cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Will AMD release DDR4-sockets and processors in 2016?

I'm saving on a new mainbord / cpu but would really like to use an AMD cpu with DDR4. So..

Will AMD release DDR4-sockets and processors in 2016?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Will AMD release DDR4-sockets and processors in 2016?

Yes, with Zen in Q3-Q4 2016, but they will require Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Will they support common Linux distributions? Debian? I thought AMD would have very open source drivers and therefore big compabilites..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

OS support comes from the OS manufacturer. Microsoft has decided to only provide OS support for Windows 10 when it comes to CPUs. As for Linux you would have to ask the developer of whatever distro you are using.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

If Microsoft doesn't support AMD Zen products on anything but WIN10 their HQ would be burned to the ground...

I expect all major O/Ss to support the Zen based products including Linux as AMD has already supplied the drivers and details to the Linux programming community.

As far as DDR4 is concerned, it's primarily for servers at this point in time as DDR3 running at 1600 MHz. or higher is not a system bottleneck for a single CPU powered desktop PC. Memory benchmarks show the potential of faster RAM, not the actual system performance improvement. If there is no system bottleneck then faster DRAM or more DRAM channels don't provide any tangible system performance improvements, which is confirmed by tests using real applications. Servers with multiple processors and large data loads do benefit from faster DRAM and more channels. We need much faster single CPUs to saturate dual channel of 2133 MHz. DRAM so I hope those engineers at AMD are working hard! <LOL>

There is a discussion on DDR4 and quad channel RAM at the link below.

Why is there no Quad-Channel DDR3-Memory-Interface in the AMD FX-Processors?

0 Kudos