cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Team Discussions

dirtyprank
Adept II

Re: AMD Red Team Firestrike Performance Scores

Interesting results at the top of the board there - the i7 with 295x2 beats out the 9590 with 295x2 AND 290X, by a wide margin. The extra GPU did give a better graphics score, but not by as much as I would have thought. The CPU-driven physics score gap was much wider than I expected. Although for the purposes of gaming, this really shouldnt cause any bottlenecking. I imagine real-world FPS scores would support that theory.

0 Kudos
medallish
Adept I

It is, I need to work around with my CPU, I'm suspecting there's an issue, as I tried to simply up the V-core to 1.5V yesterday, no OC, i simply wanted to see what the temperature characteristics were, and yeah, it was unstable, as I've mentioned before cooling shouldn't be a problem it's never had a shut down and it's a beastly costum loop that I made to cool an entire system, only cooling the CPU at this current moment.

But I will create a ticket on that on the forums so I don't hijack this thread, if I don't figure it out.

0 Kudos
olly87
Adept I

If I remember right there's a good article/blog on why FX processors score poorly in firestrike physics tests, I can't find it but I believe sgtbilko​ or jackalopeater may know its location

sgtbilko
Miniboss

Yep,

The reason isn't so much the Physics test as it is the Combined test.

According to Futuremark the Physics test utilizes Logical cores and the Combined test uses Physical cores, in the case of the 5960x it has 8 cores and 8 virtual threads so in the Physics test it uses all 16 threads and in the combined it uses 8.

Now here's the interesting part.......

in the case of any FX CPU Futuremark doesn't see them as a 4,6 or 8 core CPU, (Lets use an 8350 for an example) it sees it as a 4 core CPU with 4 threads so in the Physics test it uses all 8 cores but in the combined you are limited to just 4, in the case of the 6300 3 cores and for the 4300 just 2.

This is the reason systems with an FX CPU seem to have alot less power than that of an i7 or even an i5 in Firestrike......but when it comes to games it's a different matter altogether, Synthetic benchmarks are fun but are rarely an overall indication of real world performance.

Hope that answers it for you

dirtyprank
Adept II

dirtyprank
Adept II

sgtbilko
Miniboss

Added!

0 Kudos
sgtbilko
Miniboss

Added!

0 Kudos
sgtbilko
Miniboss

Re: AMD Red Team Firestrike Performance/Extreme/Ultra Scores

Sgt Bilko--FX-8350--Crossfire R9 290--9163--Firestrike Extreme
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1805770

Sgt Bilko--FX-9590--R9 295x2 + Crossfire R9 290--9115--Firestrike Ultra

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3232933

olly87
Adept I

Re: AMD Red Team Firestrike Performance/Extreme/Ultra Scores

Right that's as high as I can get everything with my limited overclocking abilities. Dunno if you want to replace previous results with the same hardware or add to it

Olly87--FX-8350--R9 295x2--13399

AMD Radeon R9 295X2 video card benchmark result - AMD FX-8350,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH 990FX...