cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

zoulztealer
Journeyman III

zen 2 disobeying power plan, bios settings?

i have a ryzen 3600 here on a gigabyte x570 ud bios f4b, that is apparently disobeying bios and power plan settings specifically such as disabling of "core performance boost", "global c-state control", "ccpc" and "minimum performance state of processor", "core parking".

using windows 10 1903, latest updates, amd chipset drivers and power plans (ryzen balanced and high performance or windows power plans). even as i disabled all settings via bios and power plan to disable things like c-states, core parking, etc completely, the cpu would still downclock and park cores. no matter what i set in bios or the power plan, the cpu just right out ignores it. even with a fixed multiplier core states, downclocking and power saving features will remain active and enforced by the cpu.

i suspect this is due to the bios / agesa microcode and / or power plan. is it safe to run the cpu @4.2ghz with 1.5v on a daily basis instead or will it degrade too fast then? even with enough thermal headroom, the cpu doesnt clock to boost speed often enough. i know this was an issue before and has been patched with the latest bios, but its still not good enough. looking forward to agesa 1004b, which hopefully fixes all of this.

0 Likes
4 Replies
zoulztealer
Journeyman III

ZenStates 

Due to differences between Zen/Zen+ and Zen2, the application will automatically turn on applicable controls.
For example, P-states don't work as expected on Zen2. Read and write operations complete successfully, but they seem to be ignored. Differences might be expected due to different AGESA and SMU versions as well.

0 Likes

What program are you using which is having issues with the CPU changing power states in 2 milliseconds?

0 Likes

you mean 1ms. cppc enabled produces micro and greater stuttering in games when something is running in the background. so yes, of course there are a lot of issues. point is, the cpu is working below stock frequency almost all the time, prompting me to think the term stock frequency doesnt even apply to this cpu. why would i waste cpu performance on power saving that i dont need and other processes that are detrimental to performance because they are flawed? and do you believe that the cpu and bios in the current state are final and bug free considered there will be over 100 bug fixes and new features with the next agesa patch and more on in later versions?

0 Likes

1.5V is a bit aggressive, I use 1.42V which is not going to hurt long term performance

0 Likes