Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mr_smith
Journeyman III

Wraith Prism LEDs disconnected

Hey all,
I have installed a brand new Wraith Prism cooler into my computer and connected it to the motherboard via the USB cable option. At first, everything was working just fine - the fan was spinning and I was able to change the lighting effects through the CoolerMaster software.
It worked fine for just like a day. After that, I occasionally heard that windows disconnect sound (like when you unplug a flash drive), and after few seconds the connect sound again.
It took me some time to discover that it's actually the wraith Prism causing it. Whenever the disconnect sound played, the lighting effect turned almost off (the middle went dark completely, the logo dimmed and the ring was lit only at the half with white-to-blueish color).
After that, it never played the "connected" sound again and stayed like that. I tried unplugging the USB cable and connecting it again. Now the lights are all off. I tried a different port but no luck. The fan is spinning just fine, only the lightning is affected. the CM software says "Plug in the device to get started"

Any help? tips?
thanks in advance

0 Likes
9 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I would troubleshoot a bit more, if you have a RGB 12v Header I would try it. With this I think you'll loose control of the ring but at least you can do something and see if the LED's are OK.

You could also try a system restore to a point where it worked (if you have one). I sometimes to this when new drivers go nuts, it works pretty well with me.

Try scan for new hardware on device manager, see the hidden ones too. (I don't know if they would show up here since mine is on RGB header and controlled by ASUS AURA).

Another board maybe? If you have an older one laying around.

just trying to help.

The Englishman
0 Likes

If all your motherboard's USB ports are working normally then I would check the USB cable to the Prism. It might have gone bad or is damaged.

Connect the USB Cable and see if the LEDs start working if you wiggle it near the prism's body or near the Motherboard's USB port.

If the Prism came bundled with your processor which you purchased at a Retail store than it is covered by AMD 3 year Warranty.

But if the Processor is still under the Retailer's Return Date or Warranty I would go that route first to see if they will replace the Prism since AMD Warranty doesn't take affect until the Retailer's Warranty or Return Date has expired.

But I am not sure if you need to return both the Processor with the Prism to have the Prism replaced under AMD Warranty.

0 Likes

Need. 

CPU
GPU
MOTHERBOARD
BIOS
RAM
PSU
OS VERSION.
GPU DRIVER.
Information. 

0 Likes

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock ab350m pro4
BIOS: P5.50
RAM: 2X ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 8GB DDR4 3000
PSU: Seasonic S12II-520 - 520W
OS VERSION: Windows 10 Education 20H2
GPU DRIVER: GeForce 461.72

Now I've tried connecting it with the RGB cable (with the USB cable disconnected) and only the fan LEDs work and I can control them. But the circle and the logo are off completely (don't know if that's normal behavior because of the RGB cable)

0 Likes

With the RGB cable you can't control the ring and logo but they should lit normally.

Try what elstaci said and wiggle the USB cable near the cooler to discard a bad cable.

Also, have you checked device manager? After a while reading on the net, it should be there. See if its not listed under the unknown USB devices.

The Englishman
0 Likes

What about the LED Driver software for the motherboard?
You might need to install / update that. 

0 Likes

I've tried to wiggle with the connectors for a good 10 minutes, it did nothing. Not even just a short LEDs flash or something, neither the sound of USB device connection.
I've looked into device manager and I can't see it under USB devices. I still reinstalled every single one that was visible, just in case, but without any success

0 Likes

Can you see if its under the "other devices" or something, maybe not being configured properly?

If all fails, you could have a defective unit... I personally would try another board, if you happen to have one around or from a friend.

A cooler LED malfunction is not so bad, most people do tend to go to aftermarket ones most of the time (I always did). That's why I'm planning to get a RoG Ryujin AIO just before the summer and put the Wraith to rest. Don't get me wrong, the cooler is  good, I'm getting 35ºC idle at low dB but one year ago it was barely audible now its starting to go "tec tec tec tec"

I would maybe open a ticket to support and check how can you do the RMA, for ex: with my Corsair PSU that blew up, I didn't have to send everything to them.

Good luck.

The Englishman
adderek
Journeyman III

Hello,

It was a bit unclear to me:

• Wrath Prism cooler has 3 cables/connectors - not all should be connected!
  • You must connect the fan power to make it working
  • You could connect LED control cables with either
    • RGB connector
    • USB connector

The RGB is not ARGB. ARGB stands for addressable RGB. Your motherboard might be supporting ARGB but not RGB. Use USB then.

There are some motherboards with official support for the cooler. I had MSI B450 gaming plus max - it supports the cooler and (I am not 100% sure about that) I had this connected to RGB socket with "mirrage" effect on. But when connected to my AsRock x370 pro4 RGB slot - there was no support from the AMD Wraith Prism app - I had to use USB instead.

Do not connect both RGB and USB together. I did that on the MSI mobo and effects were random - sometimes it worked fine, sometimes not. Lucky it did not damage my mobo nor the cooler.

A few words about the cooler and software.

• Download AMD software to control the cooler RGB. Your motherboard manufacturer likely does not support it (even if listed as "supported") or is likely to provide less features.
  • You can control AMD logo, ring around the cooler and inner fan LEDs separately.
  • Inner LEDs in the fan can be used for the "mirage" effect (they blink but your eye sees it as if the cooler was rotating very slowly so you can se the wings)
  • When using mirage effect it is the best to avoid maximum brightness of the ring around cooler - it impacts the effect.
  • You could connect external apps that would control the color of your cooler. They all consume resources and can be quite heavy but you could use them.
  • You could use this cooler, RGB RAM modules and extra lightning but then it looks like a rainbow. Think twice. Most of the time you would not use this. But friends are stunned when they see your computer. The best in my opinion is to use 1-2 colors only.
0 Likes