cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Amioran
Adept I

Zen 3 processors/chipsets have HUGE issues with USB ports

I recently built a new PC with a 5900x (B550 MB - Gigabyte Aorus Pro) and I started noticing very soon many issues popping up with the USB ports. The first instance was when I tried using the HP Reverb G2 and discovered that only two of the USB 3 ports worked with it, and then even those with intermittent audio disconnects and constant crashes. At first I thought the headset to be defective but then researching on the Internet for answers I found out that almost all the others that experienced similar issues had a point in common: they used B550/X570 boards. The doubt that the problem had to do with the headset itself was then dispelled totally when I plugged the G2 on the front USB port of my case and it then worked perfectly. The same happend when I attached the headset to an external powered USB HUB I had. However I then even discovered that when Windows put the USB port the HUB is attached to to sleep then the latter stops to work completely and it needs a full shutdown to start working again.

After this I scourred a little the net in search for a resolution to the problem and I found out the incredible amount of issues that people are having with Zen 3 processors/chipsets and USB ports, ranging from continous disconnects to crashes, to intermittent WHEA errors (that I had myself too, btw) etc. I tried every option at my disposal (latest BIOS for my Motherboard, all updated drivers etc.) but this is clearly a chipset issue that needs to be fixing. For now I have to disable C states completely and remove the possibility from Windows to put the USB hubs to sleep to not have the external HUB stop working after some inactivity, but there's no actual solution for the MB ports themselves working correctly with the G2 (or any other periphereal that require full 3.0 specifications/power from them).

It is a total mess and I sincerely hope that AMD is fully aware of this huge issue and actively working on it, but just in case I will post this thread so that someone can be made aware of it.

20 Replies
hydroptix
Journeyman III

Just got a 5800x with the MSI B550 Mortar and having tons of USB issues as well. Like you, I just found the recommendation to disable C-states, but I'm really hoping that this issue gets fixed with newer chipset drivers/bios revisions.

I've also read that setting your PCIe slots down to gen3 can fix this. Definitely a motherboard/AGESA issue.

0 Likes
trek
Elite

There are huge issues with USB 3 with Zen 3 - not caused by AMD, problem is interference from cheap devices and cables, you can read about this issue (related to wifi)

https://www.usb.org/document-library/usb-30-radio-frequency-interference-impact-24-ghz-wireless-devi...

I made tests with my devices and cables and unfortunatelly for example I have unfortunatelly only one USB 3 connection cable that is ok, that is expensive very thick usb cable. I verified that issues are caused by various devices by testing unshielded and then with additional shielding. With additional shielding issues were alleviated.

Issues are caused with all USB 3 devices that have plastic casing, cables that have shielding but thin (cables shielding must be very thick and cable is much more thick that cheap(er) cable).

Issues with USB 3 can manifest in various forms - total loss of WiFI networks, massively descreased throughput between PC and device, device disconnect.

Solution to this issue is to use quality cables and devices, move device far from PC (connect with quality cable), additionally shield device.

My conclusion to this is that indeed Zen 3 processors are causing no issues with USB 3, it is unquality cables and devices.

0 Likes

If the problem was tied to the peripheral itself then the issue would not be resolved by using an external powered HUB or front case ports, and it would be there also on Intel chipsets, is it not? IT IS a issue of AMD because it happens ONLY AND EXCLUSIVELY with B550/X570 chipsets, especially when coupled with Zen 3 CPUs. Furthermore it is clear that's an issue tied with the chipset/processor because some of the problems (not all sadly) can be alleviated by disabling power saving features or dialing back the PCI-E lane to Gen 3. Could you explain to me what doing so would change if the problem was tied directly to the cable shielding of the device itself (as you pretend)? Then are you seriously trying to pretend that a USB powered HUB has shielding issues? Because, you see, even a simple USB HUB doesn't work properly half of the times and/or only in certain ports. It never happened to me even once previously that an external USB HUB wasn't recognized properly or stopped working (especially after a sleep cycle).

Yet again, I will repeat this another time: there are countless of threads in Reddit and all over the net about problems with AMD chipsets and USB ports and every one that reports these issues states that they can resolve the problem by attaching the same peripheral to an external device (as other PCI-E ports not tied to the Motherboard or a USB HUB) and users with Intel CPUs/chipsets using THE SAME EXACT DEVICES don't incur those same problems (if they do they are of a different nature, having nothing to do with the USB port itself). This is clear proof of the fact that the issue is fully tied to AMD chipsets/processors and not the devices themselves.

