cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Why does my TDP hit 70+ on stock R71700?

Untitled.png

All in the title really.

Started the other day after I crashed on Universe Sandbox 2. Prior to that I had prime95'd fine on 1.425v 4ghz with no weird TDP readings. Now it won't even get past the first pass.

Have updated to new bios today but no luck. Add insult to injury now all the clocks require more volts and my corsair vengeance mem doesn't even run at XMP still.

Feels like a duff chip but I can't see how at such reasonable volts and temp. Maybe it shorted? Again confused as standoffs in place and connections are all in well.

No instability on stock but very little headroom apart from that now.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

Re: Why does my TDP hit 70+ on stock R71700?

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Apologies

pastedImage_0.png

Forgot to mention when I boot after a while (usually for the first time that day) the CMOS reset screen comes up asking me to select my settings and the time is incorrect.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

well ryzen learns what it can do and cant. same as it will clock higher with better cooling. sounds like  ryzen is keeping it in its cache to hold back. hope that makes sense. well either way. have you actually cleared the cmos. i would do that and reset everything. also try to set ram timings manually its best that way.

looks like it locked you back to 65watt thats the problem mixing non-x cpu's with xfr boards  . what type of ram , system everything. the xfr board may let you overclock but it sounds  like it crashed pretty rough. ryzen not happy. it may need reset. lets find out.

when you clear cmos also unplugg pc and hold the pwoer button about 30 seconds until all power is drained from dram sys.

never ever ever ever run prime 95 again thanks. and you ran all cores same time too ouch.

do you have your loadline set in the bios previously?

if clear cmos dont work a cpu reset may be needed . we dont want to do that if possible.

can you get hwinfo or aida64 instead of hwmonitor plz. it just dont work well. it will help.

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Just got a new MOBO and processor...

Literally exactly the same readings

IS HW MONITOR BROKEN?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

your tdp is hitting 73 because. you have turbo mode on or set on auto hitting 3.74ghz.  my 1800x shows 144w @4.0 ghz on aida  anything over stock will use more.

resolved. !

0 Kudos