cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

pat_2004
Adept II

Will Ryzen 3rd Gen Desktop CPUs support Windows 7?

Hi,

I am aware that it's possible to install Windows 7 on a PC with Ryzen 1st Gen  or Ryzen 2nd Gen  Desktop CPUs. However Windows 7 does not install or work with on Ryzen G processors.

AM4 motherboard vendors released drivers for Windows 7 64 on AM4 platform too stating that Windows 7 can only be installed when AMD Pinnacle Ridge, Summit Ridge or Bristol Ridge CPUs are installed on the board.

Now that 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUs are about to be launched soon, is there any information available about any possibility of Windows 7 installation on systems designed with 3rd Gen Ryzen Desktop CPUs? Will Windows 7 be supported on Ryzen 3rd Gen CPUs?

Thanks and regards. 

26 Replies

Since Windows 7 will be End of Line  or Non-Supported by Microsoft with any more Windows updates after January 2020,  It is a good chance there might not be any drivers for your motherboard in the future compatible with Windows 7.

I would open a Support Ticket with the manufacturer of the Motherboard you are planning on using for your Ryzen 3xxx and ask them if Windows 7 will be supported since they are the ones that supply the drivers for your motherboard.

I suggest you upgrade to Windows 10 before purchasing a Ryzen 3xxx processor and motherboard so that it will be supported in the future.

Best thing to do is wait until the Ryzen 3xxx is sold to the public and then go to the motherboard support site and see if it is compatible with Windows 7.

misterj
Big Boss

pat_2004, I would really like to know why you want to use an unsupported OS.  For an answer now, I recommend to contact AMD Online Support.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

upgrade to windows 10, it's better for gaming but be prepared for clean installs just like you had to do with windows 7 occassionally

0 Likes

0 Likes
pat_2004
Adept II

Thank you all for your replies. 

elstaci - That seems like a good approach. In fact I checked Gigabyte site for X570 chipset boards. Though still CPU support list is not updated, they are listing drivers for Windows 10 only.

Now if Windows 7 drivers made available for other chipsets like B450, X470 will work with Ryzen 3xxx or not, I guess will have to explore after a while after its release as fans of Windows 7 & those in the IT Hardware field might experiment with it.

misterj - I just love Windows 7. Great personalization, fast, not very resource hogging, my old programs run well in compatibility mode whereas they break on Windows 10 and several more reasons to stick to Windows 7.

The Ryzen 3rd Gen Desktop CPUs have been sold. Do you have any news about compatibility of win7?

I like Win7, too. I don't want to change the operating system.

I liked Windows 7 as well but I used 8, 8.1 and for the last few years 10

now that windows 10 has matured game issues are largely behind it

windows 7 has less than 6 months of extended support left

0 Likes
Journeyman III

Ryzen works fine on Windows 7. I run Windows 7 64 bit, and have an R7 2700X.

Just be aware that you have to do a couple of steps to make it work, and in the correct order. Number one, when you first install Windows, if you attempt to go to Windows Update for the first time without putting the patch in first, you will discover that it will continue to say "searching for updates" for hours on end. This is being done by Microsoft on purpose. Microsoft is trying to stop people from using Windows 7, and they are doing this by attempting to stop you from getting the updates. There is an easy way around this. For this, you install this patch below first, as soon as you get on your desktop, and before you use Windows Update. It is KB3102810-x64 at the link. I repeat, do not go to Windows Update yet when you first get on your desktop after installing Windows. If you do this, you will end up never being able to get Windows Updates ever. As soon as you install Windows, and get to your desktop, Install this update below first.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=49540

Install this, and then reboot. After rebooting, now go to Windows Update. You will now find that when you go to Windows Update, it will discover the updates. Download, and install all the updates, and then reboot. Now, go back to Windows Update to attempt to get the next set of updates. You will now discover that after you have updated Windows partially by installing the entire first set of updates that Microsoft will now claim that your Ryzen hardware is not supported. At this point, you now install this at the link below. After this, reboot the computer again.

https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

Now, when you go back to Windows Update, all the other updates will now be available.

