cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

minimaltech
Adept I

32GB RAM for R7 2700X to run at 2933MHz!

Hi! I am new to the community and a little newbie (and confused) with the new Ryzen platform!!

I already have an AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU paired with 16GB (2x8) DDR4 RAM @ 2400MHz (G.Skill Flare-X).

Now, I want to buy an ASRock X470 Taichi motherboard for my new build, plus an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X. I'm trying to find a 32GB (2x16) DDR4 RAM to run at 2933MHz and to be compatible with my motherboard (motherboard's memory QVL --> here). As far as I know, to be able to achieve this speed I must buy only Single-Rank RAM sticks. Otherwise the memory will run at only 2400MHz... Is this true?

Do you know dimm's that are single-rank and are 16GB? What do you propose for my system?

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

The single rank stick feature will always be true with any cpu memory controller used to drive any memory.
It mean that in any case, single ranked memory modules will always be less stressful for any cpu memory controller than dual ranked modules.

That said  memory controller can be tuned in a way to alleviate the stress, even when using double ranked memory modules.
Ryzen 1st gen memory controller indeed fall a bit short when using dual ranked kit under high memory clocks.
Ryzen 2nd gen memory controller have been greatly updated and suffer less when using dual ranked kit under high memory clocks.

Bottom line you can go with 2x16GB dual ranked with your 2700x and achieve up to 3200mhz i suppose, but i wouldn't bet clocking higher.
The other choice is to go 4x8GB single ranked, you should also be able to get up to 3200Mhz i suppose, not so much higher either.
Do not: use more than 2 stick that are dual ranked, never 4 stick dual ranked, if wanted decent memory speeds.
If you want max memory speed always go for 2xXGB of single ranked module.

You can google hardwareluxx memory list, if i post the link i will have to wait the post moderation, it's a great repository of memory modules specs.
I would advice to get a Gskill kit and also check carefully the others bench to leverage which latest kit would fit the best!
Tho the old Samsung IC density is 8GB single 16GB dual ranked module, with the new high density IC Samsung released, i would have expected 16GB single ranked and 32GB dual ranked modules!
Tho I did not found any 16GB kit single ranked, maybe i did not looked at in depth around.

View solution in original post

15 Replies