Adept III

Re: Home lab, aka the 32 headed beast

You see 32 processors in windows device manager too

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Hi,

Have you considering running  Linux as your main OS and running Windows 10 on a virtual machine inside Linux in future?

Bye.

0 Likes
Obi-WanKenobi
Adept II

Cores always do more than threads, especially with virtualization apps, and of course if Multi / Hyper Threading is supported there will be a minor performance increase but then again, real cores will always do more no matter how you take it, for VF computing I'd go Dual 16 Core EPYC 7351, these have each 64MB L3 and 8 channel DDR4, which can be a major advantage over them TR's withonly 32mB L3 and 4 channel memory.

But yeah if I'd want 32 threads Id go for 32 cores, just prefer the real deal man a shame AMD went the Intel way with this Multi Threading thing, a true 32 Core CPU with 32 threads and 1 FPU per core would of been something better for all us workstation junkies.

Keep us updated on your system's progress tho, looks nice still

0 Likes
scythefwd
Adept III

I have, but since I'm a windows engineer, I'd be spending my whole time in

the VM.. Booting directly to the vm the way windows 10 does saves me a

little bit of annoyance (for those that dont know, when you install

hyper-v, it basically installs itself at the HAL, and your desktop becomes

a virtual machine.. just one you boot directly into)

0 Likes
scythefwd
Adept III

True, but at the time of purchasing.. AMD provided most cores for the buck

(still do). Intel didn't have anything that was within 500 dollars (closer

to 700) with even the same number of cores. Yes, a dedicated core is more

productive.. but the hyperthreaded processors does make a little overhead

available.. I'm not saying I'd depend on it in a production environment..

but for a home lab that doubles as my main pc.. it was the best fit.

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 4:40 PM, Obi-WanKenobi <amd-external@jiveon.com>

scythefwd
Adept III

Well, the enermax is dying.. At idle it's maintaining ~50 degrees temps.. thats way too high for a liquid cooler at idle.  Time to see if I can shoehorn a custom loop in there.. wish me luck.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Is this the cooler you have been running?

http://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/product_a1_1_1&lv0=109&lv1=118&no=369

Strange that it should start to fail so early, are you able to RMA it?

Maybe you could get a  a larger radiator on the AIO system or add a reservoir to it?
This company has some interesting solutions for that I think ... https://www.alphacool.com/products/
Good luck.

0 Likes
scythefwd
Adept III

colesdav - yes, that is the exact cooler.  Yes, they're going to rma it.  No, I'm not going to use the one they send back (though I may keep it as a spare /backup to my new cooler).  That or I'll sell it off for a few bucks and use it to offset the cost of my new cooler.

The cooler itself has a 2 year warranty, so I'm definitely within that period. 

I cannot add a reservoir or extra rad to it without voiding the warranty.. I couldn't disassemble it without it being obvious it was tampered with (looks like it uses barbed fittings and shrink wrap to keep it in place.. )

I ended up ordering these for my system:

watercool heatkiller iv pro nickle plated copper waterblock (ties for the best performing waterblock in every roundup I've seen, usually besting the EK by several degrees)

xspc photon x4 170 reservoir and pump (which will get upgraded to a d5 pump when it fails, the d5 is the better pump, but I'm still trying to be cheap... it's a hard habit to kick)

xspc compression fittings for flex

xspc 240mm radiator

2 meters worth of flex so I should have enough to do whatever routing I want.

That should be a much better flowing system vs. the enermax, but at 3x the cost too.. I'm not sure what fans I intend to run ... IF I get a wild hair, I may add a 140 mm radiator in there as well and just daisy chain them. 

scythefwd
Adept III

Shes together, no leaks, running very cool.  4ghz, 3.125v.  idles at 24 C.  Blended prime 95 maxes temps at 65 degrees C.

I can live with that.

water_cooled.jpg

0 Likes