Also, you need to have Windows 7 on a thumb drive with the added in USB 3.0 drivers for your Windows install. Asus and Gigabyte both offer a tool that you can use to add the USB 3.0 drivers to your Windows ISO. If you do not add these USB 3.0 drivers, your keyboard and mouse will not work during your install of Windows. If you have an NVME drive, the tool also allows for those drivers to be added. You can pick either one at the links below.

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/EZ Installer/HelpDesk_Download/

download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_windowsimagetool_B18.0213.1.zip

They are both easy to use, and if you have trouble, you can find videos on youtube showing how to use them.

My Ryzen 9 3900X works fine on Windows 7, however I seemed to have lost all my USB ports on the back of my motherboard since the on-die Matisse USB 3.0 controller is not supported on Windows 7 and has no drivers from AMD.

However, with a bit of hacky-whacky, I managed to get it working by tricking Windows 7 into using the Ryzen 1000/2000 driver anyway. I figured AMD wouldn't have changed the on-die USB controller significantly. It should work on all pre-x570 motherboards, since the controller is standalone and on-die. I'll tell you how to do it, however;

DISCLAIMER: This workaround is at your own risk. I have not extensively tested it except for that it now works and I'm typing this post in Windows 7 on the Matisse USB 3.0 Controller.

Now, without further ado:

Foolproof Matisse Windows 7 USB tutorial:

Plug keyboard/mouse in front-usb so you can navigate Windows 7

Download the latest AMD Chipset Windows 7 drivers from AMD: www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x370

Start the installation such that the installer extracts its contents into C:\AMD. You don't need to finish the installation, but it can't do harm either.

Browse to C:\AMD\Chipset_Driver_Installer\AMD_Chipset_Drivers\MSIFiles\program files\AMD\Chipset_IODrivers\USBController Driver\Win7\x64 and open 'amdxhc.inf' in notepad.

We're going to trick Windows into installing drivers for Ryzen 1- and 2000 for the 3000 series. Find this block:

[AMD.NTamd64]
    %AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_145C
    %AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_15E0
    %AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_15E1
    %AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_145F

Change DEV_145C to DEV_149C, resulting in

[AMD.NTamd64]
    %AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_149C
    %AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_15E0
    %AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_15E1
    %AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_145F

Go to device manager, right click the unrecognized USB controller "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" and choose "Update driver software"

Choose "Browse my computer for driver software"

Click "Browse" and direct it to C:\AMD, and make sure to check the checkbox "Include subfolders". It should now search for your modified .inf file. Alternatively, you can direct it all the way to C:\AMD\Chipset_Driver_Installer\AMD_Chipset_Drivers\MSIFiles\program files\AMD\Chipset_IODrivers\USBController Driver\Win7\x64

You will be prompted to install the driver software. Choose "Install anyway"

You're done. USB works.

Yes, only editing the inf files is enough to works well on X570 + ZEN2 CPUs and don't need to modify amdxhci.sys and amdhub3.sys.
But you must have ps/2 mouse orkeyboard to intsall the AMD chips driver first,and than install the mod usb driver.
I test on Asus X370-I and MSI X570 gaming plus, they both can work.
There are something that need to note:
1? WIN7 install.win must include KB3033929.
2?Do not Inject the USB Driver to install.win.
3?Before you install the USB driver, you must AMD chips driver first.
If you do not do that 3 points , you will miss BOSD.

------------

If the mainboard don’t have PS/2,you need a PCI-E to USB 2.0 card from ebay or similar ( ~ 4 € )

@1984 big thank you for such a detailed post. Yet I am a bit confused.

As you mentioned - Also, you need to have Windows 7 on a thumb drive with the added in USB 3.0 drivers for your Windows install. 

