cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tatapisto
Adept I

Will it be possible to install Windows 7 on the new Ryzen 2600/2600x/2700x...?

I can see on Gigabyte website that for instance Gaming x470 Motherboard has Windows 7 driver. When Reading the manual it states it support windows 7 but not on GEN2.
On your website there is the chipset driver for windows 7 for gen 2 (except the one with integrated graphic).
Could you please clarify that point?

Thanks in advance as I am waiting confirmation for an order of few mid end rigs and those new CPU seems awesome.

0 Likes
1 Solution

The statement above is accurate. We offer the same support for Ryzen 2 as we did with Ryzen 1 with regards to Windows 7. If it worked fine before, it should still work fine.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Windows 7 is not officially supported with Ryzen, Kaby Lake, and newer processors by Microsoft, nor by AMD. Some motherboards have Windows 7 drivers by the manufacturer, but not all boards by all manufacturers do.

0 Likes

This is not the answer I am asking. Everytime someone ask this question, someone come to talk about official support or windows 10 which is not the question. There is an official support by both AMD and some Motherboard. So in advance I don't care about Windows 10 and microsoft forcing user by scaring them.

I am asking wether it is possible or not to install it. You say "Windows 7 is not officially supported with Ryzen, Kaby Lake, and newer processors by Microsoft, nor by AMD. "

So what is this? http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/16/5/1524218902-supp.png

0 Likes

That is AMD's official stance, taken from the PCWorld article but it's the same response across all tech sites. amdmatt​ can tell you if there has been an official change in support stances.

0 Likes

"Can you install windows 7 with Ryzen 2600/2600x/2700x?"

What is it that you don't understand in the question?

First gen works great on windows 7 (better for movie editing, and better in some games).

I ask if ryzen 2600/2600x/2700x also work on Windows 7 as 2200G and 2400G can't be installed with windows 7.

Here It states drivers for windows 7/10 for Gen 2:
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/16/5/1524218902-supp.png

All I want is an official confirmation, not some PCWorld quote from early 2017...

0 Likes

The statement above is accurate. We offer the same support for Ryzen 2 as we did with Ryzen 1 with regards to Windows 7. If it worked fine before, it should still work fine.

Well thanks a lot. I was not expecting this kindness treatment from AMD.

In that case I will stick with the reds for all my customers including pro and gamers. Thanks a lot for that answer.

Yes. It works fine. I have ASUS Crosshair VII Hero and although ASUS provides chipset only, Intel's 211-AT drivers are available for 7. The only thing i use that requires Win 10 is Premiere Pro CC as they took away Dolby DIgital and are using native decoding. Encore still can transcode to DVD.

It actually works better than i thought it would and the Gen 2 Ryzens are definitely better than the first Gen. They actually provide decent coolers even if you want to overclock. Not the shabby ones Intel includes (although they do work, they run warm). I have a 240 rad and this 2700x doesn't run warm at all and without overclocking it goes to 4.3 on it's own.

0 Likes
ix-9
Journeyman III

OK, and what about the next ZEN2 - 7nm (next year)?

Will it have the same - not exactly official, but still... - support in Windows7/x64 too?

OR, there will be absolutely NO support??

The answer is essential for me. I am planning to upgrade to LAST Win7x64 supporting hardware!

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

I can only comment on current products, sorry.

0 Likes

I'm going to say yes assuming it's still AM4 and using an X470 chipset. AMD has a much better track record of supporting operating systems and not bowing to almighty Microsoft.

But remember support for Windows 7 updates ends in 2020.

0 Likes