Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

peterq94
Adept III

XMP profile RAM 3200 Mhz and AMD warranty policy for Ryzen processors

Dear AMD Community,

I have question about warranty policy for Ryzen processors (3-rd generation) reference to XMP profile for RAM memory. If I enable XMP profile 1,35 V and 3200 Mhz speed I will lost my warranty for AMD Ryzen processor? This recommended speed - 3200 Mhz for 3-rd generation Ryzen processor is reference only for JEDEC specification memory? I must know about it. You can past some links from AMD website to prove your knowledge about this.

Maybe people from AMD can answer for this question? XMP memory are very popular now but people don't say that this can be problem with warranty. On AMD YouTube channel also these memory are very popular. I don't find video on AMD channel with JEDEC memory.

Thanks for your time.

25 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Re: XMP profile RAM 3200 Mhz and AMD warranty policy for Ryzen processors

No. You will not lose your warranty. Anyway the processors and the chipsets do not allow too high RAM speeds with BIOSs. In other words, you cannot run your RAMs at a speed that will break the warranty.

0 Likes
peterq94
Adept III

I asked ASUS and they told me that if I enable D.O.C.P I can lost warranty for motherboard because this is overclocking and it is beyond JEDEC specification. If I will buy memory and I don't enable XMP profile my memory will be run at low speed 2133 Mhz or 2400 Mhz so it is not good to performance. On AMD website I found this:

"Overclocking memory will void any applicable AMD product warranty, even if such overclocking is enabled via AMD hardware and/or software. This may also void warranties offered by the system manufacturer or retailer or motherboard vendor. Users assume all risks and liabilities that may arise out of overclocking memory, including, without limitation, failure of or damage to RAM/hardware, reduced system performance and/or data loss, corruption or vulnerability. GD-112"

Link: https://www.amd.com/en/partner/amd-builds-great-foundations 

And this "DDR4-2667 is the maximum supported JEDEC speed for AMD Ryzen™ processors, for one DIMM per channel of single-rank DDR4. For speeds above DDR4-2667, many modules employ a non-standard overclocking profile "XMP 2.0" for increased speeds with non-JEDEC timings and voltages."

I know that 3-rd generation have support for DDR4-3200 probably by JEDEC speed but I think that XMP profile will be means like overclocking so this will be void my warranty. On the market I found only 3 or 4 modules for JEDEC 3200 Mhz specification but they are expensive and not available.

I will wait for AMD people answer.

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Using your system by selecting the highest XMP profile with the BIOS will not leave you out of warranty.
XMP implements the stable speeds offered by the manufacturer.
Some changes you make other than choosing a XMP profile, or a software such as Ryzen Master may make your system run faster, and such situations may leave your system out of warranty.
If any of the motherboard parts that could be damaged by the OC are damaged, they will not provide you with warranty service. But these parts have nothing to do with just selecting a XMP profile.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

According to AMD XMP, DOCP, PBO are all considered overclocks. AMD support may consider your warranty void if used. It is ridiculous and they have no way of knowing if you used it. So best bet is to just say you didn't. They can't tell unless you tell them. 

That being said as Zen2 technically supports 3200 but you have to enable XMP to get that? Or is anything over 3200 like 3400 or 3600 an overclock. 

The truth is that by standards though all memory using XMP speed does overclcock the processor as the memory controller is on the CPU. 

It is ludicrous though to deny warranty though for using and advertised speed. But some speeds that they call the sweet spot 3600 and this is AMD themselves in benchmarking by what support says will void your warranty if you use it. 

JUST DON'T TELL THEM IF YOU HAVE TO RMA

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

High-speed RAM usage makes it lighter for applications that require high CPU load. So high speed RAMs reduce the load on the processor. You know this information wrongly. In addition, the processor-chipset pair does not provide bus frequency change and processor buffer rate increase by XMP profile selection.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

You keep on thinking whatever you like, I know you will. 

First off I made ZERO comment on what ram does with load.

So how I am wrong is beyond me since I made no such comment to begin with?

A quick search of google and you can find videos from Gamers Nexus, Jay Two Cents, Linus Tech Tips and countless others explaining that yes XMP does technically overclock the processor. 

I don't personally think it is anything harmful.

As usual you concentrate on calling other users wrong. 

Bottom line is I answered the OP not you and the OP is welcome to follow whatever advice they like. 

If the OP wants an answer from AMD they can contact AMD support and get the same answer I gave that has been reported in these forums many, many, many times over and stated by forum mods as well.

pokester
MVP

To the OP 

Since you wanted to be pointed to the exact verbiage that AMD states:

GD-26
AMD’s product warranty does not cover damages caused by overclocking, even when overclocking is enabled via AMD hardware and/or software . GD-26

GD-106
Overclocking AMD processors, including without limitation, altering clock frequencies / multipliers or memory timing / voltage, to operate beyond their stock specifications will void any applicable AMD product warranty, even when such overclocking is enabled via AMD hardware and/or software. This may also void warranties offered by the system manufacturer or retailer. Users assume all risks and liabilities that may arise out of overclocking AMD processors, including, without limitation, failure of or damage to hardware, reduced system performance and/or data loss, corruption or vulnerability. GD-106

GD-112
Overclocking memory will void any applicable AMD product warranty, even if such overclocking is enabled via AMD hardware and/or software.  This may also void warranties offered by the system manufacturer or retailer or motherboard vendor.  Users assume all risks and liabilities that may arise out of overclocking memory, including, without limitation, failure of or damage to RAM/hardware, reduced system performance and/or data loss, corruption or vulnerability.  GD-112

You can find this on the AMD website here:

https://www.amd.com/en/corporate/gamingdetails 

Again I think this is crazy on their part.

While up to 3200 is a now a JDEC standard you still have to enable a XMP or DOCP to get there. Or manually make the changes, regardless it is clear above that changing this does void the warranty.

Their actual warranty page doesn't mention any of this and is very ambiguous IMHO. 

However you want them to deny your RMA just mention you used XMP, DOCP or PBO. 

Like I said, don't worry about it. If you have an issue just tell them you used nothing but defaults. Problem solved. 

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

If a processor supports faster RAMs, these RAMs put less load on this processor for an unit thread.
Because of this, this processor's performance increases, but the reason for this increase is not OC.
RAM controllers for new generation processors are in processors. But this does not indicate that this condition is OC.
With an XMP profile selection, processors are not broken. Even processors are not broken for any reason.

Some motherboards increase some values, such as TDP limit, with the XMP profile selection. I think the main point of ASUS support is not to increase the speed of RAM only. So the BIOS may not implement this XMP properly. XMP selection may be causing OC. This is the point, I think.

In short, ASUS support said do not change the settings you do not know for OP. I may have misunderstood what you wrote. It's okay, I'm not trying to argue. I was not trying to argue before.

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

What's crazy is AMD & Intel both use advertising benchmarks with XMP enabled memory profile that invalidate their warranties.

They should be reported to advertising watchdogs until they remove this clause from the warranties. 

0 Likes