cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

msimic
Adept II

Will the 5800X3D support EcoMode?

I know that generally talking about unreleased products is not a good idea, but it is at least announced.

I would be able to preorder the X3D before it goes out of stock when released, but I have a requirement, since it will go into a mini-ITX build with limited cooling and power.

I need it to support EcoMode (or lowering TDC/EDC...).

Since the CPU is said to not allow for overclocking I am concerned that it might not support neither EcoMode.

Can someone tell me if this is the case or not?

I would be sad if I need to go through a RMA process, and would prefer to not order and skip the upgrade if there is no support for this.

Regards

0 Likes
12 Replies

Here is AMD Specs on the 58003D Processor: https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d

Screenshot 2022-03-13 220146.png

I believe everything else that you are talking about concerns your Motherboard's BIOS settings.

The Specs doesn't mentioned if the processor is locked or not for overclocking but does mention maximum boost UP TO 4.5Ghz

But from what I have read the Ryzen 7 5800X supports Eco Mode so I would assume so will the Ryzen 7 58003D processor.

Both have the same TDP Rating of 105 Watts.

Both Processor have almost identical specs except for a couple of differences. This Tech article give an in depth analysis comparing the 5800x and the 58003D processors: https://www.wepc.com/cpu/compare/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-vs-ryzen-7-5800x3d/

I would open a ticket with your Motherboard's Support and ask them if the processor will be supported by your motherboard and if in BIOS Eco Mode will be compatible with the new processor.

0 Likes

The motherboard manufacturer can support only what AMD allows, and if AMD does not allow changing voltages/current/TDP through Agesa then there is not much they could do if EcoMode requires one of those to be changed.

I guess it depends on both sides, AMD for Agesa and the motherboard manufacturer for the toggles in the BIOS.

I sincerely hope there will not be side casualties with this decision from AMD, because overclocking functionalities are shared with underclocking and undervolting that try to achieve the opposite.

0 Likes
msimic
Adept II

Bumping, since the X3D is now released, but I still do not have a definitive answer.

Does EcoMode actually work for the 5800X3D?
The setting is in the BIOS but if it actually works depends on AMD (since some overclocking functions have no effect in the BIOS, this could also be one of them).

Can someone test if toggling it actually affects the TDP of the CPU?

Thanks

0 Likes

I can confirm that eco mode doesn't work on the 5800x3d at all. The option is completely gone in the bios of my ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming motherboard. Spent hours experimenting to try to get some way to lower power draw with no success. This is enexcusable AMD. I understand disabling PBO as an option to prevent over voltage. But you should have allowed an eco mode toggle and the undervolting features like with every other processor. What a waste of money. I have an ITX system and have a 50mm CPU height limitation. So I have always relied on undervolting and reducing power draw with eco mode. Now I have a system that always is stuck thermal throttling with the 5800x3d. Should have bought an Alder Lake I5 12500. Could have bought that and a ddr4 motherboard for cheaper than this piece of hot junk and had a performance uplift over my old setup. What a money hungry and restricted company. I think I'll go Intel and Nvidia next time. Wasn't happy with my 6900xt either. MSRP was way too high. 

All Eco mode does is run the processor down to the equivalent of a '65W TDP' CPU.

You can do this yourself by going into the AMD Overclocking options in BIOS, enable PBO and manually key in 88/60/90 for the PPT/TDC/EDC values.  Save and you're done.

Ryzen Master can do this on the fly - you can even create different TDP profiles and switch instantly between them.

0 Likes

All PBO options are disabled in the bios once you install the 5800x3d. So no, you can't just go in an input different values as I said in my response. All of my other 5000 series processors (5600x and 5800x) I have been running a custom power limit via PBO that matches up to the cooler capacity as well as a -10 curve optimizer offset. These options don't exist once you slot in a 5800x3d because the bios is so locked down and there is no excuse for this from AMD. They could have simply set an upper limit in PBO so you can't increase power limits and voltage above stock, but they didn't because they are lazy. We should have the option to set lower voltage and power targets. This should have some customization options since they advertise it as the "ultimate" gaming processor". Garbage. 

I completely agree, I have a 5900x and all I did was undervolt it to keep it cool and even limit threads when I play games. With the 5900x staying at the 50c temp range, under 60w and 4.7ghz while playing a maxed out game, it was great. Recently bought the 5800x3D with the plan to undervolt it and found out I couldn't with the Ryzen Master program. I get why they'd disable it for overclocking, but why disable it entirely for everything else? I should be allowed to disable cores and lower voltage. There's no reason for it be running at the 70c temp and for it to spiking up to max 4.5ghz when I'm just browsing the web. I should be able to tune it for what I need it to do. The 5900x ran in the low 40c temps when browsing the web, the 5800x3D should have no issue doing the same, but I can't adjust it with Ryzen Master. Just typing this comment, my 5800x3d is hitting 68c, it bothers me enough to made this account just to air my frustration in this thread.

I was going to say try disabling PBO but it looks like that happens by default

Ah, I didn't realize PBO was unconfigurable with the X3d.  I agree, it sucks that you can't set lower power limits or voltages.

Is the Platform Thermal Limit setting still available in the BIOS?  That's the best way of setting a max temp limit that you don't want the CPU to exceed.

Also, you can limit CPU frequencies using Windows power plans - the CPU will consume noticeably less power and run noticeably cooler if you prevent it from boosting by limiting the clock speed to the base clock.  You can do this in the Power control panel by reducing the Maximum Processor State percentage - lower the number until the CPU no longer goes past its base clock (3.4 I believe?).

Or, you can use Quick CPU which exposes all of the hidden power plan settings available in Windows - you can then explicitly disable boosting with the setting 'Processor performance boost mode' and setting it to 'Disabled'.

The nice thing about using Windows power plans is that you can create any number of them with the settings that you want and switch them on the fly.

As another user pointed out, the pc power plan looks like a possible remedy for when I'm just browsing when dealing with high temps for basic PC usage, unfortunately doesn't solve my main issue of not being able to undervolt.

Just throwing this out there for those wondering, I have a B550i Aorus Pro AX. All options are disabled, including ECO and any sort of manual tuning for CPU when the 5800x3D is installed.

0 Likes

I had overheating issues when all cores were at full load and I managed to fix it by reducing the PPT in the BIOS (I have MSI 470).

The PPT option is still available, even though all other options were removed. Setting it to 90W helped reduce the maximum temperature to ~80°C while not reducing single core boost.

I've got this info from this Reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/uai5h3/does_5800x3d_have_eco_mode/

0 Likes

Eco mode is not present, however Package Power Limit Control is still functional (as long as you're setting a lower than stock value, stock is 142W), allowing you to achieve the exact same thing, but with even more granularity, since you don't just have one mode that sets it to 65W and that's it. With Package Power Limit Control you can set any wattage between 35W and 142W. 87W would be what Eco mode would set it to (65W TDP CPUs run at 87W PPT).

Package Power Limit Control is found in AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options > SMU Common Options > Package Power Limit Control. Change from auto to manual, and enter "87" if you want it to function exactly like the standard 65W Eco mode.

0 Likes