Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Cyberpunk71
Journeyman III

windows 10 power options and Ryzen 7 5800x

Hi,

I have just completed a new build with the Asus X570-F gaming m/board and the Ryzen 7 5800x processor. I have all the latest chipset drivers and windows 10 updates. My problem is high Temperatures at Idle with the 5800x. Having trawled help forums I have discovered that having your power options in windows set to anything other than power saving results in high processor usage and high Idle temps. When set to power saving my CPU does Idle at 30c whereas any other setting such as balanced results in Idle temps of 60c +.

The problem with the power saving option is my PC doesn't feel as responsive. Scores are lower in benchmark programs and FPS are down in games. I have set up curve optimizer in the bios to help with Temperatures and performance, but the biggest change by far was to alter the windows power settings.

Has anyone else found this behaviour, it's as though the windows 10 balanced option is not allowing the CPU to throttle down when nothing is running, not sure if this is a AMD problem or a windows problem?

For reference, I have a custom loop with a 120 & a 360 RAD with EK Quantem Velocity CPU block cooling this CPU, should be more than enough, on power saving plan I am quite happy with the temps, hitting low 70's in game, but feel that performance is being throttled slightly. Any help much appreciated.....

0 Likes
3 Replies
Robinhood
Adept I

Did you set a manual CPU clock speed or voltage? Do you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard? 

0 Likes

Hi Robinhood,

I have left most options in Auto but applied a max boost of 100mhz and set the curve optimizer to negative, settled on 18,18,24,24,24,24,24,24 per core which seems stable. The CPU boosts up to 4.8Ghz on all cores when called upon, I guess this is more of a niggle for me than a problem as such.

I have the latest Bios for my board which is a Beta bios 3801, the only thing it seems to add from the previous non Beta is AM4 Agesa v2 PI 1.2.0.2.

Just don't like the fact that the CPU boosts up for no real reason, all the time when power settings in windows are at anything other than power saving and as I have said, in power saving there is a definate Lag to the system, not as snappy as before.

I'm hopeful this will get sorted with future updates, not sorry I chose this CPU, it performs very well, I upgraded from an Intel I7 4770K, so quite a leap!! thanks for replying, Cyber!

0 Likes

To really diagnose what's going on, and if indeed you have a problem at all or if it's just normal operation, it would be helpful to monitor temperature, voltage, and frequency both in idle and under load. 

I think it would be best to restore BIOS settings to default for the test just to rule that out. If you would like, save your current BIOS settings in a profile so you can revert back to it later, or mark down the settings you changed. Then restore the BIOS to default settings and change only XMP to on.

Also quickly confirm by going into settings > power and sleep > additional power settings > change plan settings > change advanced power settings, that your minimum processor state is 5% and maximum processor state is 100%

After those steps, could you please download HWinfo64 and post a screenshot of your processor at an idle state with no apps open. Close out any RGB software, etc., then open HWinfo so that current CPU voltage, temp, and clock speeds are visible, and post a screenshot of that.

Then run a stress test such as Cinebench R23 and post a screenshot of HWinfo whilst the test is running.

0 Likes