cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

pietaster
Journeyman III

windows 10 1903 update and core voltage under minor load

First things first: I apologise for my english.
And now to the point. After 1903 update I've noticed, that core voltage under minor loads (like using music player, or watching a movie, or playing lite games) is sitting around 1.4 volts. I mean, if you do pretty much anything - it goes up and stays there. This wasn't the case in windows 1806: under aforementioned conditions voltage ocasionaly jumped to 1.4, but mostly stayed at around 0.8 volts.
As I'm writing this (on 1806), the music is playing in background and also a movie on a second monitor and the voltage is like 0.85 avarage. I'm using balanced power plan in both cases. Ryzen Master shows same voltages. PBO is off.
Is there any solution to this issue? Or is it just fine to run CPU under 1.4 volts all the time?

Ryzen 2600x
MB: Asus prime b450-plus

0 Likes
10 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

pietaster, I suggest it is a bad idea to use an e-mail address for a UserID.  Please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  Sorry, I do not know, therefore do not trust your applications.  Ryzen has a balanced Power Plan.  Are you running that or the W10 one?  If you have installed the AMD Chip Set Drivers (DL here) then you should be running the Ryzen one.  I have heard that W10 has changed their Balanced Power Plan in 1903, so this may well be your concern.  You can change the underlying settings by clicking "Change plan settings."  There is no problem with your core voltages but I do recommend you update to the latest AMD drives.  Please let us know what you learn.  I just checked my core voltage on my 2990WX and it varying between 1.3 and 1.4 Volts (running 1903 on W10 Balanced Power Plan.)  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Well, the thing is, RM doesn't draw graphs, and I wanted to show that voltage doesn't drop. The readings are pretty much the same in both apps. I was using the latest driver from ASUS, I'll try to install latest drivers from AMD. I've tried Ryzen power plan and it didn't do anything to the voltage. I'll try it again after installing AMD drivers (need to roll the update again first).
The difference between 1806 and 1903 balanced power plan is that in 1806, when you do something light, all cores would stay at 2.2GHz, so there is no need in high voltage. But in 1903 as long as you do almost anything heavier, than moving you mouse, one or more cores will boost up to 4.25GHz and therefore will require high voltage.
Is it really ok for the CPU to be under 1.4 volts all day long? I mean, I always do something, which means it will always be 1.4 volts.

0 Likes

Ok, so I've installed latest drivers from AMD - no changesClipboard01.png

At least one core boosts to 4.25GHz and the voltage sits at 1.4 volts

0 Likes

pietaster, it is very definitely the Power Plan and it is not a problem!  If you do not like it, go into the 'Change Plan Settings' then 'Change advanced power settings' and change the 90% to something MUCH lower, like 10%.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

It's set to 5% right now - does nothing.

0 Likes

pietaster, I set mine to 5% also and it makes a huge difference:

pastedImage_1.jpg

You can see where I reduced the Maximum to 5% and where I restored default settings.  Hope this helps.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I guess you meant minimum. Well, yes, clocks of all cores drop down to 2.2GHz in idle when you set minimum to 5%. But as long as you run any app (like music player in the background, which I do quite a lot) - at least one core will boost, and core voltage will go up to 1.4 again. Ryzen power plan with 5% minimum doesn't help with that.

0 Likes

pietaster, I said MaXimum and I meant MaXimum!  Please do not make assumptions about what you think I meant!    My Minimum default to 5%.  Setting the Minimum to 5% "does nothing".  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Wouldn't that affect your performance?

0 Likes

Sure did, pietaster.  Cinebench R20 went from 11,700 to 7,600 but the frequencies and Core Voltage was quite low.  I guess to do this in all conditions would really require many Power Plans.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes