cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

markolufc
Journeyman III

Will a Ryzen work with my GS800 PSU?

I have a Corsair GS800 PSU. I bought it 6 years ago and spent a lot of money on it intentionally for longevity and reliability.

Now I'd like to know if this PSU will work with a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU and compatible motherboard, specifically an Asus Prime B350-Plus

I've heard a few horror stories of Ryzen not working with certain PSUs, but there seems to be very little on the subject, so it's difficult to find out what specifications make a PSU compatible, or is it just a gamble, and no one really knows?

Someone said any high quality functioning ATX PSU from the last 10 years or so should work fine with it, as long as it has the relevant connectors (24 pin mobo and 8 pin ATX).

It doesn't seem quite so simple as that, however.

Someone please help? I've been agonising over this for hours now and I'm exhausted!

0 Likes
10 Replies

Re: Will a Ryzen work with my GS800 PSU?

Will it work? Yes. Is it going to blow up? No. Should you take the opportunity to upgrade from that basic, entry level power supply to something more modern that you'll not have to worry about again for another decade since you're going to have to empty your case anyway to install new hardware? Yes you should.

0 Likes
markolufc
Journeyman III

If it's going to work and it's not going to blow up or destroy anything, I can't think of a good reason to buy a new PSU. I'm on a limited budget so I'd like to make use of what I've got if I can

0 Likes

Just don't do like me and think like that only to upgrade after a couple of months.

0 Likes
markolufc
Journeyman III

I can't really see what the problem with doing that would be, other than the minor inconvenience of having to swap the power supplies over. If I find a reason to buy a new power supply in the next couple of months then I will, but if it's going to work then why spend money that I don't need to? I bought the power supply in the first place because it's high quality and if it dies on me then it won't take anything with it. I intentionally spent a lot of money on it for that purpose. If it dies in the next couple of months then it's not a big deal to replace it.

0 Likes

I was talking about my motherboard and NVMe SSD, considerably larger pain to change, though I route my cables through the back of the case for neatness.

0 Likes
markolufc
Journeyman III

That's not a PSU though lol

0 Likes

No, but spending $350 on a motherboard and drive and then buying new ones gets expensive.

0 Likes
markolufc
Journeyman III

You're not being particularly clear. Are you saying you had a GS800 PSU and it fried your motherboard and your SSD?

0 Likes

No, what I'm saying is that before you press that order button, make sure you don't have any regrets.

0 Likes