Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Team Discussions

diggiddi
Adept II

Cpu wont post

Hi all,

I picked up an FX 9590 to replace my 8350 but it won't boot even into BIOS on my sabertooth r2.0 with latest bios

It works with my CHVZ though, any workarounds to get it work on the saber?

0 Kudos
20 Replies
staggeredsix
Elite

Re: Cpu wont post

That motherboard doesn't support the 9590 because the wattage required to push that CPU is too high for it. Take a gander over at SABERTOOTH 990FX CPU Support| Motherboards | ASUS Global for the CPU support list.

The 9590 is a 220w CPU where the 8350 is 125w.

The Crosshair board supports 220w CPUs as stated here :

CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z CPU Support| Motherboards | ASUS USA

There is no work around, that CPU is far too power hungry and the power distribution is too weak to handle that much wattage.

ajlueke
Grandmaster

He did point out that he is using the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0.  It is clearly listed under supported CPUs in revision 2.0

SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 CPU Support| Motherboards | ASUS USA

0 Kudos
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Have you tried an earlier UEFI to see if you have the same result? 2104, 2301, 2501 and the like?

diggiddi
Adept II

No I didn't but now its not booting in the CHVZ either

0 Kudos
diggiddi
Adept II

I have the r2.0 version which is certified for that cpu

SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 CPU Support| Motherboards | ASUS USA

staggeredsix
Elite

Good info! What happens during POST?

0 Kudos
diggiddi
Adept II

Nothing, no beeps, just black screen, it was showing a 00 qcode and 54 which means internal cpu error so I'll RMA

0 Kudos
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Carefully inspect the CPU and make sure their are no pins out of alignment.  Often times, issues like these are the result of a bent pin.

0 Kudos
staggeredsix
Elite

Probably for the best. If its posting on the crosshair and not the sabertooth it's probably the board itself. If you have a tester CPU I'd toss that in there. If the board overvolts and blows up that CPU then Asus may help replace the 9590. I've had this happen on an Asus board before. It's extremely rare but sometimes these 990 FX boards will kick the voltage up to get things moving and pop the processor. I have a few 8xxx series CPUs that are dead from this.

0 Kudos