cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Moth-TLOU2
Adept I

will tyhe cpu shut down to prevent itself from overheating causes by overclocking

Hello everyone, i need an answer please...

So i have been keeping an ustable OC for 5 months now Zen3 5700g cause it did not pass prime95 which i never had tested. And i tried yesterday

Long story short i had to drop to 4.4 ghz to have it "stable" by prime, BUT during the many attemps where i tested many times to see what freq is stable, whilst i was testing 4.6 or 4.5 my tctl would go 117c 

I run linux and i have  disabled thermal throttling or coredump, mce, watchdog etc in my custom kernel. I enabled these the next day and as soon as i would start testing 4.6ghz it would reboot pc in 2sec rather then letting it be 117c for 10min+ then freeze pc

I know tctl is not real temp BUT even if it was 20c difference from tdie which i could not check in linux, it still meant my cpu real temp would be 100c+ which is above tjunction

My Q is : despite missing thermal/ software support to shut down the pc, like it did when i enabled the above stuff, does the cpu shut down itself without software support when it reaches critical temp to save itself. Is it totally hardware depended? In this case it would not reboot in 2 secs but would freeze pc after 10min+ or whatever

Did my cpu get damaged or i dont have to worry as it froze the pc when critical reached so it didnt get "damaged"

0 Likes
8 Replies

All processors have been engineered to shut down once it reaches a critical Thermal limit to prevent damage to the CPU.

You don't need to have software to do that job. It is built in all processors.

BUT running your CPU in a overheated situation will shorten your processors life and could eventually damage it from running the processor's in excessive temperature over its Maximum Operating Temperature of 95c.

NOTE: So if you disable anything that prevents the CPU from throttling you are taking a risk of the CPU running in a overheating situation and being damaged in the long run. But once the overheating temperature reaches a critical Thermal limit the CPU will automatically shut down to prevent damage to itself and surrounding hardware.

Another words if you disable the processor's throttling feature, when it starts to overheat it won't throttle or slow down to make it run cooler than it Maximum Operating Temperature. Thus it will keep operating above it Maximum Operating Temperature but not overheating enough to trigger the CPU to shutdown that will in the long run shorten or damage your processor.

NOTE: disable your CPU Cooler fan and power up your PC. The PC will shutdown within seconds due to the CPU overheating and reaching its critical thermal limit. Not enough time for even BIOS to take effect.

Please don't do as I mentioned above it was just being used as an example only.

0 Likes

So why it did not shut down itself after 2sec as it did when software support was enabled but just froze pc after 10min+

Yes keeping it above max temp will damage it but is it that easy as even for like 1h stress at 117c tctl can instanly damage it, after all we cannot see if our OC is stable if doesnt pass prime

0 Likes

Because it didn't reach its critical thermal limit to shutdown.

Frozen PC can be a symptom of overheating.

It is best if you open a thread at one of the numerous Overclocking Forums that can help you overclock without damaging your AMD APU processor and making it run in a stable state like:

https://www.overclock.net/forums/

https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/

0 Likes

I did not know the forum. Thank u so much good sir

Good luck on overclocking your APU processor.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

Moth-TLOU2, your maximum temperature is specked at 95C and unless you enabled PROCHOT (eliminates all temperature limits) you are not running 117C. Code in the SOC of the Ryzen will shut the processor down long before 117C. I suspect temperature reporter. I recommend NOT to enable PROCHOT. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

No idea what that even is. Never seen it on kernel config anywhere. I just disable debugging stuff and thermal throttle

How come my pc wouldnt reboot or shutodwn but freeze tho? Then when enabling stuff in kernel it would reboot instantly.

0 Likes

Moth-TLOU2, most here know little or nothing about Linux, me too. In Windows, PROCHOT is in Ryzen Master and I assume it is in your BIOS. You will need to be very explicit about Linux. I have no clue what "debugging stuff" is or what it is to Ryzen. What is "enabling stuff in kernel" mean? Tell us what stuff is, explicitly. I have no idea why you are freezing. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes