Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Novahawk
Adept I

x570 + PCI-E 4 Sound issues/popping

All,

I've had issues with my audio ever since I purchased an RTX 3080 (upgrading from a 1080Ti) on my x570 Aorus Elite running an R9 3900x. At first I thought it was my sound card (Sound Blaster Zx), where I'd get terrible popping, channel swapping, sound stage changing constantly. It was ridiculous.

I fixed it by going from PCI-E "Auto" to forcing PCI-E to Gen3.

I decided to test some more since everyone kept laying the blame on Creative... so I took out the sound card, DDU removed all sound blaster drivers, cleaned up everything, and enabled HD Audio in my bios and reverted back to PCI-E "Auto".

I had a SIMILAR issues, not exactly the same, but still issues. There is audible popping in the audio, and it's really bad with some types of audio that hit hard (hard rock style music does it the most).

Turning PCI-E back to Gen3, all popping goes away completely.

I've updated Win10 fully, updated all drivers, and updated BIOS from F11 to F21 (held off on going to F30 as I don't believe this will fix it), and the issue persists if PCI-E is running in Gen4 (Auto sets it since I have a PCI-E 4 GPU). I don't do any OC except for using the XMP profile (3466 CL16) for my memory.

I've not done any voltage changes to SoC or anything else as I've seen others recommends, because when I checked my voltages for SoC and VDDG they're all within the DRAM calculator's recommended range for my memory.

What's going on here? I see this issue going on with many other x570 boards and not just Gigabyte. Is AMD working on a fix?

3 Replies
rumple
Adept II

This guy is asking a question, which a TOn of people are having.  Let me take a guess.  The new AGESA BIOS tells the SOC to use the same fall time on a clock pulse for BOTH the PCIe and USB controller, but the new CPUs produce back EMF from a capacitor bank when the two things triggered by the SOC share a fall time on a clock pulse.  Once you add a 1 to X nanosecond delay on the PCIe bus data read time, you get a cleaner signal on the bus?

Interesting speculation for sure. I've tried my old Soundblaster Core 3D chip powered card and also a Soundblaster AE-5 card. I've messed aroud with bandwidth settings Gen 3 and such and still no dice. What is curious is that I'm still on an non-PCIE 4 GPU, so it's definitely something else. I was reading that even the Nuaudio sound card from EVGA and the Asus Sonar cards don't work, so I lay this at AMDs tech team to resolve. My sound cards had no issues on X370 chipset at all and Ryzen 1700X. A little disappointed given how amazing my new AMD 5800X runs in my ASUS TUF x570 Pro board. 

0 Likes

You should ask AMD. This is user to user forum. 

Contact AMD support here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes