cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Sucsubot
Adept I

Would AMD Compensate for a Motherboard Broken by the CPU?

My computer recently stopped working, so I brought it to Best Buy and the diagnostic revealed that the pre-applied thermal paste hadn't been enough and it evaporated, causing the CPU to overheat and "fuse" to the heatsink. This led to the CPU being removed from the motherboard without unlocking the socket first.

So either from the CPU overheating or from it being removed without unlocking, the motherboard's CPU socket is now broken, confirmed by testing done with a test processor at Best Buy. AMD has already approved the RMA for the CPU, but the motherboard's manufacturer, Gigabyte, hasn't made any communication with me for over a week after the first RMA follow-up email, after I gave them the pictures of the motherboard they requested.

Since their faulty pre-applied thermal paste was the crux of the motherboard being broken, is there any chance AMD would compensate me for a replacement motherboard if I end up buying a new one?

0 Likes
1 Solution

If Best Buy GEEK Squad was the one that removed the CPU Cooler while stuck to the CPU and damaged the Motherboard then Best Buy is responsible to replace your Motherboard not AMD or Gigabyte.

The Geek Squad, in my opinion, doesn't train nor hire good techs. They were the ones that should have known the correct process in removing a stuck CPU Cooler to a CPU without damaging the CPU or Motherboard.

Best Buy was the one the made the Customer Error so they are the ones liable. The Geek Squad is just trying to cover themselves by blaming it on the motherboard manufacturer or AMD to avoid being responsible for their error.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies