cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

AMD Ryzen 7 4800U Review, Mind Boggling Performance at 15W

Detailed posting's originally posted here @ Level1Techs forum:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/amd-ryzen-7-4800u-review-mind-boggling-performance-at-15w/161332 

Here's Hardware UnBoxed review of AMD's Ryzen 7 4800U:

That’s ALOT of CPU performance at 15W of power

=D

Notebook users who want alot of performance in their SoC (System on a Chip), now you have a solution.

Now I understand why Intel is so Jelly of the AMD Ryzen 7 4800U

Intel Won't Stop Talking About AMD: New Tiger Lake CPU Specs & 11th Gen "Benchmarks"

Intel couldn’t stop talking about the 4800U during it’s TigerLake unveiling.

Intel is jelly of AMD.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-05-10h05m08s758.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-05-10h05m36s929.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-05-10h05m55s632.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-05-10h06m22s209.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-05-10h07m04s582.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-05-10h07m33s597.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-05-10h07m50s268.png

Hardware UnBoxed TimeStamp @ 16:48 for this conclusion.

Hardware UnBoxed - "Overall, the Ryzen 7 4800U is one of the most impressive products that I’ve ever tested. I’ve actually thought quite hard about all the other things I’ve reviewed over the years, and couldn’t come up with anything that was as impressive at winning it’s market segment and providing a HUGE generation on generation performance leap. There are a number of angles as to why the 4800U is soo impressive. The big one is that it ABSOLUTELY DESTROYS Intel’s ‘Ice Lake’ & ‘Comet Lake’ processors. It’s not unusual to see double the multi-thread performance or better while also winning the single thread battle. Throw in an integrated GPU that can be 50% faster, especially at 15 watts, and the Ryzen 7 4800U wins in all 3 major categories for a U series APU. And again, this isn’t a small win, AMD is UTTERLY DOMINENT in some of these benchmarks.

If this was a 100 meter sprint, you’d think the 4800U is cheating with performance enhancing drugs, that’s how much it beats it’s direct opponents by. The types of margins we’re seeing here highlight how efficient AMD’s Zen 2 design & especially TSMC’s 7 nm process node are. On the desktop, Intel can still be competitive by increasing power consumption to match what AMD is doing with Zen 2. That’s just not possible in power & cooling constrained laptop form factors. What we’re seeing with the 4800U is the combination of truly generational node shrink with smart design decisions, like an increase to CPU cores, which further extends AMD’s efficiency advantage. And to do all this within a single generation is practically unheard of in the CPU market. To put this into perspective, I went back and looked at how many generations it took for Intel to double the “U-series” performance, the answer based upon my CineBench R-15 results is that the Core i7-1065G7 is roughly twice as fast as the dual core i7-5600U from the “Broadwell” generation. Given Ice Lake launched late last year, it took Intel 4 YEARS to double the performance on offer.

AMD has doubled the performance on offer, last year, with this years release. So that’s pretty insane! What the Ryzen 7 4800U does with all this extra performance in practice is redefine what an Ultra Portable LapTop is capable of. Previously you probably wouldn’t have wanted to do any significant data crunching or code compilation on a thin & light notebook, even for heavy multi-tasking. Those “U-series” LapTop of old could get bogged down. The performance just wasn’t there, especially if compared to “H-series” devices, but the 4800U competes with “H-series” LapTops, often getting close to, or beating Intel’s offerings, like the Core i7-10750H or amazingly, the Core i9-10980HK. If you typically use your laptop for CPU heavy tasks, why bother with a 15", 2 kg system with limited battery life, when a 13" or 14" 1.3 kg system can offer the same level of performance.

Of course the 4800U and other U-series processors can’t fully replace what H-series designs offer. The Ryzen H-series parts are still faster again, and then there’s the whole discrete GPU situation. 13" designs aren’t getting 80 watt GPU’s anytime soon. And that’s where a larger laptop can pull ahead. But for pure CPU performance, AMD’s offering H-series class results with the efficiency of a U-series. This also puts Intel in a position that where they never have been in the LapTop market. Tiger Lake should’ve been about extending Intel’s lead in mobile processors, or at worst case for them, coming into an deliver more performance than what AMD is already offering. With such DOMINANT leads for AMD, now Tiger Lake is more about catching up to where AMD has been in the last few months, before they can even consider offering more performance. And that’s compounded by the pressure of Zen 3, which isn’t too far away.

As it stands right now, there is no way I can recommend a “Ice Lake” or “Comet Lake” product over something from AMD’s Ryzen 4000 lineup. However, Tiger Lake is almost ready for Prime Time. So we’ll soon see how the market is shaping up for the holiday season, when we get our hands on systems for Bench Marking, either way, it’s an exciting time for LapTops. We finally have some serious competition and that’s going to accelerate this market like we haven’t seen for years.

0 Likes
0 Replies