cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

larryq7
Journeyman III

AMD Ryzen™ 9 3950X 3900X

I am moving away from Mac after 10 years, I do video and photography editing. My question between 3950x or 3900x which of the two should I be concerned with buying. 

What motherboard would you recommend also. I appreciate your input.

Thank you

Larry

0 Likes
8 Replies
poppyann
Adept I

I think you will be very happy with the 3900x which is the same as I have, looking at the passmark site it is the fastest cpu that you can get with a score of 31825 and at around $650 is much better than the closest intel cpu is the Core i9-9980XE @ 3.00GHz with a score of 29798 but the price is $1914 you can buy 3 of the amd processors if you pair it up with one of the x570 motherboards you will end up with one of the fastest PC's available, I used a msi meg x570 ace I added 4x16GB dimm's plus a adlink s70 2TB M.2 ssd I picked this drive as it had the best read write speed from this range.

My machine starts in 30 seconds which I don't think anyone would complain about. 

Good luck with your build.

Regards Poppy Ann. 

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

The 3950X will retail $250 higher than the 3900X, for 16 cores vs 12.  If you think the extra 4 cores will save you significant time in photo and video editing, then it may be worth the investment.

That sounds like a good deal, it's just a pity for those of us who just bought the 3900x if I had known that AMD was about to release it now I would have waited and bought one.

They said in July when they launched 3900X that there will be a 16 core 3950X in September

whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner

It really depends on the specific applications you intend on using; most video and photo editing apps (Adobe, Affinity, Blackmagicdesign) all favor fast single core performance - for color grading work a decent GPU and of course 10 bit displays are recommended. From what we've been told the Ryzen 9 3950X should have slightly better clock speeds (keeping silicone lottery in mind) - You've waited this long, so just wait a bit longer to make your final decision. Either way, the performance is close enough and in the end it's all based on your budget and to an extend the GPU(s) and Memory.

For video editing, speedy drives (SSD's or NVME's), and RAM are highly recommended. With that in mind, your budget again will decide on which motherboard you go with.

Top X570 boards I've built with so far are the MSI MEG ACE X570, the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra, and my all time favorite, the Asus Crosshair line (any). There are other motherboards I've built on like the $500+ MSI Godlike and my least favorite, ASRock Steel legend but these were a big fail in my book over extended periods of rendering/encoding where they would just get too hot.

Plan your build out based on the requirements of the apps you'll be using and of course your budget.

Source: me - I've been heavily involved in the 3D/ML and content creation design and testing market for over 5 years and counting.

I didn't Know What my Next Step should be?!!? Please HELP ME!! .. Well lets start off with what i built it was my first ever on my own build.. so its prob. terrible.. I have  ASUS AM4 TUF GAMING X570-Plus ATX Motherboard with PCIe 4.0, Dual M.2, 12+2 with Dr. MOS Power Stage, HDMI, DP, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.2 Gen 2 and Aura Sync.. along with  the ... AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12-Core 3.8 GHz Socket AM4 105W... EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 08G-P4-3277-KR, 8GB GDDR6, iCX2 Technology, RGB LED, ... ++64GB Ram G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 RAM Memory++ ( A little Much .. nah it will be ok ..LOL ) but  oh well also have 92 TB's with SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 4.0 // for my most 2 played games and 4TB Seagate Internal For my Game I'm playing the most  that time. Also NZXT Kraken X63 280mm.. I have 2 ... 27in 0.1ms ASUS Gaming Monitors one is Nvidia  Gsync 240hz other is Free Sync Asus 0.1ms response 240hz.. Both are 27in.. Obviously i think my next step is the Nvidia 3070,3080 Graphics Card or Should i go with AMD?. So Confused at this Also is there a better Motherboard Nothing Crazy in Price mostly a waste paying more than 300$ U.S. for MoBo.. Suggestions Please Anyone?!?!

0 Likes

Any reason why you do not consider: 

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-5950x
or
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-5900x

If you are creating a new build, you may as well try to use the latest processors. 

If you want Thunderbolt capability then ASRock are the motherboards to go for. 
This one specifically: 
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Creator/index.asp

Has two Thunderbolt 3 ports on the motherboard. 
If you look for something smaller then there are also: 
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Phantom Gaming-ITXTB3/index.asp

You should be able to use an Apple 2 way Thunderbolt 3-2 connector to run older peripherals.

0 Likes
benman2785
Big Boss

3950X will be better for editing - more Cores that crush their tasks

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS