Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Team Discussions

thehunger69
Adept III
Adept III

Best cable management ideas

Hi there,

I'm just curious as to what methods and products work best at delivering an aesthetically pleasing and optimized efficient cable setup? Like is a braided cable setup worth the effort and or are there PSU cables that are made explicitly for looks and effectiveness? Because I'm really wanting to manage all my cables for efficiency and looks.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
arcticwind
Forerunner
Forerunner

Re: Best cable management ideas

It's all up to the individual on how detailed they want their build to be, what look they are going for and how much money they are willing to spend to do it.

Almost all manufacturers of power supplies have accessories that you can add to make your build more aesthetically pleasing.

Check their web sites for ready made cable sets in different colors.  There are also company that specialize in this area. (see cablemod.com)

Here are some for the EVGA power supply you are using. EVGA - Products - EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Power Supply - 220-P2-1000-XR

Using a modular power supply, keeping the wires to a minimum and color coordination are a great start to making it look good.

zealotki11er
Miniboss
Miniboss

If you got the money you can go with this: Configurator | CableMod Global Store

Basically you can make it the design you want and the right length. This will not be very cheap though but will be the best.

kxuping
Forerunner
Forerunner

Using zip ties or velcro helps to manage your cables. Some PSU manufacturers sells better looking cables like Corsair for their AXi line. You can order custom cables from several sellers or you can buy the parts/tools and make your own custom cables.

red5
Challenger
Challenger

thehunger69
Adept III
Adept III

OOooh that loom will help out and look real nice

0 Kudos
red5
Challenger
Challenger

I do a trick with fan power cables that are too long where i wrap them tightly around the shaft of a long, thin screwdriver.  The power cable stays coiled, and takes up much of the 'slack' or whatever you wanna call it.  Looks good in the case too I think, and it's an easy solution. I did part of one and took a picture to show you. Quick job, it could look better, plus that was a wire that was already braided versus the typical flat cables.

IMG_1967[1].JPG

thehunger69
Adept III
Adept III

Oh wow that is is a great idea! I need to detangle and reroute all my wires because they take up so much space and run over everything.

0 Kudos
derrickgott007
Miniboss
Miniboss

Be careful doing thathe because each loop adds resistance to the line potential, resulting in lowered voltage and raised temps of the wire.  You're basically making a resistor.

red5
Challenger
Challenger

in absence of another material... like probably not a good idea to coil it around a metal rod tightly inside your case

Open air coil nothing more than being like a piled up extension cord on your floor.

IMG_1976.JPGIMG_1977.JPG