cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

fnordie
Adept II

why is my 2600x with 95W TDP is running much hotter than my previous FX 6350 wich had 125W?

never got near 70c on FX.

handbreak brings my ryzen 2600x to +90c in under 5 minutes. wraith spire

0 Likes
11 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

fnordie, there are many threads here about CPU temperatures.  I answer one or two a day.  Your specifications:

2600X.jpg

You should measure CPU temperature ONLY with Ryzen Master.  The default profile (tab) is read only and will not OC you rig.  Enjoy, John.

hi misterj!

what CPU do you use?

i allready know the specs of my CPU!

and yes i know about ryzen master, but HWInfo64 also gives me the same reading.

also no answer to my question? thanks

0 Likes

fnordie, I know nothing about the FX6350 and have no answer for your question.  Perhaps someone else does.  What difference does it make?  They are two completely different processors based on completely different technologies and processes.  Many here are disappointed in the boxed coolers.  I suggest that if your CPU gets close to the maximum temperature limit, then you may need a new and better cooler.  I went to AIO water cooler several generations ago and have never had a problem.  Here are my system specifications:

ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Pro Gaming, Threadripper 1950X, 2xSamsung SSD 960 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD

960 EVO on ASRock Ultra Quad, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL [Flare X (for AMD)] F4-

3200C14Q-32GFX, Windows 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler,

Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.0

Enjoy, John.

i am just confused about what the TPD actually means.

i thought like more TPD = more power consumed = more heat generated.

i think i can answer my onw question now.

today i played a little bit with bios settings for PBO (Precision boost overdrive, under AMD CBS, then NBIO) when disabled the pemperature is copareable to my old 6350!

also the new version of ryzenmaster has readings for PPT TDC and EDC.

i will attatch 2 screenshots, one with PBO disabled in BIOS (Asrock x470 fatality gaming k4) and one enabled. now i no longer wonder why this is getting hot with PBO enabled.

if your 2600x is hitting +90c disable PBO in bios. on my asrock it was enabled by default i think.

PBO DIsabled in BIOS

amdpbooff.PNG

PBO Enabled in BIOS

amdpboon.PNG

maybe this helps someone else too

2600x cooled by Arctic Freezer 33 TR

asrock x470 fatality gaming k4 (nearly same as master sli)

i would love to measure the W consumed by my entire system to see how much more PBO is using (or wasting ).

0 Likes

fnordie, cool.  Thanks for posting.  You might try AIDA64.  It has a free trial which displays some power numbers as these:MyPower.jpg

Some values may not show due to being free version.  You could beg, borrow, rent or buy a power meter for your power line into the computer.  Amazon has them for USD 20 to 50 or so.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

i forgot to add i am running with -100mv vcore amd -35mv memory controller in the screenshots above

too scared to find out how much vcore its getting without the offsets

0 Likes

This is a common misunderstanding about TDP and what it means. A 95W TDP (Thermal Design Power) means that if you build a PC with it you need to design a cooling setup capable of dissipating at least 95w to maintain normal operation, under normal environmental variables (ie, room air temperatures). 'Normal operation' means running at the advertised base speeds, which in the case of the 2600x is 3.6Ghz.

However, this says nothing about how hot the chip gets, how much power it uses, or what temperature the chip safely can run at - that's all listed separately. The FX-6350 has a listed maximum temperature of 61'c, so it needs a higher capacity cooler to keep it under that temperature. The 2600X on the other hand has a specced maximum temperature of 95'C, so even if it uses the same amount of power it doesn't need as much to cool it. This is reflected in part in the TDP.

The X series processors use XFR and Precision Boost, and if they're running cool they will draw more power to push themselves faster - which in turn means they'll draw way more power and generate more heat than the TDP specification suggests if they safely can. Precision Boost Overdrive will raise the limits on how much power they allow themselves to use, so you basically have a processor that's overclocking itself whenever it's below the maximum temperature. That in turn means it will spend a lot more time at or near its maximum temperature than an older processor will, by design. Putting a beefier cooler on doesn't change that until the cooler gets beefy enough that the CPU can't boost any higher. My CPU cooler has a 300W theoretical dissipation capacity, but the CPU can still get up to the mid seventies under synthetic loads.

Most people think that TDP = Power consumption = heat. They're related, but it's more involved that that.

So let me ask you a question then - are you stating that you should intentionally use poor cooling solutions so that the 2600X doesn't push itself as much?  You are stating that the best cooler in the world for it would just make it try to run even hotter and eat even more juice, endangering it even more?

0 Likes

you can always disable Precision Boost if you dont like (are not comfortable with vcore) that feature.

on my old fx i had turbo always disabled because it wasnt working as well as XFR2/PBO.

on my system i have only xfr2 enabled, PBO is giving too much vcore for my liking. in games i loose 50 to 100 mhz with PBO disabled, but this boost is not worth the additional power consumption and heat in MY opinion.

0 Likes

Yeah that's kind of what I am asking - does it seem right to you that a selling point of the chip - an advertised feature - could help kill the chip itself using default settings with the cooler that was designed for it?

0 Likes

we dont know what the CPU can take. the older FX are rated for 70c max IIRC. our CPU should throttle (runn less mhz) when reaching the thermal limit (or power limit). laptops also run hotter than desktop pcs, no problem.

i also read that high volts are shortening lifespan more than high temps.

with PBO i think every board maker is doing its own thing. they like to add extra voltage for stability? so every user is satisfyed and dont need to manualy increase vcore?

AMD official PBO was added about 2 weeks ago to ryzen master, before it was only possible via bios.

we coould use more information regarding XFR PBO.

but your right marketing getting ridicolous. i have asrock board with the bios having lot of bugs, wrong info on homepage.

0 Likes