cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

passante
Adept I

Back to AMD after 1 year and still can't get Black Bars in Quake

1 year ago I made a similar thread asking for help on how to force 4:3 aspect ratio black bars in the game Quake Champions (the game can be downloaded and played for free via Steam). Back then I tried all the possible combinations of Preserve Aspect Ratio, Full Screen, Center, Custom Resolution...but nothing worked so I switched to nVidia where I have the option "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs".

I found a thread where is claimed that in order for it work on amd cards I need to set my monitor to "preserve aspect" as well, but for some reason that option is grayed out on my monitor and is set by default on Full Screen.

I don't know why things have to be so complicated on amd cards.

I like everything about amd video cards except this little flaw which might force me to switch to nVidia in a definitive way.

0 Likes
11 Replies

Hi,

Please provide your system information such as:

Motherboard:
CPU:
HDD:
RAM:

GPU:
OS Version:
Monitor Used.
etc.

I have a copy of Quake Champions and I can take a look at this for you.
Thanks.

passante
Adept I

Hi, thank you very much

msi H110M Gaming

cpu G4560 @3.50GHz

ssd Samsung Evo 850 2250GB

ram Corsair Vengeance LPX Red 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2133 MHz

gpu Amd rx460 Windforce OC 4GB

os  Win 10 64bit

monitor AOC g2460pf

Btw, this is the thread where is claimed that both gpu and monitor have to be set to "preserve aspect ratio" in order for it to work on amd gpu's: Just FYI: 4:3/5:4 Blackbars mode works in QuakeC now as well.[Album] : QuakeChampions 

Unfortunately I have my monitor set at "full screen" by default and the setting is grayed out so I can't access it and modify.

0 Likes

Sorry for the delay in looking at this. All my PC are running Blender 2.80 at the moment.
It will likely be the weekend before I get a chance.

0 Likes

Got it, thanks

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes
passante
Adept I

Ok, got it

0 Likes

AMD Settings GPU Scaling off. XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid running Quake over HDMI into BenQ 4K 32" HDR Monitor.
If I set Windows Desktop resolution to 4K, then launch Quake with 4K Resolution set, the Monitor Menu -> Picture Advanced -> Display Mode only has the "Full Screen" Option available.
If I then set Quake to  4:3 resolution and go back to look at Monitor Menu -> Picture Advanced -> Display Mode I now have the following options available:
"Full Screen"

"Aspect Ratio"

"1:1"

Selecting "Aspect Ratio" I get vertical black bars down each side of the screen. Quake extends the full height of the monitor. Horizontal view of quake is chopped down from full screen width with two vertical black bars either side.

0 Likes

I am looking into it at the moment.

0 Likes

I see the same problem as you on following system: Maximus 
Running Quake:

I tested Palit RTX2080OC. DisplayPort  into BenQ 4K 32" HDR Monitor. Windows resolution set to 4K. Setting the Nvidia option you mentioned above.
I get black bars down each side of the screen with vertical stretching the full height of the montior. I tested with 5:3/5:4 and 4:3.

I tested XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid over HDMI into BenQ 4K 32" HDR Monitor. Windows resolution set to 4K. Setting 4:3 with GPU Scaling on I see the following: 
GPU Scaling Options FullScreen = Full Screen as you would expect.
GPU Scaling Options Preserve Aspect Ration = Full Screen. 
GPU Scaling Options Center = does work for me I get a square in center of the screen at the resolution I select when it is < 4K.

0 Likes

I will see if running the AMD GPU over DisplayPort makes any difference.

0 Likes

Hi bro, did you eventually manage to make it work with DisplayPort cable?

Btw indeed it does work with HDMI cable but it doesn't really help cause I bought this monitor to take advantage of its higher refresh rate, that's why it would be ideal if I could make it work the same way with a DisplayPort cable

0 Likes
passante
Adept I

Hi bro, did you eventually manage to make it work with DisplayPort cable?

Btw indeed it does work with HDMI cable but it doesn't really help cause I bought this monitor to take advantage of its higher refresh rate, that's why it would be ideal if I could make it work the same way with a DisplayPort cable

0 Likes