those of you experiencing display driver crashes

aoogha@woh.rr.com

For what it's worth, I don't necessarily understand the exact reason why a fix works all the time, I just accept that it does.  What you really have to understand is what the problem actually is so you can accurately find a fix.  Of course, it's best to test one fix at a time to see if it makes a difference, often crashes like this are due to a specific reason that the need to employ multiple fixes is not usually effective, usually you just need to find the singular RIGHT fix. 

I tried the older catalyst driver and didn't have any luck at all with it, almost immediate crashes.  Right now I'm running the latest Crimson driver/hotfix.  The TDRlevel registry edit is a REPLACEMENT for the TDRDelay entry (delete TdrDelay key if implementing TdrLevel key).  TdrDelay sets the time TDR waits for the graphics card before it's deemed unresponsive and the driver restarted.  TdrLevel (with a value of 0) disables TDR entirely.  This may be useful if the TdrDelay entry causes crashes in other games, like it did for me.

More investigation reveals that TDR's (Timeout Detection and Recovery) implementation by Microsoft has been problematic in the sense that to TDR, a GPU can appear unresponsive, when in reality it's plugging along under load. 

Since you are also running an FX chip, if your thermals are looking good, you may opt to slightly increase the Vcore voltage like I did.  it's possible that my issues were exacerbated by not giving enough voltage to my overclocked CPU, even though I still experienced instability at stock speeds.

zealotki11er​ Running at 1080 is better than NOT running at 4k, amiright? 

0 Kudos
aoogha
Journeyman III

I have always done the custom install after running the AMD Clean Up Utility, and have not installed Raptr. Didn't seem to matter tho...

0 Kudos
aoogha
Journeyman III

Update:

I have been running AMD Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta Driver for Windows  for the last 4 days. No issues at all yet. I have played FarCry 4, PvsZ Garden Warfare and BioShock Infinite, all on the highest setting.

I want to reiterate, I am running W7-64 (so DX-11) and Eyefinity @ 5760X1080; which is 6,220,800 total pixels. In contrast, 4K is 3840 X 2160 which is 8,294,400 pixels for a grand total of almost 25% more pixels required for the 4K over that of 1080p Eyefinity X3. I don't have a clue if this matters, but logic makes me think it would.

I don't have access to a 4K monitor to test this, but I thought it was worth sharing.

So far the 15.11.1 Beta driver is the only one of many I've tried that has had no issues at all.

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos