Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Team Discussions

davies_85
Adept I

3Dmark not running at overclock speeds sapphire 7950

Jump to solution

hi all ive had a few issues with overclocking since upgrading to windows 10 (I started a different thread about that..cannot overclock HD7950 windows 10 )

Im now fairly stable running win 10, with the windows update installed AMD catalyst control centre.

I can overclock with this as on windows 7 but for some reason the oc speed is not reflected on benchmark tests with 3Dmark, in fact 3Dmark shows "Driver Not Approved" regardless of latest crimson with and without hotfix or this ccc I'm currently running.

3Dmark will run at the sapphire boost speed of 925mhz core and 1250mhz memory regardless of my own speed set through crimson or ccc or even Trixx. or even when I press the button on the card which should disable the factory boost. although GTA5 will run at my defined speeds when set through CCC.

does anybody else have this issue?

is anybody else running a sapphire HD7950 at stable OC within crimson or otherwise and bench testing at them speeds on windows 10?

3dmark shows the speeds and also this has been confirmed with HWmonitor. the CPU is unaffected and has been oc'd successfully with AMD overdrive when using Crimson and CCC otherwise.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwgtroll
Adept II

Re: 3Dmark not running at overclock speeds sapphire 7950

Jump to solution

I would try using DDU to remove all GPU drivers from windows then, clean install the WHQL driver. I'm not running that card but it happened on my 390x and it fixed it.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
rwgtroll
Adept II

Jump to solution

I would try using DDU to remove all GPU drivers from windows then, clean install the WHQL driver. I'm not running that card but it happened on my 390x and it fixed it.

View solution in original post

davies_85
Adept I

Jump to solution

thank you for this, I was able to get the driver showing as approved in 3d mark however the overclock is still not applied.. with global oc set and those settings reflected on the 3dmark profile on crimson, as soon as I start 3dmark my GPU clocks revert back to the standard sapphire oc until 3dmark is quit, then they instantly go back to my oc setting.. confirmed with HWmonitor.

0 Likes
rwgtroll
Adept II

Jump to solution

Have you tried to use Afterburner

0 Likes
zealotki11er
Miniboss

Jump to solution

When I had R9 270 which had a Boost BIOS no overclock would stick in Windows 10. I was never able to OC it.

I think you should try to flash a BIOS that does not feature any form of Boost.

0 Likes
davies_85
Adept I

Jump to solution

thank you for the replies, I used afterburner to set a successful oc as with catalyst control centre and crimson and sapphire trixx the oc is set at windows desktop but when I run 3dmark a paid for download from steam that includes their latest benchmarks the oc immediately reverts to its stock oc. however when running 3dmark 11 free or various games including gta5 the overclock speeds are used. it just seems to be 3dmark advanced edition downloaded through steam that I'm having issues with now

0 Likes
davies_85
Adept I

Jump to solution

I wouldn't know how to bios flash and imagine I could really mess up? could it be bios flashed to the R9 270 bios or as such?

0 Likes
davies_85
Adept I

Jump to solution

the issue with 3d mark reverting to a standard clock speed is "AMD driver issue. AMD drivers for some of their cards (HD 78xx/79xx/R9 28x/R9 38x) detect the video clips that are embedded in the UI and think "oo, you are playing video, lets save power" and disable the highest clock step."

theres a quick fix and explanation here.. https://community.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?184061-Clockspeed-capped-in-3DMark

otherwise my issue of not been able to set an oc at all was resolved thanks to downloading DDU, correct answer chosen.

Thank you