cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Team Discussions

AMD Wraith Cooler Q&A with James Prior

Hello Red Team - Today we launched new desktop processor and updated several models to include new thermal solutions, including the new AMD Wraith Cooler!

We know you have questions about the Wraith Cooler, and Product Manager James Prior (aka @cavemanjim on Twitter) is here to answer any questions you might have! Just ask your question related to any products in the press release in this thread and we will answer them within 48-hours; the Q&A is open for 72 hours! We can't guarantee that we will be able to answer every question, but we will do our best!

James is ready for your on-topic processor and thermal solution questions!

16 Replies
ebonclaw
Elite

Re: AMD Wraith Cooler Q&A with James Prior

This thing looks like a sweet top-down blower to also help cool surrounding chipsets and almost certainly represents the best stock cooler out right now.  LED illumination was a nice touch.  Don't suppose there's any trade-in program for those of us who bought an 8370 in the last few months?  The specs outlined for it under stock conditions seem terrific, how does this thing do at managing an overclocked CPU?  I mean, I know each chip caries in its overclockability and some require less voltage to achieve stability at a given speed, but does anyone have testing done against other coolers on an overclocked CPU where the coolers were the only things swapped around?

0 Kudos
maxxhew
Adept III

Is the fan's RPM controllable by consumer... I don't know the exact term, I think it's PWM, or is the fan speed fixed at a set value? Also what are the spec's of the fan... like RPM, size, etc...?

0 Kudos

Thanks for the kind words. We haven't tested it on overclocked configurations as this is intended for out of the box stock configurations. No plans for a trade in program at this time.

- James

The fan is an 80mm design that runs up to 3,000RPM. It can be controlled by PWM.

- James

maxxhew
Adept III

Excellent.  Also, I just read about the new AMD Athlon™ X4 845 desktop processor... that sounds AWESOME!  The price and specs will surely make it a very popular choice for everyone from beginners to hard core gamers.  Well done!

geekavenger
Adept II

Any plan to sell these stand alone?  I am assuming not, but I had to ask.  I am sure I will be able to find one second hand if I really need to eventually.

0 Kudos

There are no plans to sell the Wraith Cooler separately.

- James

jamesc359
Miniboss

1. Why did you choose a blue LED? Why not red?
  2. What kind of bearing does the fan have?
  3. Is the fan just a regular (high performance) 80mm fan inside a shell or is the fan an integral part of the housing?
  4. Is the cooler being manufactured in house or by a third party?

Thanks in advance for your time and for answering my questions. Thanks to Erin too. 🙂

0 Kudos

1) The LED is white. White matches everything and is most spooky in the dark!

2) It is a dual ball bearing design. All AMD processors in a box products come with a 3 year warranty.

3) The fan is not designed to be removed from the heatsink.

4) We have multiple partners who manufacture thermal solution designs for us.

- James

[You're welcome!! - Erin]