0 Likes

Nope, one can just Google information about particular device, e.g. HP Reverb mentioned here and there all issues with this device on various motherboards, Intel too (so again it is misiformation) . Nothing exclusive with B550, X570 chipsets, this is lie. I have B550 and no problems related to CPU or motherboard. I do not pretend anything, I carefully tested all my devices and cables.

Problem with sleep cycle is driver issue of said device obviously,, why would it be CPU issue, nonsense.

Can you provide link where it is demonstrated how PCIe lane switch to gen 3 solved anything, please?

It is unquality devices, cables and drivers of said devices, not CPU, not chipset.

If you use USB hub you move device from PC which is one solution I offered. Also issue is related to USB 3, usb 3.2 is worse from my observations than 3.1. In older systems people did not have USB 3 often so they associate new issues with CPU or chipset.

What I can recommend, request technical support from manufacturer of device that has problems, requirest fixed drivers, etc. Often USB devices are from companies that often release couple of versions of driver only for limited time and are not able provide continual software support.

In this case if you put AMD next to HP, what is more probable - bug on AMD side or HP side? Definetely HP with their wierd drivers and lax software support.

There are no USB issues with B550 and X570 motherboards, AMD did now acnknowledge any USB problems. Contact motherboard manufacturer for BIOS update (e.g. from my experience it takes e.g. Asus some time to finish stable Bios), contact USB device manfufacturer for driver and firmware update. People just want to transfer reponsibility to AMD because they know USB device manufacturer will never provide assistence.

0 Likes

Trek you talk too much and know very little. What are you going to say now that AMD has now officially acknowledged the issue?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/lnmet0/an_update_on_usb_connectivity_with_500_series/?utm_sour...

0 Likes

I 100% support you on this. Not sure what the individual talking about cables means, my problems ONLY resolve when I switch the PCI-E 16x slot to Gen 3 in the BIOS, as opposed to Auto (PCIE Gen 4). This has been the case for a lot of others online. In my case, I begin to experience the issues when the CPU comes under any serious sort of multicore load and this leads to my audio card and other peripherals quickly cycling power and malfunctioning. I can most certainly say that my cables and power supply are high quality, as I have to ensure they are given that my PC is largely used for music production.

0 Likes

Described issues do not mean that Zen 3 architecture or chipset architecture is defective.

Motherboards have the highest RMA rate of PC components, what you describe here is e.g. defective motherboard or power supply. I do not understand what fix do you expect from AMD. Usb works perfectly fine with Zen 3.

AMD can hardly do anyting, only motherboard manufacturer with BIOS update.

I do not know how people run things but if I buy something and it does not work I go and return it to retailer. If I buy expensive computer and it does not work correctly I return said computer, in case of component I pinpoint component and return component, it is so simple - while returning said component I pick up new component, e.g. motherboard.

"A lot" of people having issues is very small number below nominal RMA rate. There are absolutely no issues with USB port design, chipset design, Zen 3 design.

Can somebody explain me why is so difficult to RMA motherboard? Is it easier perhaps to make pointless threads in discussion forums.

0 Likes

What are you talking about, we clearly all have different motherboard and all having the same issues, the only commonality here is the CPU

0 Likes
Juannox
Adept I

whea errors, unwanted reboots on idle and usb issues here, welcome aboard....

- Ryzen 5900x, (stock) Aorus X570 Elite Wifi - HyperX Fury 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Ram CL17 DIMM (Kit of 2x16GB) - SSD: Intel Optane 900p 280 GB -

sylatex
Journeyman III

Have you found any solutions for this, its totally frustrating and unacceptable to be honest 

0 Likes

r9 5900
asus B550-E Gaming
While asus aura installed (which uses usb-2.0 port) there is a problem using usb audio Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - cracles and distortion in sound
the online stream in Discord lead to crash of soundcard and all aura system to continuous reloading of both of them. Uninstalling of Aura solves the problem.

0 Likes

AMD has acknowledged the issue now so fingers crossed a fix should be on the way.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/lnmet0/an_update_on_usb_connectivity_with_500_series/?utm_sour...

