cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Team Discussions

daquteness
Challenger

Re: Can anyone help with a benchmark please?

Jump to solution

Yes, £3000 will be good for starters and I like the appeal of this new generation of platforms (AMD and Intel alike). So yes, I will probably end up going for a high-end motherboard so I can expand later on as possible. I think future-proofing is the most important factor to consider right now. Vega's are a bit pricy for what they offer, reaaaaaally looking forward to benching one and see where it stands. That's if the miners don't delapidate the stocks on this as well... Still trying to get my hands on RX580 somewhere as the price is good, but ZERO stocks anywhere (reminds me of OnePlus phones and their stock shortage...), I even looked in Croatia and Hungary =)) and Vega bordering the £1000 price tag, seems a bit out of reach even compared to a 1080Ti for instance, while the gains seem less worth the price.

Anyway, we'll see, I'll post something as soon as a decision is in range but until TR+motherboards comes out it's the waiting game for me...

Cheers!

V.

P.S. Interesting stuff you're doing, would be crazy curious to see what it's all about! Hopefully I'll get something going myself soon... been in the 3D industry for 10 years now, time to kick things up a notch!

colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

Hello.

I just saw this post.

I have been testing and using the Blender 2.79 Release Candidate 2 and MultiGPU runs great for me without any hacking of scripts or code.

I was previously running version 2.78c. I could only get one of my GPU's to run on that version of the code.
I am seeing significant performance improvements over and above just the ability to run Dual GPU's instead of Single.
I understand this is not a production version of Blender but you might want to download it and take a look.

You can get information on the Blender 2.79 Release Candidate 2 code here:

Dev:Ref/Release Notes/2.79 - BlenderWiki

This Blender Release 2.79  contains many updates and improvement for AMD Cards.
The Release Notes are here: Dev:Ref/Release Notes/2.79 - BlenderWiki

Specifically:

In this release:

• Cycles: Built-in Denoising, Shadow catcher, Principled shader, AMD OpenCL optimizations.

Cycles Rendering.

• Faster AMD OpenCL rendering and feature parity with NVidia CUDA

Cheers.

colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

I hit a problem running the "Production Benchmark" in Blender 2.79 RC2. It hangs on me if I try to run GPU Compute on Single or Dual GPU.
Blender 2.78c will complete the render on a single GPU on the same system.
I am investigating and initially looking for help & advice  here, just in case you hit similar issues, and you might find the thread useful if I get some answers:
workflow - Is Blender 2.79_RC2 supposed to be able to render "Production Benchmark" in Multi GPU? - ...

Cheers.

0 Kudos