cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Will this Ram, work with the 1800X, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4266 (PC4 34100)

Jump to solution

I have 32 gig of this ram from a intel build, was wondering if that ram will work with the 1800X???

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Will this Ram, work with the 1800X, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4266 (PC4 34100)

Jump to solution

Hey sovvrin,

Theoretically, yes it should work. Yet, not at the rated speed of 4266Mhz. Instead, you'll have to operate them at a reduced memory speed. Pending the 32GB is 16GBx2DIMM=32GB, you shouldn't have much of an issue operating it between 3200Mhz-3466Mhz, but instead with adjusted timings, somewhere along the lines of CL14-16 (3200Mhz) or CL16-18 (3400Mhz) instead. If the memory configuration is 8GBx4DIMM=32GB, you'll likely attain CL14-18 (2966Mhz) without much issue or CL 12-17 (2666Mhz).

Yet, even still that will all depend on a few variables...the motherboard you're using, the stability it provides via bios at time of purchase to the memory and also the CPU stability since Ryzen is a SOC etc. So a CPU overclock would need to be as stable as possible to not cause issues if applicable to your situation etc.

Keep in mind that those issues are no different than what other Ryzen early adopters are experiencing at the moment as we await motherboard manufacturers to provide bios updates as everything matures, so we can attain higher memory speeds and overclocks. Just remember that currently, motherboard manufacturers are working tirelessly to add more memory to the QVL compatibility list and some memory regardless may experience some issues in terms of reaching advertised speeds or anywhere near them.

At a worse case scenario, if you're able to accept that you may be running those DIMMS at 2133Mhz-2666Mhz until bios updates have matured enough that you can operate them at a higher speed, then you shouldn't have any worries about upgrading to a Ryzen 1800x. This is the one Ryzen component use case scenario that is going through its growing pains, some Ryzen users feel them and others do not.

The Ryzen R7 users that are attaining the highest and most stable memory speeds across multiple manufacturers DIMMs at the moment are owners of the Asus Crosshair VI Hero and the MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium. So if you are in fact still interested in building a Ryzen 1800x based system, your search should begin with those two motherboards for optimal operating conditions (after a bios update).

I personally own the Asus Crosshair VI Hero, but they're both fantastic motherboards from reliable manufacturers who provide great after product launch release support.

I hope this helps and have a nice day!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Will this Ram, work with the 1800X, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4266 (PC4 34100)

Jump to solution

Is it on the "compatibility/approved" list for your motherboard?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hey sovvrin,

Theoretically, yes it should work. Yet, not at the rated speed of 4266Mhz. Instead, you'll have to operate them at a reduced memory speed. Pending the 32GB is 16GBx2DIMM=32GB, you shouldn't have much of an issue operating it between 3200Mhz-3466Mhz, but instead with adjusted timings, somewhere along the lines of CL14-16 (3200Mhz) or CL16-18 (3400Mhz) instead. If the memory configuration is 8GBx4DIMM=32GB, you'll likely attain CL14-18 (2966Mhz) without much issue or CL 12-17 (2666Mhz).

Yet, even still that will all depend on a few variables...the motherboard you're using, the stability it provides via bios at time of purchase to the memory and also the CPU stability since Ryzen is a SOC etc. So a CPU overclock would need to be as stable as possible to not cause issues if applicable to your situation etc.

Keep in mind that those issues are no different than what other Ryzen early adopters are experiencing at the moment as we await motherboard manufacturers to provide bios updates as everything matures, so we can attain higher memory speeds and overclocks. Just remember that currently, motherboard manufacturers are working tirelessly to add more memory to the QVL compatibility list and some memory regardless may experience some issues in terms of reaching advertised speeds or anywhere near them.

At a worse case scenario, if you're able to accept that you may be running those DIMMS at 2133Mhz-2666Mhz until bios updates have matured enough that you can operate them at a higher speed, then you shouldn't have any worries about upgrading to a Ryzen 1800x. This is the one Ryzen component use case scenario that is going through its growing pains, some Ryzen users feel them and others do not.

The Ryzen R7 users that are attaining the highest and most stable memory speeds across multiple manufacturers DIMMs at the moment are owners of the Asus Crosshair VI Hero and the MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium. So if you are in fact still interested in building a Ryzen 1800x based system, your search should begin with those two motherboards for optimal operating conditions (after a bios update).

I personally own the Asus Crosshair VI Hero, but they're both fantastic motherboards from reliable manufacturers who provide great after product launch release support.

I hope this helps and have a nice day!

View solution in original post

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot , that post really helped me, I was figuring to buy 32 gig of the RyZen compatible ram, but want to give that fast ram a chance

atm i have it running at 3200 in my X99, 6850cpu, wish it was faster but i am just hoping that it will give a good clock on the Asus board and 1800x

Thanks again

Sovrin

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

HI.

I have https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16q-32gtz.

Motherboard Gigabyte gaming x370 5 BIOS F5

Ram XMP profile is not working.

Backup / High bios does not work.

PC is dead.

Ryzen 1800x LAG on PC (ram automatic 2133 CL 15...)

https://youtu.be/H0387nCwfcc

Ryzen1800x dead instal XMP profile

https://youtu.be/jKNlioGWRS4

0 Kudos