Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Rig Showcase

daquteness
Challenger

Colt

Description

This is a Work-In-Progress build, as you can see, the fans are a dis-coordonated mess because a lot were faulty and this is what I had lying around, but I wanted to show you where it all begins. I've spared you the components shots as there's nothing new there, we've all seen the boxes

Colt is a reference to the gun-metal grey look which I absolutely love, a stealthier look to it. In most cases (no pun intended), the most beautiful components are the motherboard and graphics card. In my case (literally this time) the FE stands out a bit because it is an inverted ATX, which I LOVE, as these are premium build pieces of machinery. I will watercool it relatively soon and I thought this would be a good place to start.

Let me know your thoughts, this is just the first step, more to come soon!

Specifications

CPURyzen 7 1700@3.9Ghz stable
CoolerCorsair H115i 280mm AIO Cooler
MotherboardASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero
Memory16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000MHz (soon to be 32GB 3200MHz)
GraphicsAMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
Disc Drive 1SanDisk Ultra II 500GB SSD
Disc Drive 2Seagate FireCuda 1TB
Disc Drive 3soon, a Samsung PRO 960 500GB NVMe to swap the Sandisk with
PSUCorsair HX1200i
CaseCorsair Carbide 600C
MonitorLG 24" Freesync IPS display (LG 24MP59G)

IMG_20170827_120818.jpg

Tags (1)
50 Replies
whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner

Re: Colt

This is a clean and stealthy build! Do you have enough cable left to run the PCI-e cables from underneath the GPU?

Also, would you mind sharing what you use this powerhouse for?

0 Likes
daquteness
Challenger

I have enough cable left to hang a horse... you would not believe the sins hiding behind that top shroud! I'll post a pic at some point.

Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by running them from beneath the GPU, do you mean routing under, then up by the side instead of directly to the top? Those are independent PCIe cables (2 cables for one card) with 30cm extensions I've custom sleeved myself with paracord, considering the power draw, it's best not to force a single outlet - and it's fully modular, so why not I'll be doing the full cables kit myself, I have all the tools and love sleeving so I'm not worried about length, I'll just make what's needed - any ideas are welcome!

Powerhouse use: Renders in Max, Blender, Radeon Pro Render, really heavy Revit BIM files (5GB+ masterplans) and some render engine dev work / more like plugins via render engines APIs like nVidia's Optix and now that it's available I've fully switched to Radeon Pro Render API

Quick hint: I will have a unique, custom piece addition to the EK Vega waterblocks to go in this build, that I'll make myself and reveal once finished - it's not what I've asked you about earlier today, came up with something really special.

colesdav
MVP

Looks pretty clean to me.
Cheers.

0 Likes
whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner

Well, you know how we were talking about this awesome looking shroud on the GPU and it being a centerpiece - is it possible to have those PCI-e cables come out right above the 24-pin power cable and into the GPU.

I can't wait to see what you have in store for the waterblock(s)!

0 Likes
daquteness
Challenger

Oh, yes, that should be possible, this was just easier to tidy up behind

the shroud

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 7:51 AM, whiskey-foxtrot <amd-external@jiveon.com>

0 Likes
daquteness
Challenger

For the sake of consistency, I'd love to have the same fans all over. Are Vardars suitable for unobstructed intake and exhaust? I know they're high-pressure, suitable for rads, but wondering if it would hurt using them without any obstacles.

Cheers!

V.

0 Likes
walking_corpse
Challenger

I should totally spend more time in this section of the forums, I almost missed this! Awesome build!

walking_corpse
Challenger

Or you could curve the pci-e cables to the left so they make a rainbow-U and go straight down to the grommet at the back of the card

daquteness
Challenger

Hi there, glad you like it! I can try but two things would be in the way: the extension curve is not for that direction, but I will be making another set anyway, worth a shot; and I plan on slapping a PE series rad on the front which reduces the distance between card and fan by 50mm/2”, currently at 100mm/4".

0 Likes