cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

norgus_
Adept I

Will the Ryzen 3 2200G Work in a X470 Motherboard?

I keep seeing conflicting answers for this question on google, so I thought I'd come here to search for my answer. I ask this because I'm going to build a new PC that I plan on upgrading in the future. I want to start out with the 2200G and later swap it out with the 2600X when I put a dedicated GPU into my build. Is everything I'm seeing on the internet outdated information?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Excellent! You are good to go.

No you don't need to update your BIOS as the X470 chip motherboards were designed to take the Ryzen 2000 series out of the box. (Although, you might want to update it once you get the computer going, as there might be some speed fixes or such in a new BIOS revision.)

If it was a X370 chip motherboard then that would be a different story, as they were released for the 1000 series. However, if you purchased an X370 from a retailer today, there is a high chance the manufacturer has already applied the update. Looking on the box of a A320/B350/X470 motherboard there is usually a sticker saying "Ryzen 2000 Ready" or similar and it will be fine. But... there is a chance the retailer has old stock from before the 2000 series Ryzen CPUs came out, so in that scenario, the board would need an update before continuing.

NOTE: After the Ryzen 3000 series CPUs come out later this year, the same thing will happen to the X470 board. So if you are planning on keeping it for the future 3000 or even 4000 Ryzen CPUs, update your BIOS *BEFORE* the CPU upgrade.

So, with your X470 board, you can put a 2200G in it, or all the way up to a Ryzen 7 2700X and it will detect the processor and run fine.

Enjoy!

View solution in original post

10 Replies

All Socket AM4 processors are compatible with all Socket AM4 motherboards.

Will it work if I just plop it in, would there need to be any specific bios update I have to put on first?

0 Likes
vyp3r
Adept I

The reason why you get conflicting answers to this question, is that some X470 motherboards (like mine), do not have HDMI or DVI outputs on them. So they will take the Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G just fine, but what won't work, is the Vega graphics in the APU. You will need a dedicated graphics card to go with it.

The motherboard I chose has an HDMI connector on it, I guess it’ll all br good then! Is there any specific firmware updates that I’ll have to make for it to work or is that a concern that has been fixed by this point in time?

Excellent! You are good to go.

No you don't need to update your BIOS as the X470 chip motherboards were designed to take the Ryzen 2000 series out of the box. (Although, you might want to update it once you get the computer going, as there might be some speed fixes or such in a new BIOS revision.)

If it was a X370 chip motherboard then that would be a different story, as they were released for the 1000 series. However, if you purchased an X370 from a retailer today, there is a high chance the manufacturer has already applied the update. Looking on the box of a A320/B350/X470 motherboard there is usually a sticker saying "Ryzen 2000 Ready" or similar and it will be fine. But... there is a chance the retailer has old stock from before the 2000 series Ryzen CPUs came out, so in that scenario, the board would need an update before continuing.

NOTE: After the Ryzen 3000 series CPUs come out later this year, the same thing will happen to the X470 board. So if you are planning on keeping it for the future 3000 or even 4000 Ryzen CPUs, update your BIOS *BEFORE* the CPU upgrade.

So, with your X470 board, you can put a 2200G in it, or all the way up to a Ryzen 7 2700X and it will detect the processor and run fine.

Enjoy!

given I have one of the original B350 boards I have to update the BIOS as they are released should I desire anew processor

the R5 2400G is 4 cores 8 threads so it is plenty for gaming with any graphics card out there, it can even handle dual cards if needed

Correct

0 Likes

The lower cost R3 2200G is popular for those using only the integrated graphics, I went for the better version so I would have a faster more powerful processor to handle an uppity video card

As long as the BIOS is updated, you can use any processor on any socket AM4 motherboard. I have a MSI B350M Bazooka board and it can use any processor.  My motherboard has video support which lends itself naturally the R5 2400G. 

I have an R5 2400G which has Vega 11 graphics but the integrated graphics can be disabled if a video card is used.

The 2400G has an option some processors do not have.With an M.2 SSD and the integrated graphics it can be a powerful basic work box.

Shove a GTX 1060 in the slot and it becomes a solid gaming platform. All depends on how it is configured. 

noodles59
Miniboss

Just check CPU compatibility with your x470 board manufacturer and you will be fine if listed - disregard all else but note the minimum bios required.