cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

pokester
MVP

Re: XMP profile RAM 3200 Mhz and AMD warranty policy for Ryzen processors

I agree 100 %.  Some of of the  SI's would not honor warranties. One of them was advertising on their website and even the box the higher memory speed but would deny warranty if you used it. Gamer's Nexus and I believe LTT about a year ago told them if this practice didn't stop they would stop advertising for them. It worked and the company no longer persecute their customers that buy their gaming rigs and use them at advertised speed.

We have all seen the videos of Lisa herself showing Ryzen's performance on 3600 ram the highest you can go on infinity fabric at 1 to 1. Yet if you do that, exactly what AMD themselves demonstrate, advertise, in reality by proxy recommended, then you void your warranty. That is nuts. Where I really have more of an issue now as that with Ryzen 3xxx it even officially supports up to 3200, over that AMD makes no claim of support on paper anyway on the product page. But to use it you have to enable XMP. So to me at least at that one XMP speed I think you could have a legal case to say no using XMP can't void my warranty. But AMD's verbiage of what voids warranty contradicts that logic. So bets thing IMHO is if you need to warranty a CPU never admit to using anything but bios defaults, not  XMP, DOCP , PBO, or manual changes to any settings at all. As any of that is cause for them to deny warranty.

Intel does the exact same thing. Although you can pay for an additional plan from them that will cover the processor if you do any of this. Again with them though just don't ever tell them you ran anything but defaults. 

peterq94
Adept II

Thank you very much for answer. Like I earlier wrote - I got a message from ASUS Support that if I turn on XMP profile I will lost my warranty. I think that I can lie if I will do RMA to AMD (processor warranty). Maybe you are right and they can not to check this but Asus can search BIOS history. If it is possible I can be in trouble if I would like to do RMA for motherboard.

I think that official specification for AMD - 3200 Mhz is not for memory with XMP profile because these are memory for overclocking. I think that XMP is overclocking because we increase voltage on the CPU memory controller to 1.35V. Overclocking is not only increase performance it is also higher voltage than stock settings.

I think that only 3200 Mhz what is officialy supported without void warranty are memory with JEDEC specification like Kingston KVR32B22S8/8

This is link for memory specifications: https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR32N22S8_8.pdf 
An this is QVL from ASUS motherboard for 3-rd Ryzen processor: TUF GAMING A520M-PLUS Memory | Motherboards | ASUS Global 

If you will typing "KVR32B22S8/8" in search table you can find these memory and we can see that this memory will run 3200 Mhz out of the box without XMP and with stock voltage 1.2V.

I think that this is reason why we should not tell them about XMP but like I said - Asus can veryfing in BIOS maybe they have something like "history settings". We users can't find this but Asus people maybe will do this.

0 Kudos
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

If OP asks about what keeps producers (manufacturers) from leaving legal deficits to protect themselves, you know best. But this is not true in my opinion. pokester
In short, XMP is an option offered by the RAM manufacturer and does not exclude RAMs from RMA. It won't leave the processor anyway...

0 Kudos
peterq94
Adept II

Maybe you can think like this but Asus people from Support section wrote me that if I will turn XMP profile this can be reason to void warranty. Overclocking is also option offered from manufacturer but they everything wrote that this void warranty so if you will do this is a risk that maybe in BIOS some setting are saved (like I said "history") for manufacturer so if you turn back stock setting somewhere can be history of your changes. I think that this can be included in BIOS of course hidden for users. This can be escape from warranty for manufacturer. If I will be manufacturer I will do this and make earn $.

0 Kudos
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

You don't need an XMP profile. Apply the maximum speed offered by the RAM manufacturer with the BIOS advanced settings without XMP selection.

0 Kudos
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

XMP does not increase the voltage of the RAM controller. According to RAMs of 1.2v and 1.35v, the BIOS applies this voltage to the processor without increasing and if this voltage is not applied, the system will not work. A processor does not malfunction due to the XMP profile. Even if it will fail with the XMP profile, it will not work properly anyway. Also, if a processor is down, you probably won't be able to take advantage of RMA. Processors do not malfunction externally from misuse. It can withstand up to 200 degrees. And it has to work well below this temperature.

0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

You have to watch what the boards say they support many list support on the boards up to 3000 and after it is consider an overclock. Then you have CPU and APU and both of those may not have the same specifications. So lots of variable. Anyway as later stated when someone suggest changing it manually as not to use XMP well according to AMD any manual change voids warranty too. Not my rules, I think they are nuts too. 

0 Kudos
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Choosing an XMP profile can change other important settings of BIOSs. This is why I recommend changing it manually. Obviously, even making an OC to a processor does not leave anyone out of warranty according to motherboard model.

Damage to audio, ethernet and similar buses or chips of a system you make OC is covered by the manufacturer's warranty. However, if the VRM of an OC system is damaged, this system will not be covered by the warranty even if OC is not performed. If you manage to break a processor it is out of warranty. 

So it matters which part of your motherboard or graphics card is damaged. For example, I do not think that your graphics card will put the video memory defects under warranty, whether it is OC or not. In this context, XMP is definitely not covered by OC. If the manufacturer puts it in OC class, it is to protect itself.

The sensors and control mechanisms of the new systems are very good. Computer BIOSs already protect systems from potential damage. A PSU manufacturer has to use the mechanism that will prevent this excess power and throw the heat out, even if you apply power beyond its capacity. And it has to specify the matters that are not covered by the warranty in accordance with this issue. Otherwise, the producer company cannot defend itself against those who sue it.

The RAM manufacturer determines the XMP profile. Choosing XMP can only damage RAM. There is no possibility of damaging another part....

0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

I'm not having this debate with you. I am not an expert of what they will and won't cover. It is pointless to have any conversation with you as you believe whatever you want so go ahead and keep doing that. The OP has already said what the motherboard maker has said and I have already provided what AMD says. Believe whatever you want and leave me out of it. I am here to help the OP not have pointless debates with you. 

0 Kudos
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

I am not saying the information you shared is wrong, and I am not saying what I wrote is correct. Frankly, I thought I was writing something different. I wrote the answer to you, so that my suggestion would not be misunderstood. It's not because you're spelling it wrong. Goodbye...

0 Kudos