0 Likes
marcusob
Adept I

I get a full USB reset of all my USB devices when using my Oculus Rift headset.

I have opened an issue with oculus, as my Rift S keeps resetting. First I thought it was steam losing comms, then realized it was happening on Oculus (non Steam) games, so thought it was Oculus. Now it appears to be this. The reason I know its not my Oculus anymore is today when I was using the headset the reset happened, this time I was sitting in front of my PC (not in another room on the VR), my web camera reset at the exact same time, so its all my USBs. I first noticed it happening I would say about 2 weeks ago (but it could have been broken longer I just didnt see the reset on VR). 

Its definitely a USB reset, it could be the motherboard, drivers, CPU. I have the following setup

AMD Zen 3 Ryzen 3900x

Gigabyte Aorus x570 Elite Wifi Motherboard 

NVidia RTX 3090 

64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4

3 X NVMe PCIe4 SSDs (Corsair/Sabrent)

4 x SATA SSDs

1 x SATA 4TB HDD

1000W PSU

I have swapped all the USBs around as I have unused ports), switched some of my 2.0 USBs over to using a self powered Hub.

USB 3's are 

Oculus Rift S

USB 2's are

Powered Hub

Keyboard wifi 

Mouse wifi

Numberpad wifi

Xbox Controller 

0 Likes

Ok I've fixed it. I moved the USBs around. Now my USB config looks like this,  and I have not had any issues. BTW I didnt change to PCIe 3 from 4 as recommended etc. I have only moved my USBs around.

If you notice the Oculus Rift S is on its own hub. I had to muck about quite a bit to get this config, as it maps to the ports on the MB in a weird way. My MB being an Aorus x570 Elite Wifi. My MB is on the F31q BIOS.

My Computer: LIGHTNING - Windows 10 Home x64
|---AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)
|   \---USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)
|       |HS-[1-1]
|       |HS-[1-2]
|       |HS-[1-3]
|       |HS-[1-4]
|       |FS-[1-5]: Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) - 2× Media, COM7, COM8, COM6, COM9
|       +---[1-6]: Generic USB 2.0 Hub
|       |SS-[1-7]
|       |SS-[1-8]
|       |SS-[1-9]
|       \SS-[1-10]
|---AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)
|   \---USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)
|       |HS-[2-1]
|       |---[2-2]: Rift S USB 2.1 Hub
|       |   |HS-[2-2-1]
|       |   \FS-[2-2-2]: USB Composite Device - COM5, Audio, 2× HID
|       |HS-[2-3]
|       |HS-[2-4]
|       |SS-[2-5]
|       |---[2-6]: Rift S USB Hub
|       |   \SS-[2-6-1]: USB Composite Device - Image
|       |SS-[2-7]
|       \SS-[2-8]
\---AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)
    \---USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)
        |---[3-1]: Generic USB 2.1 Hub
        |   |FS-[3-1-1]: USB Composite Device - Mouse, 2× HID, Keyboard
        |   |FS-[3-1-2]: USB Composite Device - Mouse, Keyboard, 2× HID
        |   |LS-[3-1-3]: USB Composite Device - 2× Keyboard, Mouse, 2× HID
        |   \HS-[3-1-4]
        |43-[3-2]: Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)
        |---[3-3]: Generic USB 2.0 Hub
        |   |HS-[3-3-1]
        |   |FS-[3-3-2]: Xbox 360 Controller for Windows - HID
        |   |HS-[3-3-3]
        |   \FS-[3-3-4]: USB Composite Device - WebCam, Audio
        |FS-[3-4]: USB Input Device - 2× HID
        |HS-[3-5]
        |HS-[3-6]
        +---[3-7]: Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub
        |SS-[3-8]
        |SS-[3-9]
        \SS-[3-10]

0 Likes

AMD Investigating USB Issues in 500-Series Motherboards

AMD has launched an investigation into reports of USB problems in its 500-series motherboards and is asking affected users to sound off on the problem. It’s also invited users to contact it directly by opening a support ticket. The company says it’s engaged in root cause analysis and that some users who post information in the appropriate Reddit thread may be contacted later to provide additional details.

