cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

X399 Chipset Issues ( Not Passthrough AFAIK )

I have an ASUS Rampage V edition 10 and an ASUS X399a.

On both machines I installed ASUS XGC-100C 10Gbe nics, on both machines they are seen ; however neither machine can ping one another after being setup with a class C ip address and subnet, I.E 192.168.1.x with a netmask of 255.255.255.0. - Both will work with the NICs connected to a switch at 1GB - end result ASUS said return the cards so that is what I did - which brings us to today.

I brought two Mellenox ConnectX2 SFP nics and a Cisco 5m Cable and repeated the above process, the R5E10 no problems, the X399a saw the NIC once when i first loaded up and showed an error 43, so deleted the driver and rebooted - this was the last time this card was seen.

Tried the card in all of the slots on my motherboard with and without my raid controller - not seen.

Tried the card in my R5E10 and put the card from my R5E10 on the X399 i.e swapped the cards between the two PC's

R5E10 - card found, X399a - not seen.

I am going batty here trying to sort this out and am quickly coming to the conclusion that there is either a fault in the X399 motherboard bios ( after reading about other PCIe issues with X399 online ) OR that there is a problem in the X399 chipset related to PCIe, either way I want this sorted as it has cost me a lot of time, effort, energy and money to set this up - and I'm getting to the point that I feel like returning this stuff and going with the devil I know - namely Intel - which I don't want to as they lost a lot of trust from me after the whole Spectre etc debacle. But it comes down to this - I need something that just works the way it's meant to.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
41 Replies
Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

Re: X399 Chipset Issues ( Not Passthrough AFAIK )

falloutboy, I recommend your try the latest drivers from Aquantia.  I am assuming these NICs use Aquantia chips.  I have an ASRock board with an Aquantia NIC on the MB.  I cannot use the Aquantia drivers but do not know about ASUS.  I also recommend you get the latest Chipset drivers from AMD Support.  Please use Manually Select.  Enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I'm checking out the latest chipset drivers from the AMD website now and

will compare driver versions with what is currently installed ; however

when it comes to the Aquantia drivers the latest version from their website

made things worse, the cards refused to identify that they even had a cable

attached.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

Sorry that was not useful, falloutboy.  It is time to open a Support Ticket with ASUS.  I think Aquantia also has a support path now.  If so, open a ticket there Also.  Please post your results here.  Thanks and good luck, John.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Additional,

I confirmed both Mellenox cards are working by plugging them individually into my R5E10 while in there i did a "mst status" from an administrative command prompt and got the expected response that provides the cards device number.

I can plug either card into the X399 and note the i don't get a PXE boot message when the machine starts up, nothing is found in control panel->administrative tools->device manager->Network devices and doing a "mst status" on from an administrative command prompt on this machine results in "no card found".

I am attacking this problem on two fronts at the moment - through asus and here through AMD, it's not just a particular card brand issue this is either a chipset, motherboard or bios issue and unless they fix it - i'll be going for a full refund.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

By any chance did you read the manual on the Mellenox ConnectX2 SFP cards. If not, here it is from Mellonox Website: http://www.mellanox.com/related-docs/user_manuals/ConnectX_2_%20VPI_UserManual_MHZH29.pdf .

It has links to where you can download Firmware and Drivers for the card at Mellenox Support. Here are the various drivers for ethernet for Windows OS: http://www.mellanox.com/page/software_overview_eth .

The cards need to be installed in a PCIe 2.0 x 8 (same as PCIe 3.0 x 4) motherboard slots to operate.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Yup - for reference both cards autodetect immediately when plugged into my

R5E10 and both provide PXE uefi bios startup messages before the loading of

Windows (My OS) and if you like in device manager you can see the Mellenox

card there.

Do this on the X399, no PXE boot message, nothing under device manager.

Physically the PCIe 2.0 x 8 fits quite happily into a PCie3 x 16 -

obviously only 8 lanes will be used as that is what is physically connected

- or at least it should be - I've tried the card in every slot barring the

video cards slot because of course I need that, I know the card works

because my R5E10 knows all about it - but in the X399 absolutely zero. I

have run up mst status on the card on my R5E10 I get this.

MST Devices

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Is this the BIOS you have installed on your X399a : PRIME X399-A | Motherboards | ASUS USA

BIOS

Version 06012018/05/025.29 MBytes

PRIME X399-A BIOS 0601
Update AGESA 1.0.0.5
recommend to keep C-state [enable]

copied this from the X399a Manual: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketTR4/PRIME_X399-A/E13889_PRIME_X399-A_UM_V3_WEB.pdf?_ga=2.1...

Could it be possible that the slots are not running at the minimum PCIe 2.0 x 8 speed with two cards installed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

falloutboy, sounds like you have no driver at all installed.  MS will not have a driver for the card.  I think you need to go to Mellenox, DL and install the correct driver for your card.  Am I missing something obvious?  Enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Yes Bios version 0601 and card currently running in slot 4 in x8 mode

although it refuses to work in any slot with or without any other PCIecards

installed

0 Kudos