cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

john1000
Adept II

Zen2/Ryzen 3000 128GB Memory Support?

I've been reading about the new Desktop Zen2 based Ryzen 3000 processors and have seen some conflicting information.  Some reports out of Computex have indicated the maximum supported memory is 64GB while others have stated 128GB.  Intel has been supporting 128GB on their consumer platform since late 2018 (Core 9th Gen Desktop Processors.)

If it will support 128GB, I'd be willing to wait to buy a new system at work to replace my old Xeon with 96GB of ram.  I'm not too interested in Threadripper or another Xeon since I'd prefer to keep power consumption lower - and cost too.

BTW, I've been very happy with my 1800x & 2700x at home (both with 64GB of ram.)

0 Likes
21 Replies

The X570 motherboards are advertising 128GB support suggesting that 32GB sticks are now available.

I have seen double row memory sticks already and I have inquired but so far nobody here has tried that.

0 Likes
john1000
Adept II

Thanks for the response hardcoregames.  My next question would be what's the compatibility matrix?  Meaning, can you have an 2700x in a x570 with 128GB of ram, or a Zen2 in an x470 or x370 with 128GB (provided that the BIOS could support that?)  Can't wait to find out.

0 Likes

it will take some time before tables of tested memory are available

at least the specs are posted for some X570 motherboards so consumers can look at options

0 Likes
t1cklebunny
Journeyman III

Hello,

I just happened to be looking for answers to this question. I don't have the money to get the RAM for just an experiment right now, but according to what I'm seeing from the chipset info, the maximum capacity is actually 256GB not 128 or 64 :

$ sudo dmidecode -t 16
# dmidecode 3.2
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.1.1 present.

Handle 0x000E, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
Physical Memory Array
    Use: System Memory
    Error Correction Type: None
    Maximum Capacity: 256 GB
    Error Information Handle: 0x000D
    Number Of Devices: 4

This is also a Biostar x370 board, with a newer BIOS (from 2018), so I'm not sure if they limiting factor would be the CPU support, or the availability of the memory sticks, but the chipset at least seems capable.

$ sudo dmidecode -t 2
# dmidecode 3.2
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.1.1 present.

Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 15 bytes
Base Board Information
    Manufacturer: BIOSTAR Group
    Product Name: X370GT5
    Version:  
    Serial Number: None
    Asset Tag: None
    Features:
        Board is a hosting board
        Board is replaceable
    Location In Chassis: None
    Chassis Handle: 0x0003
    Type: Motherboard
    Contained Object Handles: 0

Either way, it has me curious about some more details as well.

0 Likes
1tm
Journeyman III

There are reports that 128GB does work with Ryzen 1, 1+ and 2. Some examples on

overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1729458-128gb-memory-ryzen-x370.html

Another example showing ryzen 2700X and 1700 (mentioned in text) with 128gb at 2666 speed using Corsair

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ck0e1o/128gb_of_ram_on_a_b350_motherboard_yes/

and another example with 128gb at 3200 speed with 3900X and X570 Taichi board using Samsung (in Japanese) 

chimolog.co/bto-ram-32gb-module/

Speed should vary with both processor and motherboard. 128GB being dual-rank in four sockets I _guess_ 1600MHz or better with non-X Zen1 like 1700, 1866+ on X like 1800X, 2133+ on Zen1+, 2666 or better on Zen2 like 3900X. Motherboards with T-topology (near-equal memory trace lengths) such as Crosshair or Taichi should give an additional 200MHz or so. Other boards have daisy-chain layout such as other X370 and X470, and nearly all X570 boards which is ok with 2 DIMMS but slower with 4 DIMMs. Given that you already have 1800X and 2700X would be interesting if the guess is right.

0 Likes
doop_snoop
Journeyman III

Hello, I see your post, and maybe you have a suggestion for me around my problem. I just bought a 3900x to replace my 2700x on a gigabyte x470 aorus gaming 5 wifi and 4 sticks of g.skill 3200 CL 14 for a total of 64gb.

So the system was working correctly, with some difficulties to reach full speed Ram. But finally my system was running all day long for 1 year with this setup.

Then, I've received my 3900x, and now the system just won't boot at all with 4 sticks installed (black screen and red light error on the motherboard showing a cpu problem...) when I remove 2 sticks the system boot and I can run the system at ddr full speed.

What could be the problem? The bios is the lastest. I've try a lot of things (downgrade bios, 3 sticks, clear cmos, ram order, etc..) I can't use more than 2 sticks and 32gb.

Any ideas? If yes you will save my life, I need this machine for working as soon as possible.

The motherboard is the problem maybe? The DDR4 are not compatible?

Thanks a lot

0 Likes

doop_snoop wrote:

Hello, I see your post, and maybe you have a suggestion for me around my problem. I just bought a 3900x to replace my 2700x on a gigabyte x470 aorus gaming 5 wifi and 4 sticks of g.skill 3200 CL 14 for a total of 64gb.

So the system was working correctly, with some difficulties to reach full speed Ram. But finally my system was running all day long for 1 year with this setup.

Then, I've received my 3900x, and now the system just won't boot at all with 4 sticks installed (black screen and red light error on the motherboard showing a cpu problem...) when I remove 2 sticks the system boot and I can run the system at ddr full speed.

