cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

X399 - 1900x temperature?

I'm a little confused and need some help...

According to AMD's website the Threadripper max temp should be 68.c, I have heard that AMD enforces a policy of a 27.c offset called tCtl which I believe is applied to tDie so if the actual maximum tDie is 95.c this would mean that either thermal throttling or thermal shutdown would occur at ( 95 -27.c ) = 68.c

So my main question is would a sustained temperature of say 72.c under full load being reported for 24 hours cause damage? I also note that my mobo manufacturer ASUS has set a temperature of 75.c I believe it is before things start to happen ( I don't know if this is a throttling temp or a shutdown temp ).

Basically what I want to know is what a proper temperature range for operating the CPU is and what sort of temperature is the danger point.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
4 Replies

As a former 1900x owner I would recommend sticking with the 68 degrees, if you are gaming you should never get up to that in any game and if you are I would recommend re applying thermal paste or looking at your thermal solution..

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

You are right, AMD's temperature rules are very confusing. Please uninstall any applications on your system from your MB vendor. Get nothing from them except your BIOS. Also remove any third party monitoring utilities. Install Ryzen Master (RM) and post a screenshot of it. It will give you the correct temperature and forget about the offset, that is old school and RM will do the correct calculation. I have a 1950X and will fire if to help you if needed. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

The 68c is the MAXIMUM OPERATING TEMPERATURE of your processor according to AMD.

Once the temperature starts reaching 68c or above the CPU will automatically start to slow down or throttle to try and keep the temperature at 68c or below. IF it can't it will eventually reach the Shut down critical temperature to prevent damage to both the CPU and Motherboard.

Running your ThreadRipper at 72c which seems to not be the critical shut down temperature but is considered to be overheating temperatures for long periods of time will shorten the life span of your processor the longer you run it above 68c.

EDIT: To prove the above statement, MISTERJ, here is a link I found that will be helpful in answering your question @falloutboy : https://techguided.com/safe-cpu-temp/'

TJunction (TJ Max) or Max Temperature

Intel defines TJunction (TJ Max) as “the maximum temperature allowed at the processor die.” When most modern processors hit their TJunction (TJ Max) or maximum temperature, the CPU will throttle and slow down so as to prevent the chip from going over that maximum temperature.

Up until the processor hits that maximum temperature, for the most part, it will run as expected (unless it runs at a level close to its TJ Max for extended periods of time.)

So, ultimately, if your processor is running close to its maximum allowed operating temperature, it is fine for the time being. Over the long run, it will wear down faster, but for the short term, you aren’t going to blow your processor (and your system) up if it is operating close to its maximum temperature.

However, if your processor is consistently operating near its maximum operating temperature while under load, that could be a sign that something is wrong.

Besides being throttle the entire time it is running so it isn't running at full speed at 72c.

NOTE: Sounds like you need to upgrade your ThreadRipper CPU Cooler to a more powerful one or clean or do maintenance on your current CPU Cooler so that it will stay below 68c.

Here is AMD Recommended ThreadRipper CPU Coolers from AMD SUPPORT: Thermal Solutions for Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processors | AMD 

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

@misterj @elstaci 

Please remain respectful of each other. It's okay to agree to disagree and we really appreciate you both taking your time to help out members of the community with your knowledge.

Please let's stick to helping out the community going forward, I appreciate it.

As this is an old topic from 2019, I will lock the discussion.

0 Likes