cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

x399_threadripper
Journeyman III

x399 - AMD Raid drivers crash WIN10 to reinstall

whenever I try to install the RAID driver, WIN 10 crashes and has to be restored.

my system:

Product Name:X399 AORUS XTREME (1.0)
BIOS Ver:4fd
Brand:Nvidia
Model:GTX 1080 ti
Model:Threadripper 1950x
Operating System:Win 10 64-bit
Brand:other - Ballistix
Size:64GB
Power Supply:1000
Memory Part No.:Sport AT DDR4-26

- updated BIOS to the latest f4d

- installed 3x M2-drives (Samsung 960) on the motherboard (for System and Caches)

- installed 4x 1TB Samsung 860 SSDs for a 0-Raid (SATA)

- created the RAID in the Bios as a 0-Raid (option for M2-raid is off)

- installed WIN10 on one of the M2

- installed chipset AMD and other drivers first, only missing ones are the RAID ones

- WIN10 doesnt recognize the RAID

- there are two RAID driver on the Support page (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X399-AORUS-XTREME-rev-10#support-dl-driver-sataraidahci)

- when I let the Device Manager find the missing driver (AMD RAID Driver Preinstall driver), the System detects the RAID and wants to reboot, afterwards I get a "Inaccessible Boot Device" and WIN is gone, have to repair it via USB-Stick / reinstall

- when I try the other AMD RAID Driver to install, I get the Info (see screenshot), that my OS is on a M2, which wont be recognizable to boot afterwards, so I cant do it and should install my OS on a non-M2 (which is not my intention obviously)

-CSM is disabled, RAID shows properly in BIOS

the Gigabyte-Support tells me

"You can only use SATA and NVME (M.2) in AHCI mode or RAID mode. This is an AMD hardware limitation"

which I find weird, that I have to choose if EVERYTHING is in RAID or not?!?

anybody got the same prob?

thx heaps,

m

0 Likes
2 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Raid needs to be enabled on all controllers, including nVME. So you will need to set the nVME Raid controller to yes or enabled.

If you want your nVME drivers to be normal drives rather than part of an array, set them as Volume drives in the BIOS/Raidxpert2 option. Then you can install Windows and then install the RaidXpert2 software after Windows has installed, and setup Raid 0 on your 4x 1TB drives via the RaidXpert2 software.

0 Likes
veracious
Adept I

Brother, this has been an issue for a while.  I ran into it a year ago.  I spent a weekend trying to get RAID to work on an X399 motherboard.  If you have Windows installed on an NVMe drive it will not work.  I had hoped this would have been addressed by now but I just built a system for a friend yesterday and the same thing still happened while trying to setup RAID.  See my post here:
https://community.amd.com/message/2917760

0 Likes