cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

AtomicHazza
Adept I

Will the Ryzen 5 5600X Processor work with my MSI X370 gaming plus motherboard?

Seen contradictory things online. Not sure.

0 Likes
14 Replies

You need to double check your MSI motherboard model again. There are no "M"370 gaming plus only MSI Intel Z370 Gaming Plus motherboard.

X370* my bad. 

Thanks for the correction.

You Motherboard's CPU SUPPORT LIST only shows AMD Processors from 3000 Series or older. Doesn't show any 4000 or 5000 series processsors: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X370-GAMING-PLUS/support#support-main-block-qvl

You can wait and see if MSI creates and updates its BIOS to accept the 4000 or 5000 series processors or not. Otherwise you will need to upgrade your motherboard to install a 5000 series AMD Processor.

NOTE: Personally I would upgrade your motherboard. the 300 series VRMs may not work well (underpowered) with a 5000 series processor installed.

What would you recommend upgrading to? 

0 Likes
Geforsikus_2021
Challenger

It seems like it should be, you have the bios version 7A33v5JS on the official website of the motherboard manufacturer.

0 Likes

@Geforsikus_2021 

That BETA BIOS version (7A33v5JS) is for Windows 11. It doesn't mention support for any AMD processors for the 4000 or 5000 series CPUs.

Generally if a BIOS version involves support for a new CPU series it would mention it on the BIOS notes.

0 Likes

Apparently they haven't released it yet, and on the site where I read the wrong information about the bios versions, there will probably be a new one soon.

vialli100
Forerunner

As elstaci said: The VRM's would not be able to give enough stable power for it..

My Asus Prime x370 wasn't stable trying to use my 3700x, so I would say no to anything other than 1st gen or 2nd gen Ryzen for x370 chipset...

You should really upgrade to an x570 chipset..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.

What do you recommend getting? 

0 Likes

If you are planning on upgrading your Motherboard to a X570 in the future and depending on how much you want to spend on a Processor I would choose a AMD 3000 series CPU that is listed on your Motherboard's CPU SUPPORT LIST.

But you also may need to upgrade your RAM if it isn't compatible with your new processor. You can find out once you install the new processor and see if it boots up without any problems.

ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Check the MSI website.

Go to their support page and select motherboards and find your exact MOBO.

For me its the MSI X370 M7 ACK.

This will allow you to see in detail all of the motherboards hardware specs and an accurate CPU support list. 

You can also check to see if you need to update your bios for any hardware you wish to use.

I always recommend only trusting the manufactures website for detail support specs on PC hardware. Gotta treat these components like a gold claim these days since their price per ounce nearly matches.

Also a cool feature of MSI motherboards in BIOS is the Motherboard explorer. You can view your whole motherboard and see detail info in real time. Hover your cursor over the picture of the board and it will magnify that section and tell you exactly what each connection is even down to the chassis fan headers and the power/reset switch/ HDD/SSD LED header.  

0 Likes
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

I went to MSI support site and it shows support for AM4 1st and 2nd Gen CPU's.

However when I clicked the link to show a list of all supported CPU's no list shows up it just redirects you to the download and support page for the X370 Gaming Plus MOBO.

Was trying to get a screenshot of your MOBOs full CPU support list to help you out.

I'm running the MSI X370 M7 ACK MOBO that support 2nd Gen Ryzen 7 CPU's the top one it will support is the Ryzen 7 2700x and that's what I'm running.

FOUND IT.

Your board will only support out of the Ryzen 5 series up to the 3600 XT and the Pro 3600.

@ThunderBeaver 

This is where you find the CPU SUPPORT LIST for the OP's Motherboard:

Screenshot 2022-01-17 213739.png