cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Rig Showcase

jamesc359
Miniboss

Luna

Luna is a budget computer that I've been fixing up. The project started when I found the motherboard, CPU & RAM at a local second hand store. I added a 1TB hard drive, an inexpensive power supply, a budget case and my old AMD HD 7850. I'm looking to get a budget SSD for the operating system next. Currently Luna is running Linux Mint 19 Tara. I mostly use it to watch Youtube/Twitch on and browse the web.

img_0626.jpg

Pardon the smudges on the front panel.

img_0631.jpg

I've intentionally avoided RGB and bright flashy lights with this build and instead opted for a cleaner simpler and hopefully more sophisticated look. I realize the IDE ribbon is still an eyesore and detracts from that though.

img_0636.jpg

Sweeping things under the rug.

Specifications
CPUAMD FX-6300
CoolerOEM
MotherboardGigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0
Memory16GB - 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600
GraphicsASUS HD7850 2GB GDDR5
Disc DriveSeagate 1TB
PSUEVGA 450 BT 80+ Bronze
CaseRosewill Micro ATX FBM-06
Monitor22" 1080P Acer

Benchmarks
UnigineHeaven.pngUnigineSuperposition.png
DiRTRally.pngGRIDAutosport.png
TalosPrinciple.pngShadowOfMordor.png

I switched from the old radeon driver to the newer amdgpu (which performs significantly better) so my benchmarks are a little out of date.

3 Replies
darkwolfca
Miniboss

Re: Luna

great second hand find nice solid build

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Hi
Interesting build.
The case interior looks similar to the case of a Windows 98 PC I still run. 
It still has the original motherboard / GPU and PSU components though but I upgraded it with modern network cards, usb hubs etc. I have not tried upgrading the GPU on it yet. 

I see your comment about the GPU performance. 
See if you could get hold of a second hand R9 Nano and stick it in the primary motherboard slot PCIe2.0x16 slot. 
You PSU should ~ cope with that. It should give you a decent boost in gaming performance, and is a tiny GPU.

As for Linux test suite and benchmarking - try this: https://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/
Also have you tried https://fosspost.org/tutorials/enable-steam-play-on-linux-to-run-windows-games
I tested Steam Play Beta a while ago and I still use it. 
Info here: https://community.amd.com/message/2877513?commentID=2877513#comment-2877513

Bye

0 Likes
jamesc359
Miniboss

Hey,

If that computer was an old Dell machine there's a good chance the cases are the same. From what I gather this particular case came from a Windows XP machine. The case itself was pretty much trashed when I got it. The card reader is broken, so is a couple of the USB ports. It was also missing the HDD cage, which is why I'm using the floppy drive cage to store my drive in, it's far from ideal, but it works for now.

I recently struck out the comment about the GPU since I upgraded to the HD7850 which is capable of running most older games rather well. I do have to lower the resolution to 720P on most newer games though. I don't think an R9 Nano is the direction want to take, if I did anything it'd likely be to grab an RX570. Their prices have come down quit a bit and the power efficiency seems to be worth the small performance hit.

I knew about Phoronix, but I've never really given it a try. Perhaps I should. As for Proton; Praise Gaben! I use Steam Play on a regular basis. It's amazing how fast they've progressed over the past few months. So far all of the games that I've tested work remarkably well.

Regards,