cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

pakotxx
Adept I

Can RX 580/590 work on a legacy Bios based motherboard?

Hello

Can RX 580/590 work on a legacy bios based motherboard (non uefi)

I have very old MSI 760GA-P43(FX).

I tried 5600 XT and 5700 - both dont work, had to return them.

Can somebody help, will rx 580/590 (or at least 570?...) work?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
23 Replies
benman2785
Big Boss

mh, even the 5600XT or 5700 should have worked - what PSU do you have?

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Chieftec A-135 (APS-1000CB) 10000W

On other PC with the same PSU, but different motherboard - everything is ok

0 Likes

mh, a RX470 or RX480 have worked with non-uefi bios before
usually i would think the RX580 should work too - but i am only sure for most RX480

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes
kumowoon1025
Adept II

I don't think the booter is the issue, besides, I've never heard of standalone graphics cards that are UEFI only. IME the efi portion of the firmware is always part of the usual vbios that controls the card during early boot, e.g. drives display output before OS and drivers load.

I'm thinking it's simply resource contention, bus and/or memory, do you have lighter cards you can try? (maybe something low profile, single slot, less-than-full-length?)

0 Likes

I have GTX 950 and it's working, without any problems.

I can enter bios with 5600 XT / 5700, but nothing else. I even tried to load from some USB to install system, tried even USB with Linux - nothing. System freezes. When I put back GTX 950 - all USB working

0 Likes

did you uninstalled Nvidia drivers before you put in AMD GPU?
if not DO THAT - with latest DDU (DisplayDriverUninstaller)

Yes, of course,

And as I wrote above, I tried to boot from the USB drive, even with the HDD completely disconnected, everything is the same

0 Likes

I didn't even think about that, yeah you really should wipe all gpu drivers if you have to switch colors without reinstalling windows. Still, I'm not sure if that will solve the issue, if you have a pcie riser lying around you can try putting it in between the motherboard and gpu to see if it will work with the artificial bottleneck, if not you'll need better cpu and/or baseboard or smaller(slower, older, etc.) gpu.

0 Likes

IMO, that would be enough to convince me that it's a resource allocation issue. I had to look it up, but it looks like the most memory on a gtx950 is 2GB, and the 5700 has at least double the amount, and the same for bus width? The usb not working is probably due to the graphics card being on pretty much all PCIe lanes available.

0 Likes

Is there any way out of this? That is, the problem is that the 5600 XT and 5700 are 8 GB in size? What can be done? Need a video card with 2-4 GB? Or is it not the problem, and something else needs to be changed to work with 8 gb GPU?

0 Likes

Well, yes and no. You could try doing what I mentioned, putting in a PCIe riser – basically a PCIe extension + slot daughterboard combo if you will – to put a physical bottleneck between the Navi card and motherboard (the riser cards are all PCIe 3.0 versions afaik, and never wider than 4 lanes). This would most likely prevent the card from hogging all resources available to the bus. (even if the card still has 8G vram, if the transfer/second is limited, it can't possibly map as much system memory) I think this probably has the lowest chance of working to be honest, but it's safe, easy, and cheap to try out. Safe as in doesn't alter anything, you don't risk bricking anything.

The second way would be to modify the driver so as to limit the resources (DMI regions, interrupt queues, you can see these in the device manager properties window for your GPU, under the resources tab). I have 0 experience messing with AMD drivers, so I couldn't tell you much about it.

The third way, which is pretty high up there in difficulty by the reliable statistic of # of clicks from start to finish, is to modify your (os/motherboard)'s configuration to sequester some minimum amount of resources for the rest of the system. This is a common issue that arises when you try to use resource-hungry interfaces/accelerators on limited systems like laptops, but people have gotten around the problem, documenting the process pretty extensively.

Again, personally, I would recommend upgrading the base system to support the GPU, or selling/returning the GPU for something more lightweight, down a couple tiers rather than iterations (RX 590 -> RX 560, rather than RX 5700 XT -> RX 570 –  the second number tends to be more significant as an indication of the figurative "horsepower" of a card). I think a card that uses 8 PCIe lanes instead of the full 16 would probably work without crippling your USB at least. 

Reason being, even if you get the navi cards to play nice with your system, it's going to be severely bottlenecked, depending on what you're intending to use this system for, you should decide if you want to upgrade now for the performance, or maybe recoup the cost of the GPU because you can get the same performance with a cheaper card, and wait an iteration or two to upgrade the entire system.

Yes

0 Likes

Are you using this BIOS version?

Version
Release Date
2014-10-14
File Size
1.33 MB
0 Likes

Yes, 1.3 version Bios

The User Manual description for the BIOS is pretty useless:
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/M7699v1.0.zip 

I would set up the PC with minimum amount of periperals attached, CPU and Fan, single stick of RAM, GPU.
Open the BIOS and set it to default settings.
Reboot.

It might also be a good idea to reflash the latest BIOS with the GPU you want to use installed.

Sometimes with AMD GPU I have seen the case where I get no monitor output when GPU swapped out for another one.

Disconnect and reconnect DisplayPort or HDMI output when the PC is on sometimes wakes it up.

Other times I have to reflash the BIOS with the new GPU in place to get monitor output.

Definitely a problem with RX Vega 64 /56 and R9 Fury X GPUs.

This might be of interest:
FAQ:
Why do I see a message " System BIOS detected a non-Windows 8 Logo graphic card " during boot up after I set item "Windows 8/8.1 Feature" to [Enabled]?
After "Windows 8/8.1 Feature" is set to [Enabled], it will require your VGA card to be GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) supported. Therefore, system will show this message if your system is not equipped with GOP VGA card and that system will reset automatic:

More details.

MSI Global 

0 Likes

Need your full system specifications.
Don't know from this thread if you are still running Windows 7, 8.1 or 10.
Doesn't look like the motherboard support page has much support for Windows 10.
The PCIe Bandwidth on the PCIex16 slot is PCie 2.0x16 which should be sufficient to run majority of games at no performance loss including RX5700XT GPUs.
There is one exception where you would need PCIe4.0x16 to run RX5000 series GPUs but that is just because AMD cheaped out on the number of PCIe lanes on the actual cards.
Still looking for list of comatible GPUs for the motherboard.

0 Likes

Windows 10 (but I tried disable all HDD/SSD and loading from USB - same freeze)

AMD FX 8320
and 16 GB RAM

Need some other spec?

Here is the list of compatible GPUs for your motherboard:
https://storage-asset.msi.com/file/test_report/TR1_2655.pdf 

0 Likes

Seems it's for 1.0 version for very old VGA cards, even no GTX 950, that's works well

0 Likes

Here is a list of PC Builds using the same Motherboard (I think), with various GPUs:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/MSI-760GA-P43FX-MS-7699/3053#Build 

0 Likes

If those User Benchmarks are correct, it shows results from GTX1080 which has 8GB VRAM.

0 Likes
deadlord_2
Journeyman III

0 Likes