cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

retro1988
Adept I

Re: Why no output on VGA monitor with Ryzen 2200G/ASUS PRIME A320 M-K?

I would like to buy an apu ryzen with a b450 motherboard and I have a vga monitor

they advised me that the solution is to adapt dvi-i - vga

and seeing around I noticed that some motherboards do not allow the conversion from dvi to vga and the ryzen in the specifications does not include support for the vga

I do not want to buy a new screen because that I have is working.

I can not believe they do not allow the transition from digital to analog.

have you tried maybe with an active adapter that coneverte the signal from analog digital type hdmi-vga or display port-vga?

0 Likes
retro1988
Adept I

this is an example:

you can see the motherboard doesn't allow to use an adapter to dvi -vga

0 Likes
retro1988
Adept I

mothe auros.png

0 Likes

No, I never tried any adapters because I read mixed opinions online about different types of adapters, some people got them to work, others didn't, it sounded risky so I couldn't be bothered to go through that hassle of buying one, trying, if it didn't work buy another one and so on, besides adapters seem like only a temporary solution.

What Rysen you want to buy? Rysen 3 2200G or Rysen 5 2400G? My motherboard is the ASUS PRIME A320 M-K. Since you want to buy the B450 motherboard, I guess not all of them work the same way, who knows? I suggest you ask in the store before you buy to test your new PC working with a VGA monitor to make sure it works for your setup.

My experience with store clerks and even ASUS, AMD support has been frustrating to say the least, they care about selling, that's it, you need to ask specifically what you want to test before buying or they won't care too much, in a hurry to just sell. After several contacts with AMD and ASUS support, I could never get an answer about this whole issue, only very vague and useless replies, some of them acted like they didn't have a clue, nobody could explain to me the technology and technological reasons behind what happened.

Probably, VGA won't work, like it happened to me. At first I didn't like the idea, my VGA monitor has been working fine for years but I quickly came to terms with tech evolution, if VGA is being phased out and discontinued, why insist on using it? Doesn't make sense in the long term. Sooner or later we will have to give up VGA monitors. Consider the same solution I went for to avoid more hassles, you can just buy a decent HDMI monitor, same size as your VGA one, for a reasonable price.

0 Likes
retro1988
Adept I

I would like to buy a ryzen 5 2400g initially and in the future if there is the possibility to add a dedicated card. this is the first option. the second option would be to buy a ryzen 3 2200g and at the same time buy me a dedicated one if there is an offer. but the second hypothesis excludes it. but now I'm looking for a way to use the VGA. apparently they did so both motherboard side and processor side not to make compatible with the VGA. and so we are forced to switch to the new technology. and it seems logical to me because it is a function of profit. I honestly do not want to spend money on a new monitor. because what I have is enough for me so I wanted to find a cheap adapter. but reading you and others. it seems not to be possible.

this is the motherboard I had chosen. since it had the VGA output. but it seems unitile with these new processors.

Asus PRIME B450M-A/CSM

PRIME B450M-A/CSM | Motherboards | ASUS USA

and at the moment I'm considering buying a hdmi monitor

would you have someone to advise me?

maybe you write me what you bought.

thank you

consider also that I am waiting for the csm of las vegas because the new ryzen will come out and I want to see the prices and release dates. and then at that point I adjust and I buy everything

0 Likes
retro1988
Adept I

but it seems useless with these new processors.

would you have someone to advise me?

could you recommend some monitors?

0 Likes

My board also has a VGA port but didn't always work, as I said before, I finally was able to get it to work with VGA as 2nd monitor. It was confusing, if the VGA port is there, if it works, why not just make it always work like the HDMI port? But oh well. Maybe it was even harder for them to make the VGA port NOT WORK since it's already there, due to some obscure deal between companies to sell more HDMI screens. I'm not an expert in monitors, I'd say just check the current prices, I guess many manufacturers have quality, if you find a good price for one of those, or a special deal, take advantage. I bought a LG screen and so far I'm satisfied with it. Good luck.

0 Likes
retro1988
Adept I

the doubt would come to push the sale of new screens and to put in the cellar the analog ones (VGA), we will never know. the fact is that it is very uncertain.

or that maybe the motherboards were produced before the processors, who had abandoned the vga technology to give space to the hdmi. certainly technology always goes on and of course digital (hdmi) necessarily takes place analogue (VGA). more than anything else it is my desire to continue using my old vga screen because even if it is not full hd it does its nice job with exceptional results.

1366x768 - 16/9

great for an apu ryzen I read

For now, the research has told me that you must also have luck in finding those who have already tried.

but of course there is a risk that it is not always good for you.

so I'm considering the idea of ​​a new monitor.

I would like to use my old samsung hd tv which has a hdmi attack. just that I do not know if it could work.

you could kindly tell me the model of your monitor if you like so I can see it.

thank you

0 Likes

retro1988​ that's exactly what I said, it might be deliberate by these companies to push sales of new HDMI monitors. That also explains why nobody from AMD and ASUS gave me an answer, weird how nobody had a clue there, or didn't want to have a clue, with these commercial deals, they keep the information to themselves, hidden from us, the customers.

If you really want the Ryzen APU, I think just buying a new HDMI monitor is the best option for you, as it was for me. Your HDMI TV will probably work, while I was trying to solve this whole mess, to troubleshoot I connected my new Ryzen PC to my HDMI TV via a HDMI cable and it worked. However, this was only temporary, to install the operating system, since I had no other way to get an image since boot and see what was going on. It's up to you but for me, thinking of using a big HDMI TV with my PC long term was not convenient at all, I needed a proper monitor to place on top of a desk. The big HDMI TV has another use for me, Xbox games, that's what I like a big screen for.

The HDMI monitor I bought says "IPS LED", LG on the front, nothing else, so I'm not sure the exact model, it has energy saving and all those "green", tree friendly fancy words. You don't have to buy exactly what I bought. Check the current prices and all brands, find one that seems like a good deal, with quality not for an exorbitant price.

0 Likes
retro1988
Adept I

in fact I want a small screen maximum 18.5 ''

I'll do the TV just like you to install windows

I wait until January without haste before choosing for a new screen

also because finding them so 'small with hdmi is difficult

yes l'apu ryzen I saw it as a good deal since it has the graphics chip

but this vga thing annoys me

I do not want to give up my old monitor

only for the gains of x or y enterprise

the csm of las vegas in January present the new apu ryzen hopefully

and I also hope they are compatible with the vga

even if I do not delude myself

thanks again for your availability and your help