cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cedricmendoza02
Journeyman III

Will the Ryzen 3 2200U be included in the boost clock fix update?

I recently purchased a laptop and I was very excited on getting my first ryzen processor. However, things were not as I expected. I couldn't play my games because the CPU seems to be stuck at low CPU speed. around 0.8 ghz probably or less. It coudn't even reach the base speed! Is this just how the ryzen processor was designed? I was wondering if AMD could do something about this processor as well. I would be very grateful anyone from AMD would reply to this thread the soonest. Thanks!

Laptop Model: HP 14 CM0015AX

Processor: Ryzen 3 2200U 2.5 GHz

RAM: 8gb

Storage: 1tb HDD 5400RPM

0 Likes
4 Replies

Have you tested it under Heavy load? (CB20, 7zip Benchmark etc.) Also have you tried testing using different power profiles, Play on battery mode or with the power cord plugged in. and what software are you using to monitor clock speeds? 

Thanks for the reply mate. I'll give this a go later and reply to this thread with screenshots and all other helpful details. I was checking the task manager while the game was in windowed mode.

Here's what I tried.

1. While a game is on, I tried unplugging the AC adapter and noticed the CPU speed go up. Around 2.18 Ghz but I can see significant reduction in frame rate.
  2. When I plug it back in, the game goes on full speed(Tested on Resident evil 2 Remake) then gradually slows down. When I checked task manager, it 's below 1Ghz again.
  3. I downloaded the latest AMD drivers and have the latest drivers from HP for the laptop but still the same.
  4. I tried unlocking the ultimate performance on Windows 10. Had set that, but still the same.
  5. Searched the web and found that there are number of users who has the same problem with the 2nd gen Ryzen.

I haven't tried it in a power hungry applications like Adobe Photoshop or after effects. I'll do it later and post back results.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Technically the 2200G is still 1st Gen Ryzen with the 3200G being 2nd Gen (kinda, its actually Zen+ based) so the new Bios Update for Ryzen 3000 won't really do much for the 2200G. Also the only difference between the Ultimate power profile and the regular high profile is that the Ultra has the HDD sleep after 20min option turned off, you can easily do that by modifying the existing power plan. In fact if you don't mind the lower battery life, you could try testing try changing the Minimum processor power to 85-99% and the Maximum to 100% (power saver has the minimum set to 5% by default) and Click on the Battery Icon on the Taskbar and slide it to Best Performance (have to do it twice, once while in Battery mode and another while plugged in)

Also check if the included software from the manufacturer has its own battery saving feature enabled because In the past, I remembered HP having its own power saving software that also affects performance while being separate from the windows power profiles.

May Also have to check in RadeonSettings for any power saving features and set them to performance.

As for monitoring clock frequencies, try using either RyzenMaster, CPUz or HWinfo64. With Hwinfo, you can enable logging so you can check/review the data later while playing in full screen mode.

Also Photoshop and after effects probably won't stress the CPU as much, I find using 7zip benchmark (7zip's benchmark tool is located on 7zip Manager Window -> Tools menu) to be the easiest to test when checking boost frequency without being too stressful on the CPU and CINEBENCH R15/20 for testing at heavy CPU loads.

And for doing Heavy testing using Both CPU+GPU at the same time, use Blender configured for OpenCL mode. just download some of the demo files available at Blender.org to test with, like the BMW demo. Just open the file in blender and press F12 to render after selecting GPU compute in Performance section and enabling OpenCL mode.

This is very helpful. I'm sorry I wasn't able to provide the system information I promised. I'll just leave this here for AMD to note that there could be a possible issue with this CPU. Hopefully, this processor will be included in the BIOS fix. I don't have that much time to do some testing right now so I'll mark this as resolved and take your advise as my resolution for now.

Thanks for all the help mate!

0 Likes