The problem with potential X570 and B550 board stability was indirectly raised by PowerGPU earlier this month. We reported on the PowerGPU situation and the fact that reported RMA rates from other retailers do not match the failure numbers PowerGPU had seen. The company has since taken down its initial tweet and says it is working with AMD to resolve what might have caused its problems. But while there is no public proof that AMD CPUs are failing, AMD X570 and B550 motherboards both seem as though they may have some problematic tendencies. AMD’s Reddit post states:

AMD is aware of reports that a small number of users are experiencing intermittent USB connectivity problems with 500-series chipsets. We have analyzed the cause and at this time would like to ask the community for assistance with a small selection of additional hardware configurations In the next few days, some r / Amd users may be contacted directly by an AMD representative (u / AMDOfficial) through Reddit’s PM system with a request for more information.

Reports in the requisite thread are varied as to the cause and potential solutions. Multiple users are reporting that heavy USB bus activity seems to trigger problems, and VR headsets are commonly mentioned. Other users report that they have to plug USB devices in according to a specific order, or that literally only one port on their motherboard works for VR. I had similar issues getting an Oculus Rift to function with USB 3.0, but that was years ago, and I was working with an old X79 board with a third-party, first-generation USB 3.0 chip. Modern motherboards, particularly those built for high-end gaming, should be immune to this kind of risk. Other users have reported onboard audio crashes or the failure of third-party DACs when connected via USB.

Presently, the X570 and B550 are affected. This is an Asrock board, but the problem is not known to be specific to any manufacturer.

One potential solution, quoted by multiple users, is to only use PCIe 3.0 signaling speeds for your graphics card. Motherboards should offer the option to use PCIe 3.0 GPU signaling without shutting off PCIe 4.0 SSD support. Some users believe the problem was actually present in the X470 family while others report having previously owned stable X470 rigs before upgrading to either B550 or X570 and that the problems occurred only once they updated.

Sometimes, when you read through a tech thread, you can get a feel for what’s going on and what might fix it. The advice to drop back to PCIe 3.0 definitely works for some people, but not others. One user claims they only encountered the problem on 500-series boards, another person counters that it started with 400-series boards. Some claim issues date back to launch, others have said the problems only began a few months ago. The PCIe 4.0 fix works for a lot of people, but not for everyone. Whether these users are experiencing unrelated USB issues or have a different variant of this common problem is unknown.

One Reddit user, Darklaunch357, reports that deactivating global c-states in UEFI reduces the disconnect rate from every 10 minutes to roughly every 30. He additionally reports:

Update (2/21): After some monitoring and studies, I’ve found that having PCI Express 4.0 enabled leads to high DPC time on “asmtxhci.sys” (ASMedia xHCI Host Controller Driver) according to LatencyMon, and a distinct mistiming leading to high latencies consistently in the 54 ms mark (with eventual spikes to 240-310 ms) as reported by DS4Windows’ latency measurements on a wired DualShock 4. Such spikes coincide with other general malfunctions such as the keyboard freezing and the sound stuttering.

So far, the ONLY reliable workaround is forcibly disabling PCI Express 4.0 by setting PCIEX16_1 to “GEN 3” in the BIOS. The occasional “DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE” BSOD that may occur every now and then (with a root cause in ntoskrnl.exe) should also be fixed by that workaround.

This is the best summary of the problem as it is understood to date. I’ve recently built myself a system based on a B550 TUF motherboard from Asus, so I’m going to actually try and replicate some workloads on the rig to better test its behavior.

https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/amd-investigating-usb-issues-in-500-series-motherbo...

0 Likes

Really helps to set up PCI from Gen4 to Gen3. All crackles and bugs with my USB soundcard are disappeared in that case but it's a pity to have the possibility to activate Gen4 but not to use it. Something should be done by AMD in that case.

0 Likes

I can say that I have an X470 motherboard with an Ryzen 9 5950X, and I do not have any USB issues.  So at least from an n =1, the 400 series is unaffected.

0 Likes

For those it happens to -- when it happens, are all usb ports disconnected at the same time?

I have an external USB audio DAC that works undisturbed.

My other two things plugged in are a keyboard and a wireless mouse.

I know for a fact the keyboard disconnects and reconnects every so often.

Maybe the mouse does too but it reconnects so fast I don't notice it? But it definitely happens to my keyboard

0 Likes