Is this step going to help to detect Front USB ports i.e. controlled by the chipset I assume? You mentioned that in your case back USB ports did not work but nothing is mentioned about front USB.

If so, can’t I use mouse & keyboard plugged into front USB ports to navigate during or after install?

I won’t be now using Windows 7 in 2021 but my hope is to be able to get basic working of Windows 7 with Ryzen 3000 just to be able to activate it with my key so that I can check if upgrade to Windows 10 from within can get me a digital license, not so sure but will try.

Thanks & regards.

0 Likes
ryegrass
Adept I

In the comments, 1984 states that his 3900x works fine. Would you be so kind as to tell me which motherboard and bios you are using?

Thanks, Randy

0 Likes
ryegrass
Adept I

Actually after some research, I have successfully installed Windows 7 on a MSI X570 Gaming Plus with a Ryzen 3900X and am posting from that computer now. See the link below for a YouTube video on how to do the installation and where to get X570 beta drivers. Also see the comments as to alternate installation methods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6_MdxMUpRE

ryegrass wrote:

Actually after some research, I have successfully installed Windows 7 on a MSI X570 Gaming Plus with a Ryzen 3900X and am posting from that computer now. See the link below for a YouTube video on how to do the installation and where to get X570 beta drivers. Also see the comments as to alternate installation methods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6_MdxMUpRE

I do not understand the resistance against windows 10

0 Likes

Here are some links I just grabbed from the first page of Google. There are literally 100’s of problems with Windows 10, most caused by their take it (sorry there’s no leave it option) of forced updating. And those are all or (again no option for nothing).  Not to mention telemetry (which the EU is again investigating), adverts, and poorly designed interface. The question should be why so many people are putting up with this constant merry-go-round. It’s like the old joke about the man when asked why he was hitting his head against the wall said: “because it feels good when I stop”. Of course Windows 10 users will tell you all the tweaks, scripts, add-ons, metered connections, etc. necessary to just use the operating system and never step back and think why am I using this at all.

Microsoft Warns Windows 10 1903 Update Breaks Bluetooth Forbes
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/08/24/microsoft-windows-10-update-problem-bluetooth-warning-upgrade-windows-10/

Why Windows 10 Sucks or
Everything Wrong with Microsoft Windows
https://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

Windows 10 has another irritating problem as Microsoft confirms new bug
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1150705/Microsoft-Windows-10-update-bug-fix-VPN-issue

Yet another bug with this months Win10 1903 cumulative update: PIN knockout
https://www.askwoody.com/

My Razer keyboard is USB. my mouse is bluetooth and I use bluetooth headphones for gaming, all work fine

VPN are mostly used by pirates, so they lack credibility

PIN, I use my phone to secure my machine when I am out, works fine

so better look more closely at the actual bug list

Flight Hub - Windows Insider Program | Microsoft Docs 

0 Likes

The point is that you asked why there is resistance to Windows 10. I’m glad you personally are happy with it and have no problems, but I didn’t want to waste a lot of time looking for or vetting links. Those were just the first ones that popped up on Google yesterday and are just the most recent in a long line of monthly problems over the past several years.

the flight hub is the most active debugging of windows or as I like to call it, the festering bug list

I have used windows 10 since it was a preview 

keep in mind i am skilled at fixing problems with my box and that took a lot of deep thinking to master it

0 Likes

...a few reasons.  Windows 7 simply works.  It has the original start button.  it has Media Centre (which some of us still prefer).  it installs with far less useless "fluffware" one needs to to get rid of (and doesn't throw any more at you every 6 months) and fairly "lean" in comparison to 10.  It has a normal Windows desktop instead of looking like a giant smartphone.  It lets those like myself continue using older hardware that isn't supported by W10 (like my engineering trackball I bought years ago which I really don't care to replace because it works just fine).  it is no longer a prime target for hackers.  I'm not into being an unpaid beta tester for Microsoft.  

Oh, and having been involved with computers for over four decades, I don't need MS holding my hand every moment of the day or a digital "nag" that you cant completely wipe off your system. 