What could be the problem? The bios is the latest. I've try a lot of things (downgrade bios, 3 sticks, clear cmos, ram order, etc..) I can't use more than 2 sticks and 32gb.

Any ideas? If yes you will save my life, I need this machine for working as soon as possible.

The motherboard is the problem maybe? The DDR4 are not compatible?

Thanks a lot

probably a BIOS bug, seems to be lots of them out there

0 Likes

While I wouldn't at all be surprised by a BIOS issue, I'm curious how power delivery is impacting things. The Gigabyte x470 Gaming 5 appears to be 8-phase, and that's perfectly fine, but considering you upgraded to a 12-core part (albeit same TDP but much more complex boost algorithms) along with some performance RAM, it's a possibility. I'm not saying it *should* happen, but since I've seen motherboards between 6-16 phases, and a mainstream platform *generally* has between 8-32GB (I have 64GB of Corsair LPX 3000 CL15 myself with my 1700x). In any case, this is purely speculation. BIOS support seems to be a major thing, in particular gaining proper, stable Zen 2 support. But my gut tells me it partially hovers around power delivery too.

0 Likes

I figured out the manual for my MSI X470 Gaming Plus is backwards for installing RAM. So this discrepancy led me to have the memory setup improperly and caused all kinds of problems.

0 Likes
doop_snoop
Journeyman III

I don't think it could be a bios problem, except if all compatibles bios for Ryzen 3xxx from F40 to the latest f42b are defective. Gigabyte just release the f42b with agesa ABBA and I was full of hope about it, but results are the same, no boot with 4 sticks. Do you recommend me to upgrade the MB (this could solve the power issue?) or my DDR4?

0 Likes

does pc boot only with just two ram sticks in a2&b2 or also with just two ram sticks in a1&b1 sockets with 3900x? if either pair of sockets allows pc to boot it could be memory speed or voltage settings in bios. however, if only one pair of sockets works this could point to a defect in one of the two channels of the integrated memory controller in the new 3900x. if this is the case call or email AMD for an RMA or contact seller for a replacement.

alternative: borrow from a friend four ddr4 sticks for another test. also possibly try changing memory interleave settings in bios between chip, channel,etc.

0 Likes

I've solved the problem with help of a French forum, the problem was I didn't upgrade the MB with EC FW Update Tool. Then I have removed the 3900x, replaced my 2700x, downgrade to F31 bios, boot under windows, launch and upgrade to F40 with EC FW Update Tool (this tool upgrade the MB bios to F40 and certainly something else on the board).

After that I've replaced my 3900x, upgrade the bios to f42b, and finally replaced my 3900x and all my 4 memory-sticks. 

Now the system boot, and I can enter the bios settings. The only difference with my last 2700x, is I can't setup the memory to their good latencies, my best I can reach are 18-15-15-15-36-50. 

The memories was working at 14-14-14-14-36-50 @ 3200.

But now I can use all the memory I need. I'll continue investing to reach the good latencies if I can. 

Thanks for all your suggestions 

0 Likes

DIfferent processors often have slightly different memory ability but most of the time it should be similar enough to use the same settings

I suspect the new BIOS may have more bugs to correct

0 Likes

I'm not sure gigabyte will release a improved bios on the x470 aorus gaming 5 wifi, it's now an "old" motherboard. Then I'll certainly need to update it to a new one with x570

My budget will explode

0 Likes

doop_snoop wrote:

I'm not sure gigabyte will release a improved bios on the x470 aorus gaming 5 wifi, it's now an "old" motherboard. Then I'll certainly need to update it to a new one with x570

My budget will explode

After discovering my R5 2400G would not POST on my expensive X570 I had to plink down more pesos for an X470 board and began a systematic campaign griping about backwards compatibility

0 Likes
john1000
Adept II

Work has ordered me an 3900X, X570, and 128GB of RAM (Corsair 2666.)  After seeing 1tm's post linking to redit that shows an b350 motherboard running with 128GB of ram, I'm thinking of taking the memory home and seeing if it will work on a X370 Asus Prime Pro.

0 Likes

let me know if the X570 can POST 128GB and if possible a screenshot from CPUID

0 Likes

I'm still waiting on the PC for Work.  I ordered the same ram for my Asus X370 Prime Pro and installed it this morning.  The machine recognized all 128GB without a problem.  I'm running Memtest86 and after 4 hours I'm close to finishing the first pass of 4 without error.  At this rate, it should be done by tomorrow and I'll post my results.

0 Likes

john1000 wrote:

I'm still waiting on the PC for Work.  I ordered the same ram for my Asus X370 Prime Pro and installed it this morning.  The machine recognized all 128GB without a problem.  I'm running Memtest86 and after 4 hours I'm close to finishing the first pass of 4 without error.  At this rate, it should be done by tomorrow and I'll post my results.

Nice to see the new 128GB memory sets are working fine.

Now to see if anybody with a MSI board has done this

0 Likes

After 26 hours and 13 minutes, the system completed the memory test without error.  Everything has been working fine.

0 Likes

thanks for posting the good news

0 Likes