cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

TheHunter
Adept III

Windows freeze, but no crash or reboot (could it be RAM or CPU?)

The system freezes, but you can move the mouse.
Sometimes the mouse also freezes, but the screen remains active where it was, but everything is frozen and there is no blue screen and the PC does not turn off, it simply freezes.

this is occurring randomly and without heavy use and most of the time it occurs with it in IDLE.

Motherboard: Asrock x670 Steel Legend
CPU: 7600x
RAM: 2x16gb Corsair 4800mhz (not in QVL *)
SSD NVmE : KC3000 1tb for Windows and 2tb additional.
Windows 10 x64 - new installation

* The RAM with 4800mhz is not yet in QVL, but the 5200mhz version is in QVL, this could be the cause?

I already tested with 4 sticks and received WHEA errors.

now I bought a 7700x and other memories that are in the QVL to test if this could be the problem.
in the event log the most I found was error de :
amdfendr, amdkmdag.sys, Ntkrnlmp.exe, dxgmms2, VidSchWaitForEvents..
but these issues were reported at random and only amdfendr that occurred in one of the freezes, I disabled AMD Crash Defender in services, but it still froze.

This week the new memories will arrive to test, I bought Kingston and Adata/XPG now, both in QVL.
But I also bought the 7700x to test another processor.

Do you think it could be memory or processor? Or do you think it could be something else?

----

Tested with BIOS: 1.01, 1.11, 1.11 (AS3 and AS6) and nothing different in this problem with this current setup. 

----

if it's CPU, it would be very simple to do the RMA, if it's RAM, maybe it's not a problem.
The worst thing would be that I didn't find the problem even testing other RAM or different CPU.

0 Likes
11 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

TheHunter,are you using a wire mouse? What processor cooler are you using? What version of Windows are you running (winver in Command Prompt). Please post SSs of Ryzen Master (MT) in Basic and Advanced modes. Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: Wireless mouse

0 Likes

Two wireless mouse and one keyboard:

Logitech Mouse LIFT with Bolt adapter and Logitech MX Vertical with Unify adapter .

Logitech Ergo k860 with the same Unify adapter as MX Vertical.

Windows 10 x64 22H2 - 19045.2364

You can check a video I made some days ago with problem when the mouse is working but other things no:

https://we.tl/t-rqma3agNXF

advance 2advance 2advance 1advance 1basicbasic

But when freeze, the Windows task manager also freeze. I left it open to see if it gave any signal, and when the PC froze, even though the mouse could be moved some of those times, the task manager also froze.

0 Likes

My other reply was gone... '-'

You can see the video I recorded when other day the system froze, but mouse was working.

Two wireless mouse: Everything Logitech: MX Vertical and LIFT (Bolt adapter).

Logitech Keyboard K860 (Unify - same adapter MX Vertical)

Video : https://we.tl/t-rqma3agNXF

0 Likes

Hi!

This is a new profile, because I can`t post in the original, I don't know why. '-'

You can see the video I recorded when other day the system froze, but mouse was working.

Two wireless mouse: Everything Logitech: MX Vertical and LIFT (Bolt adapter).

Video : we . tl / t-rqma3agNXF

(have space between dot and bar)

0 Likes

Hi @misterj 

This is TheHunter, I could not post of my original login, because "flood" (6 messages in 6 hours.... sad).

This is the original reply:

Video : we (dot) tl (bar) t-rqma3agNXF

Thanks a lot.

0 Likes
TheHunter
Adept III

Video : we.tl/t-rqma3agNXF

0 Likes

Hi @TheHunter I recently got similar X670 platform - Gigabyte X670 Gaming X AX with 7950x and KC3000 and I am getting same issues - random freezes. I was experimenting a lot and managed to narrow down the issue to KC3000. I have hard time even installing Windows on it since it freezes all the time.

Other m2 ssds work perfectly. I tried running KC3000 on my am4 platform, Windows 11 booted fine and I had it playing Youtube for few hours without a single freeze. Funny thing - you can't install W11 on Ryzen 1, but if you install it on different platform and swap disks it runs just fine.

One last thing I tried was putting KC3000 in PCie 4.0 and setting it to gen 3 in bios - simulating what I had on am4, but it still keeps freezing.

I think there is probably some massive incompatibility issue or we were unlucky enough to both get damaged KC3000, the latter seems more likely, since it is quite popular and you can't find too many threads similar to yours.

Could you please try swapping KC3000 for some other drive and see if the issue persists?

0 Likes

Hi @krwawy_zenon ! 

You tested the 7950x with other SSD and no freezes?

My problem was the RAM, tested 4 different sticks Kingston and 4 Corsair, all freezes some time. Tested Adata / XPG and problem gone, stranger things.

The Corsair is not in ram motherboard QVL, Kingston was in QVL, Adata too.

0 Likes

@TheHunterYes, other SSDs work without any issues. KC3000 works with no issues in am4 platform. I have 3x16GB G.SKILL Flare x5 6000 in am5. Perhaps there's some weird correlation between ram and ssd, but without KC3000 everything works very well with XMP enabled, so in my opinion it's an issue with KC3000 or perhaps KC3000 + ram combo.

I'll try to reach Kingston support and see what they say.

0 Likes

@krwawy_zenon Have you tested other M.2 port in same motherboard? (Gigabyte X670), maybe is the M.2?

0 Likes

@TheHunterYes, I tested all the ports, even tried setting gen 3 in bios and it didn't help.

0 Likes