Crikey the other morning on ZDNet, it was reported that the latest patch Tuesday update addresses something like 55 flaws. four of them rather serious.  Not very reassuring (it seems to be a recurring theme as well). 

ryegrass
Adept I

Yes, Windows 7 works fine on the X570 chips. I've been running it with a Ryzen 3900X since Nov 2019. The reason I'm posting to what is now a very old thread is to let anyone who still runs across these posts know that Windows 7 can be made to work on the new AMD 7000 series processors. Canonkong has modified drivers which allow the use of a 7950X on the MSI MAG B650M Mortar.

https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/s...trollers-of-new-amd-chipset-systems/33603/780

Kyoto_kid
Adept I

...so a 5950X will work with W7 Pro then. Does that include ASUS?

0 Likes

A 5950X can definitely be made to work with W7 Pro on all of the MSI X570 boards, however the ASUS boards have some significant challenges. If I'm remembering correctly, only certain older bios versions will work with ASUS boards without freezing during boot, as well as not being able to use the modified for Windows 7 universal USB3 driver. The link below is the beginning of the post for using modern AMD processors and boards with Windows 7. It's a long thread to wade through, but does cover what necessary to use an ASUS board.

https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/solution-win7-8-1-drivers-for-usb-3-0-3-1-controllers-of-new-amd-c...

0 Likes
Kyoto_kid
Adept I

..thanks I prefer ASUS as I've never had an issue with their boards, one that is still running since i bought it over a decade ago.

I couldn't agree more, I have 2 Asus P8P67 based computers from 2011 which are still working well and was a little concerned about changing brands to MSI (which I had never used before), but it's been 3 years and counting with MSI, so far so good.

0 Likes
Kyoto_kid
Adept I

..OK did a little price shopping and came up with the following

AMD Ryzen 5950x 470.00

MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard: 139.99

Corsair Vengeance LPX 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory 369.99

be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler 89.90 (my case has room for this)

Total: 1078.88 (which comes in at about 282$ less than the "old school" update below.

Intel Broadwell E5-2695 v4 18 core 2.1 GHz Xeon: 592.10

128 Hynix DDR4 2666 ECC memory: 298.88

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRA-O ATX Server Motherboard LGA 2011-3: 379.99

be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler 89.90

Total 1,360,87

So not only a savings but far better CPU performance and more up to date components.

0 Likes

If you do decide to go with the 5950X as your CPU, just make sure that the VRMs on the motherboard you chose can handle the wattage.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/l9tsa8/5900x_peak_power_draw_which_is_it/

0 Likes

Why did you pick such a low speed ram? Ryzen 5000 series officially supports ram at 3200, should also be able to run ddr4 3600 also.

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero - Ryzen 5950X - Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black - 32Gb GSkill DDR4 3800 - Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC V2 - Samsung 980 Pro, 970 Evo Plus, Corsair Force GT - Super Flower 1000W Leadex SE Platinum
0 Likes

...my system is a workstation for 2d and 3D graphics production where most of the rendering weight is carried by the GPU and don't do games. Usually higher memory speeds require overclocking the memory Did find a 128 GB 3200 MHz kit for lust a bit more than the 2666. 3200 seems to be the cut-off before needing to overclock memory. Faster memory will still run at 3200 but then its a waste of money.

Good point on the VRM Yes the B550 A-Pro runs hot The overall best MSI 570 board for the 5950X is the MSI MEG X570 Unify as it has 2 PCIe 4.0 x16 slots with Ryzen 3rd gen. (I have a 12 GB 3060 and eventually will be looking to update to a 3090 as VRAM is important for what I do). The Unify is about twice the price, but running at stock clock speed, it should have no issue with the 5950X It also comes about 100$ total for the upgrade compared to my "old school" build.

Overclocking doesn't really heighten performance much for 2D and 3D production (I also don't do animation) and have no interest in gaming.

0 Likes